Who has taken them!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In an Efficiently-Run Health Service All ambulance stations would have their own bulk-fuel-tanks & pumps.
The government could then aggree bulk-purchase prices for the fuel and contracts which would Prioritise NHS Fuel-Deliveries. - It's just unfortunate that the overpaid managers within the NHS haven't realised this
NHS managers are smarter than you think. They realise that owning and running petrol storage is unnecessary. A petrol station near me simply holds a reserve for ambulances, when it stops serving retail customers because it has "run out" it still retains a substantial reserve for emergency vehicles under contract.

a cop I know up in Manchester said a while ago an average of 50% plus of new cops has a Uni degree......mmmmmm
I asked what they do for commonsence......
we've let the tail wag the dog for tooooo long......
unions are c@rp so thats not the way to go......

when in buisiness I used to charge what I thought was a fair price for my skills....always had plenty of work.....often people would try to negociate...
they were showed the door....
it's nice to save a few quid but there are conciquences to that SOMETIMES...

I read a couple of years ago that Google and Uber were collaborating on developing Self Driving lorries, self driving cars are just round the corner, but lorries with all the driver issues, limits on hours ect is clearly somthing worth persueing. Google and Uber may have subsequently had a falling out (?) but given the present shenanigans you can bet that the development is continuing apace somewhere. I believe that farming is another area where super high tech is already having an impact and given the environment they operate in you would think its even easier to self drive a combine or a tractor.
Steve.

but nowhere near as much fun. I would work on a farm if all I had to do was drive the combine 👨‍🌾

The average age of a farmer is between 50 and 70, depending on which doom - laden report you want to read. Young people are not becoming farmers because everyone wants indoor work with no heavy lifting, and who can afford to buy a farm?.

Mostly the kids take over the farms and certainly round here theres plenty of young farmers. Got knows why, i hate poo

In an Efficiently-Run Health Service All ambulance stations would have their own bulk-fuel-tanks & pumps.

And allowed to run on red. This should include the police, fire etc too.
Years back a job came up in plymouth for the nhs. The job description was to find ways to reduce costs for the local nhs trust. The pay was listed as £430 a day!!!!! I applied ( obviously no chance ) and stated that my first act would be to save them 200 a day by taking a pay cut 🤣
But that goes to show how stupid the system is. There's plenty of intelligent people who havent been through uni etc and ive met quite a few on building sites.....

The HGV and fuel "crisis" is a harbinger of things to come.

The average age in the building trade is now over 50. Young people looking for their first job simply cannot cope with, or don't like, with the physical effort necessary.

For the past 4 decades "professional" work has tended to carry a pay premium. Why get cold, wet and ache when you can sit in an office and earn more money - brain not brawn rules!

Brexit and Covid has crystallised skill shortages in the UK due to failures in training provision. In a largely unregulated free market it falls to businesses to respond. They have failed to do so, finding it easier to make up national deficiencies by recruiting overseas.

The relatively low regard and pay for traditional trades arose in large part as manual effort was the early and easy target for automation and cost reduction. Artificial Intelligence may now increasingly marginalise "professional" skills in the same way.

It seems likely the rewards for jobs involving both intelligence and physical effort will increase, whist traditionally office based roles in marketing, finance, scheduling, logistics, some medicine and legal etc will decline.

Forum members may who value craftsmanship may appreciate a better balance between intellectual ability and physical creativity!

Mostly the kids take over the farms and certainly round here theres plenty of young farmers. Got knows why,

Because there is stonking great inheritance tax relief for farms (land and buildings) so it makes sense to pass it down the generations. Fine for small family farms I guess, but it also applies to the very big estates of the landed gentry.

One of my clients a city banker just bought an estate for this purpose

Education does not reduce common sense. If anything it tends to increase it (although that is not necessarily the case).

