Who sells pre-stain wood conditioner?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Polly13

Reaction score
I recently stained some pine, but it went blotchy, and I've been advised to sand it down again then apply some conditioner before staining again.

Do any of the big national retailers sell it? When I did a Google search, it looked like I could only buy it online.

Wood Finishes Direct is my (online) supplier of choice - BUT I stained some ordinary pine recently and, as recommended by a friend, wiped it down with methylated spirits (sparingly, on a rag) then let it dry before applying the stain - 3 thin coats, excess wiped off and a very light de-nib with a fine-grade scourer between coats. Very even finish.

Last edited:
I had the same headache as you, as I couldn't find the stuff as most places that suggest it are American and for whatever reason most of the ones that come up in these articles are not commercially available in the UK.

The good news I've found is you don't need it to buy it. Use 8:1 water: PVA instead, apply two soaking coats then stain. Works a charm (did my chest on chest this way).

I've even used white school/PVA glue and it doesn't make a blind bit of difference as far as I can tell, as long as it's PVA you'll be fine; always try it on a scrap offcut from your project first though so you can make sure the colour is what you wanted...

See below link for guidance:
Finishing Tips #6: Homemade Blotch Control Instructions

Last edited:
Back