Who would want a Vintage Mortising Machine?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cumbrian

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
The Howgills, between the Dales and the Lakes
As the title! I’m looking for any suggestions for an organisation or individual who’d be interested in a working vintage hand lever operated mortiser. I’m not looking for any payment for it, but as it was given to me I’d like it to be used, restored or displayed rather than go for scrap.
The drawback is the size and weight of the machine - it’s floorstanding and cast iron, so would need a suitable vehicle and muscle power to collect (CA17 Cumbria, about 15 minutes from J38 of the M6).
I’ve attached some photos of the machine and I’ll also post in the For Sale section at some point.
The manufacturer’s name on the badge is R Slinger & Son of Preston.
Any suggestions, or interest from a vintage machinery enthusiast?
Mortiser - 1 of 5 (1).jpg
Mortiser - 2 of 5 (1).jpg
Mortiser - 3 of 5 (1).jpg
Mortiser - 4 of 5 (1).jpg
Mortiser - 5 of 5 (1).jpg

Attachments

• Mortiser - 1 of 5 (1).jpg
    Mortiser - 1 of 5 (1).jpg
    237.3 KB · Views: 665
  • Mortiser - 2 of 5 (1).jpg
    Mortiser - 2 of 5 (1).jpg
    234 KB · Views: 647
  • Mortiser - 3 of 5 (1).jpg
    Mortiser - 3 of 5 (1).jpg
    212.5 KB · Views: 753
  • Mortiser - 4 of 5 (1).jpg
    Mortiser - 4 of 5 (1).jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 660
  • Mortiser - 5 of 5 (1).jpg
    Mortiser - 5 of 5 (1).jpg
    245.6 KB · Views: 647
There may be someone on here who would like it. IIRC we have two members who already own one.

If there's no response after a week or two I suggest putting it on eBay with a low starting price - that will give you maximum visibility.
It may take a while to re-home, but I agree it would be a shame to let it go to scrap.

Do you have many chisels for it?

Edit: Oops - I see them in the box in one of the pikkies.
AndyT":1h7eptfz said:
...IIRC we have two members who already own one...
I have a Carron Colonial solid chisel mortiser.

Carron.jpg

With a set of chisels 8)

Carron2.jpg

Unfortunatey it's in storage until I free up the X, Y & Z movements :oops: .

Cheers, Vann.

Attachments

• Carron.jpg
    Carron.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 591
  • Carron2.jpg
    Carron2.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 613
Someone did a lovely restoration of one of those a few months back. Surely there is someone here who would do something similar for this one.

MikeG.":1j7fdk1e said:
Someone did a lovely restoration of one of those a few months back. Surely there is someone here who would do something similar for this one.

Mike, I think a machine of this quality would even work in bog oak! (And if your workshop isn't big enough you could build something nice with a timber frame...)
Oh and I think you probably need some more five bar gates around your property. :)

:lol: :lol:

I rather like chopping mortices out by hand. If I didn't live 300 miles away I might just have had a cheeky little look, but that's a return trip which would be measured in weeks in my old van. Besides, the border control around them there parts can be a bit hostile for us soft southern so-'n-sos.

MikeG.":1vcqv58s said:

I rather like chopping mortices out by hand. If I didn't live 300 miles away I might just have had a cheeky little look, but that's a return trip which would be measured in weeks in my old van. Besides, the border control around them there parts can be a bit hostile for us soft southern so-'n-sos.

No problem with border control - that’s a few miles further north! :wink:
I’m an ex-soft southern so’n’so; you just need thicker socks. Can’t help with the old van though....

Good for you Cumbrian.
Talk about buses. None for ages then 3 turn up (4 with Vann's) at once. Well within the lifetime of these machines at least, in somewhat of a hurry.
Here's the pretty one Mike was talking about.
triumph-mortiser-restoration-t116867.html?hilit=triumph
A Proper Restoration.

Here's my far simpler rescue, inspired to sort it by the above restoration. It has some interesting information later on including some references to your model being converted for more modern purposes.
reynolds-hand-morticing-machine-restored-finally-t118724.html?hilit=Morticing%20machine

I'm not going to suggest you keep it of course but what I thought originally to be fairly agricultural turned out to be a fine tuned mortice cutting ninja.
I have enough space to keep mine. As a strictly hobby time restricted noob mine is a luxury.
If I was a serious worker I'd probably dismiss it but I think for the right maker it could be a real worker. Definitely niche but these days who knows...

Fair play to you.

cumbrian":32xhjoo7 said:
MikeG.":32xhjoo7 said:

No problem with border control - that’s a few miles further north! :wink:
I’m an ex-soft southern so’n’so; you just need thicker socks. Can’t help with the old van though....

Just checked your postcode...you're still a Southerner :lol:

MikeG.":231s88ow said:
I rather like chopping mortices out by hand...
I think using one of those does count as chopping mortises by hand. (hammer)

The American ones are foot powered, so that would be an 'out' for you.

I bought mine: partly because I was on a hand tool 'kick' at the time, but also because the total cost, including the full set of chisels, was less than the cost of two hollow chisels for a powered mortiser That's to say, it was an affordable way to get a mortiser (the only way I could justify buying one for the number of mortises I chop - total to date = zero :oops: ).

Cheers, Vann.

If not already taken could I throw my hat in the ring. I've always liked these things and would love to give it a forever home

wallace":whan2lsu said:
If not already taken could I throw my hat in the ring. I've always liked these things and would love to give it a forever home
It would mean that you could carry on cutting emergency mortices if a power cut stopped your other machines! :D

Seriously though, it would fit in well and give 100% guarantee that it would be properly appreciated.

cumbrian":38grc1p8 said:
wallace":38grc1p8 said:

Gladly! I’m about to go out for the day but I’ll respond properly this evening or tomorrow.

Hi Wallace

I’ve just tried sending you an email via your UKW profile - can you let me know if you don’t get it

Many thanks

Back