When I left school in the early 1960's, we were told that about 5% of school leavers left with 3 or more A levels, and about half that number (2.5%) went on to university. A degree will "put you in the top 2.5% entering the job market", we were told. Whilst the range of intelligence has not varied across society, now 50% attend university. Entry is therefore now much easier, and most courses run at much lower academic levels. In 1960 our teachers made jokes about the USA having degrees in golf green maintenance... hmmm.
Post war, we, the workforce, were mainly badly managed, mainly by people who got their job by virue of family connections, not expertise. In post war Germany, managers had to have both relevant academic and business qualifications. The difference has been increasingly obvious. A symptom has also been the lack of investment in staff (cheaper to poach from elsewhere) which led to the creation of Training Boards in the 70's which were supposed to push reluctant employers into people developers. This was not entirely successful, employers wanted the tech colleges to do the training for them. Now the technical colleges are all "universities", and all "white collar".
Bozoboris says he wants a high wage high skill economy - so, no jobs for the lower skilled? Bozo says "we'll have to get used to paying more"...
If no EU make up, the long term consequence will be considerable industrial restructuring. Cornish low cost eateries etc. will go, and be replaced by fewer michelin restaurants for those who can still afford to live there. Any remaining low skill workers will have to commute in, either individually or through contract service companies.
Large machines have replaced most landworkers, on the larger farms (25% biggest produce 75% of our food). Smaller farms will go, or be farmed part time. If no low cost labour for fruit and vegetable harvesting, vegetable growing will decline, home grown price will go up, and so we'll begin to import more through our new "world class trade deals". Same applies to meat as large part of supply chain dependent on EU labour. Driverless tractors are already here, but harvesting requires operator discrimination in many cases, much harder to automate. You can bet that it will be those in the lower part of the wage ladder who will feel the effect of more expensive essentials the most.

This of course, has been exacerbated by covid, and grounded container vessels in the Suez canal, but would have happened anyway. I hope the Brexit Bus is stuck in a fuel queue somewhere, whilst we celebrate the wonderful life Brexit is beginning to reveal to us...

...As soon as low earnings rise EVERYTHING rises because all prices are underpinned by low wages.....
Absolutely. Lower the better. We were much better off with slavery - it's what made Britain the place it is today.

Absolutely. Lower the better. We were much better off with slavery - it's what made Britain the place it is today.

Not quite what i meant 😁 my point is that we need to reduce the cost of living ( especially for low earners ) rather than increase low wages. Unfortunately we have got to a point where it cost SO much to run the country that the general tax situation is very high and it doesn't help the low incomes.... maybe there could be taxes aimed at luxury purchases ( the kind that only rich people would buy ) ? Or tax on second homes etc...

Not quite what i meant 😁 my point is that we need to reduce the cost of living ( especially for low earners ) rather than increase low wages. Unfortunately we have got to a point where it cost SO much to run the country that the general tax situation is very high and it doesn't help the low incomes.... maybe there could be taxes aimed at luxury purchases ( the kind that only rich people would buy ) ? Or tax on second homes etc...

We already have tax credits, which some people argue is subsidising employers low wages.

but on the other hand increasing wages will result in the price of things going up.

it’s a difficult balance.

I do think the high cost of housing and rent is a major factor pushing people into poverty….the housing crisis needs to be sorted out.

£15/hr man I presume Jacob. I think £15 is un realistic but I do agree min wage is way too low.

The average age in the building trade is now over 50. Young people looking for their first job simply cannot cope with, or don't like, with the physical effort necessary.
Yes they do seem to be more fragile these days but then whose fault is it that they cannot have the freedom in childhood to roam and play outside like was once the norm due to the risk from weido's and all the other o's.

Yes they do seem to be more fragile these days but then whose fault is it that they cannot have the freedom in childhood to roam and play outside like was once the norm due to the risk from weido's and all the other o's.

Well I'd just like to say in 1974 doing "Bob a job" aged 9 a bloke answered the door with his meat and 2 veg showing, as kids we thought it was hilarious as he'd obviously forgot to put it away after a wee........................... I was about 25 when it suddenly dawned on me it wasn't an accident. Not convinced that incident made me less fragile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back