Who would like to see more Comparison Tool Testing in GWW?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Steve
Which Basato? The 3, the 5? Reason I ask is I was after a Basato 3 a little while ago, but heard some unfavourable things about them. I don't recall details off-hand, but I'd quite like to hear about it. Regardless of the model!! :) (Some handy tips may be useful, too...)

Ooo could that be a possibility of another section on the forum, Charley?
'TIPS AND TRICKS'

Ta muchly

Gary

Hi Steve

Very nicely put
And if you are offering, a review of the Jet Bobbin Sander would be much appreciated.

All the best

John

Hi Alf

Yes, I can confirm it is the 5. :oops:

Steve used it to show me how to cut variably spaced dovetail pins with a bandsaw jig.

Cheers
Neil

Hi Pete

This is an example of an FWW test which gives the sort of detail that I would love to see printed here.

http://www.popularwoodworking.com/features/12vdrills.0203.pdf

When you look at the charts, at the bottom of pages three and five, you can instantly see how the various drills have performed in the tests and differences in weight etc.

My suggestion is that if, say two issues later, you review another drill in the same category that you add/replace the results of the drill being reviewed to the group test and print the updated charts from the group test.

By publishing the test results, as FWW do, you would surely strengthen your market-leading position with your readership. This, in turn, would make it more attractive to advertisers.

I appreciate that you might well suffer a short-term loss in terms of advertising revenue, but would that not be replaced by increased readership and new advertising in Good Woodworking?

Cheers
Neil

Morning all - and a jolly fine one it is too down here in GW towers - please don't wreck it too much for me today :D

A thought:

A quick check through the last 10 issues showed that we have actually had 6 comparative tests in that time, ranging from pro random orbit sanders to spindle moulders to impact drivers to biscuit jointers to pro pullover mitre saws to glue guns. Pretty good average I reckon for a mag that 'doesn't do comparative tests'. Several of them covered everything that we could get hold of within the testing criteria.

It's also worth just mentioning that our 2 best selling issues this year were based on a general 'buyers guide' to power tools and a similar on table saws. Interestingly our poorest selling issue was when we did a comparative test of entry level spindles. Food for thought!

Pete,
Things seem to be getting a bit heated around here lately. Please don't take things the wrong way-it's nice that folk are getting so passionate about wood things I guess! :lol:
The fact that you want to hear our opinions on the content of the mag is heartening-keep up the good work. Obviously, keeping your eye on this forum gives you a flavour of what we are currently interested in!
keep up the good work,
Philly :D

P.s. Can't you tell Corkey to get stuck into some REAL woodworking-he's as lazy as me when it comes to getting projects done! :lol:

i agree, heated threads are all well and good, but people should`nt start taking things to heart.

the mags we have are better than nothing, I think that some people just feel they could be better...............

keep up the good work

regards
steve

Hi Pete

Good morning to you all at GWW Towers. :wink:

As I said yesterday I think GWW is the best WW magazine available in the UK and I am grateful that you and particularly, Andy, give your time and advice freely.

Please be assured that I am trying to be constructive.

Pete Martin":3oz8358g said:
A quick check through the last 10 issues showed that we have actually had 6 comparative tests in that time, ranging from pro random orbit sanders to spindle moulders to impact drivers to biscuit jointers to pro pullover mitre saws to glue guns. Pretty good average I reckon for a mag that 'doesn't do comparative tests'. Several of them covered everything that we could get hold of within the testing criteria.

The comparative tests that I have seen have normally been good. I think everyone would like to see more of the same.

The only one that, I feel, missed was the bandsaw in the latest issue.

The only point I personally feel should be addressed is the one in my last post in this thread.

It's also worth just mentioning that our 2 best selling issues this year were based on a general 'buyers guide' to power tools and a similar on table saws.

That's very interesting because I thought I sensed yesterday that you wanted to put your funds into projects as opposed to tool reviews. So, what about the Autumn tools issue? :wink:

Interestingly our poorest selling issue was when we did a comparative test of entry level spindles. Food for thought!!

I really don't think that's a fair comparison (no pun intended). The only person I know who has a spindle moulder has it sitting unused in the corner of their workshop.

Cheers
Neil

Pete martin says..
please don't wreck it too much for me today
:D

Andy King says
Hopefully the lid is back on the last can of worms!!! :D

Hey, I was quite happy to leave it alone. Others aren't apparently.

It seems a contrary view expressed strongly is a little too much for some. They can't even accept with good grace an apology. Fine by me.

the mags we have are better than nothing, I think that some people just feel they could be better...............

Says it all really steve :roll:

hey ,
Easy on now-no need to go locking down threads, freedom of speech, etc.
If we start censoring peoples opinions what's the point of a "forum"?
Let's be cool people :D
respectfully,
Philly :D

Hi Philly,

Correct!
We asked for constructive criticism and took it all on the chin, (even some of the more unsavoury stuff) and tried as much as possible to explain how the magazine works and the problems involved, and actually gave specific pointers to stuff already in the mag that was being asked for (comparative testing is our usual way of group testing, with six in the last ten issues) Newbie Neil asked for grids indicating tool specifics, this is done in the group tests as well. OK, we may not be as exhaustive as FWW in the grids, but basic quick info is there if you need it.
I have been on the mag for five and a half years, and I don't recall a group test without one, though no doubt someone will prove me wrong!
Deleting a thread will only mean we have to go through it all again!
Myself and Pete assume that the quietness of the threads involving these, and our subsequent postings indicating that they are already in place could be part of the reason maybe?
Again, we wait with bated breath! :D

Andy

Quite agree, but let's not assume this is getting too heated shall we. I for one am totally happy to indulge in a little good hearted banter and don't take too much of this as serious attacks. Indeed my opening comment this AM
please don't wreck it too much for me today
was nothing more than a tongue in cheek wind up to all and sundry. Yes, I take my job seriously but at the end of the day there's more to worry about in life than whether one jigsaw is better than another. Stay Cool - as I think some one else just said

coolness is the way forward, chill-pills all round!

Philly, Andy, Pete,

Well said the three of you.
Just leave as is and lets move on.

Sorry Neil I don't go along with hiding it away.
Lets just leave it

John

Reading this thread has been really enlightening but just to put the record straight - I think GWW is the best magazine (for me); I enjoy it thoroughly and will certainly not be cancelling my subscription. It is something that I look forward to each month.
Thanks to all the guys on the magazine and to all the folks using this forum who have contributed to the debate here.
My best wishes to all concerned with both the forum and the mag, (especially those with bad backs at the moment).
Let's see what we can debate next, then!
Cheers.

SF

Bilzee, For Gods sake what happened to your sense of humour.

Hey, it tends to get smothered when there is so much bull flying around.

To my mind this happens to be an important issue.

That it seems to have got lost because some did not like the style of its delivery is even more annoying and I have taken the responsibility for that.

Basically its just two simple truths which I feel can't really be faulted.

1) Woodworkers who are in the market for a tool/machine and who need guidance would much prefer comparative testing.

2)Anyone or organisation or magazine, whoever, whatever, who presumably consider themselves as skilled and expert enough to report on the fitness or otherwise of said tools/machines and admit to having more than one paymaster with sometimes contrary expectations cannot be considered to be Independent.

Its that simple.

I rest my case.

Sense of humour will be restored from now :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back