Who has achieved 1000cfm at their static machines (a la Bill Pentz).. if so, how?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting filter box, Heimlaga!
I have a thien baffle setup that I used before moving to a new house (and new workshop). I used to blow the air outside, and it actually filtered quite well. I also had about 100 m to the nearest neighbor, so no-one complained about the noise. However, it did make the workshop cold quite quickly when using the dust collector in the winter.

After moving to a new house, I have been thinking of making a filter box. Both to recycle the warm air, and to keep the noise in the workshop, which should make the neighbors less unhappy. :)

What size cartridge filters did you use? And where did you buy them? Last year I was looking at a filter from Axminster. However, I was not sure if one filter would be enough. Also, after Brexit, the customs fees are expensive, so I'd rather buy from somewhere else (within the EU).

I bought the filters from Dinair in Sweden. The four cartridges are all similar 1200x325mm with the normal number of folds whatever that was.

I designed my DC system aiming for 1000 cfm at the tools. That said I don't have a means of measuring the flow or the dust in the air but I don't get much in the way of chips escaping the machines or dust in the shop. I started with a Busy Bee 5 HP DC unit that draws 22 Amps @ 240V. It has a smaller impeller than Bill P. recommends but it is still rated at 3400CFM.
IMG_9534.JPG

It came with 1 micron top bags and I use plastic bag liners in the bottom bag. It has a 9" inlet which is reduced to 8" for the riser to the ceiling. From there a 7' header runs the length of the shop. The individual drops are 6" as are the boots on the tools with a single takeoff. I used HVAC ductwork in mostly 24 and 26 gauge. the ducting, boots and elbows are off the shelf pieces. The wye pieces I made myself.
IMG_9538.JPG

IMG_9541.JPG

This is the new busy bee CX 15HC (15" helical cutters) surface planer (thicknesser) It came with a 4" takeoff but I made this 6" takeoff with a HVAC 3.25"x10" to 6" angled floor boot. I also fitted it with a DRO with the sensor mounted on the back left corner.
IMG_9543.JPG
IMG_9544.JPG

On the the 14" bandsaw I replaced the 4" outlet with another 6" Boot.
IMG_9542.JPG

I wanted most of the blast gates to mounted on the ceiling so they had to be operated by ropes. I got this idea from Pinterest.
IMG_9540.JPG

They also work on the wall with an operating rod
IMG_9535.JPG

I modified the gate design to fit the 6" pipe I was using. Once I had a working prototype I used it for the pattern and routed out the rest with a pattern bit.

I've got more pics, I'll do a second post.

John

Part 2:
The Rockwell table saw
IMG_9546.JPG
IMG_9545.JPG

The 6" drop is split into two 4" hoses. The upper one goes to the over arm blade guard to which I added the 4" elbow. The lower hose just goes into the standard 4" connection on the back of the saw cabinet.

The General jointer,
IMG_9537.JPG

The 8" jointer came with a sheet metal box under the outfeed table with a 4" hose connection. I changed that to another 6" HVAC boot. It is the centre connection of the homemade slide valve in the picture above. On the right is a floor sweep and the hose on the left goes to the lathe pickup which is still a work in progress. I also have a Dewalt miter saw for which I need to design a dust hood.

Future mods:
- rework the 5 HP DC into a cyclone unit with cartridge filters
- put the router table and a downdraft table into the table saw extension (connected to the DC system)

John

Part 2:
The Rockwell table saw
View attachment 118937View attachment 118938
The 6" drop is split into two 4" hoses. The upper one goes to the over arm blade guard to which I added the 4" elbow. The lower hose just goes into the standard 4" connection on the back of the saw cabinet.

The General jointer,
View attachment 118939
The 8" jointer came with a sheet metal box under the outfeed table with a 4" hose connection. I changed that to another 6" HVAC boot. It is the centre connection of the homemade slide valve in the picture above. On the right is a floor sweep and the hose on the left goes to the lathe pickup which is still a work in progress. I also have a Dewalt miter saw for which I need to design a dust hood.

Future mods:
- rework the 5 HP DC into a cyclone unit with cartridge filters
- put the router table and a downdraft table into the table saw extension (connected to the DC system)

John
Most impressive John, really like the blast gates, must remember for my next workshop! Ian

Thanks John. That looks great. I was thinking about putting the blastgates up high too but hadn't got round to figuring out how to operate them- now I know. Ace.

What efficiency is your motor & does it have a VFD ? If not so great (IE 1 or 2) it might be good idea to get a VFD, it should pay for itself in the long run & save wear n tear on the motor.

My progress is glacial but I should be done pruning by the end of March & then have some spare time. I have my 1st impeller ready to weld up. Pics to follow soon maybe.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back