Whole house water filter

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

artie

Sawdust manufacturer.
Reaction score
Water quality is quite bad, sometimes downright disgusting, so I've decided to invest in filtration.

As is usual with something I have no previous experience with, the internet is awash with info.

So probably best to start here and ask for some first hand experiences.

I can’t help you much with water softeners in general as it was 20+ years ago when I last had dealings with water softeners and no doubt the technology has moved on . What I can say is if you have a modern condensing boiler you should pay particular attention to how a softener can affect your boiler. If my memory serves me correctly then softened water can be piped to a combi -cold water mains inlet (I’m referring to Worcestershire Bosch ) other makers may advise differently but the system itself should be not be filled with softened water. Provision should be made to be able to fill the system from mains water upstream of the water softener and the usual inhibitors used to protect the heating circuits. Hope this is helpful and not too confusing. There are also inline limescale filters that for £50 or £60 can protect all your taps showers and washing machines etc . If your reference to “ the water is sometimes disgusting “ then a cheaper alternative may be to invest in a specific tap that provides filtered drinking water ( these tho typically req you to change the filter cartridge on a regular basis . Some will also provide water hot enough to make a cuppa direct from the tap itself. Good luck a little research can go a long way and could save you £££££

This company make filtration systems for any purpose; from rucksack to whole village !
Their filters are fine enough to make river-water, or even sewage, Drinkable to UK Government Standards !
Their filters are used by UK military and very many foreign governments and private companies too.
They are very populr with "Expedition Organisations".
I've used them for fourteen years....I've found that their smaller systems are too expensive to maintain....
= = = I now use their 20 Litre Jerrycan for domestic tapwater improvement And I LOVE it !
( It makes a lovely Cuppa ! ) - If you Study their website Very Thoroughly you will save a lot of time with them on the phone.
I suggest that you Then phone customer-services and discuss your needs with them.
You will find them extremely helpful.......Not a cheap cure for your problem; but an entirely trustworthy one != = = Water Purification Products – Removes Virus, Bacteria & Protozoa

Because of elevated levels of arsenic in our tap water, I bought a reverse osmosis filter a few years ago.
It was about 400 Euros initially to have it installed and another 50 or so every year to change the filters.
I have the water analysed from time to time and they say it's OK now.
That's just on a single tap in the kitchen, though.
There are RO systems for the whole house, but it's pretty costly.

If you need one, then get one. They are not large and because you would install it it using three taps in order to provide a bypass in case of need to service it you can easily take it with you if you move house. We bought one 25 years ago and have taken it with us. Works as well today as new. I recommend buying a non electric one. An example is kinetic, others are available. They have 2 chambers in parallel, whereas the electric ones have a single chamber. The incoming water goes through a meter similar to the water company’s meter and after a preset amount has been filtered it uses the water pressure itself to close supply to one chamber and do the regeneration process (flushing a reverse flow of salty water through the chamber out to the drain, and then clearing that with a washout using clear water from the other chamber.) whilst it is doing this which takes about 20 mins, the house operates on very slightly reduced water pressure. The two chambers take turns to be flushed. It is maintenance free, you just have to feed it with 2kg blocks of salt. Electric ones refresh on a timer that typically are set to refresh at the same time in the middle of the night irrespective of water usage which is wasteful of salt and leaves you without any water whilst it does it. But twin chambers hydraulically powered are or were, about twice the price. As soon as you have one you will spend way less on all sorts. Less on washing machine detergents; turn off the softener in your dishwater, less shampoo, no descaling stuff for showers etc and no ball valves in toilets or tanks will furr up.

Back