Who needs a planer/thicknesser anywy?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes that was probably a huge tropical tree that had stood for many decades, but then old Henry cut down many of our own majestic specimens just to build boats.

Yes that was probably a huge tropical tree that had stood for many decades, but then old Henry cut down many of our own majestic specimens just to build boats.
Good job he did or you would be speaking French, Spanish or German now

So if I understant it, because Henry devastated Brittain's natural woodlands to wage war, English is the spoken language instead of French, Spanish or German.

That's interestng given that he origins of the English language comprise French 41%, German (anglo saxon) 33%, Italian (latin) 15%. The Spanish didn't really get a look in.

All those 'far eastern' videos give me shivers up the spine. Blokes wearing flip flops , clapped out tools and exposed blades are all accidents waiting to happen. It's not Africa, they have the money and you have to wonder why they don't invest a little more in their safety ?

You should see them using circular saws, while holding the component with their bare feet :eek:

Life might be cheap there, but it appears toes are cheaper
Exactly. I saw one bloke shoving a board into the thicknesser with his bare feet ! o_O

Good job he did or you would be speaking French, Spanish or German now
Just like we ended up speaking Norman French after they took over?

And anyway, what's wrong with ending up with a language change? There's a reasonable theory that it would have been better if Germany had won WW1 - that was all about empires and spheres of influence, not ideologically driven conquest, so even if we had ended up speaking German, so what? Life under our wing of the Saxe-Coburgs would have continued much the same, Cousin Willy could have been calmed with bit of colony-trading, and maybe Cousin Nicky could have been persuaded to join the 20th Century.

No Russian Revolution, no WW2, no Holocaust, no Cold War....

Back on topic for a bit............ Fair play to the guys for the skill displayed, shaping the material. But 1 out of 10 for furniture design, It felt like it could have been for the Boss Man's house, where he could enjoy it for a while, but as it was several lumps of barely worked timber, it could easily be cashed in at a later date, when timber prices rose

Whenever I try to power plane off boards It leaves a line alone the edge of each pass, I did wonder about releaving the corners of the blade?
Steve.

Back on topic for a bit............ Fair play to the guys for the skill displayed, shaping the material. But 1 out of 10 for furniture design, It felt like it could have been for the Boss Man's house, where he could enjoy it for a while, but as it was several lumps of barely worked timber, it could easily be cashed in at a later date, when timber prices rose
Probably a better rate of return than the building society.

Back