Who else thinks this?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
whoooo hooo got the italy result, puts me close to semi finals.

That's literally the most hilarious/ridiculous post I've ever read on the internet. Good job.

I'm curious. Why is it hilarious? People do need to accept death as it's coming to us all eventually. Surely it's what you do before the that counts ?

On the original thread topic..... i hate football. I'll kick a ball about in a oark with the kids but why on earth would j want to sit and watch other people doing it? :ROFLMAO:

As for f1, i agree it is now boring as hell, way too technical and was better in the 80s / 90s. Safety improvements are of course fantastic, but you can still have a rip snorting v10 with the safety improvements, like better built cars. The drivers are of course all in a very high class, even those who come last are still the best in their game. These days they mostly come from a karting background where consistency is key.
Modern drivers could definitely compete with the old school guys, if both were in the same petrol powered 80s machines, but they would need time to acclimatise, different machine and different tracks.

Refinement is the problem.
The cars are designed and built as best as technology can allow.
The drivers are now a very fit bunch who train and train until they are like machines, theres less enjoyment because it has all got so refined that theres not much actual difference between cars and drivers, the sort of behaviour drivers got away with in the past ( like Schumacher's dominant / bullying driving ) wouldn't be tolerated now, the tracks are generally more refined too.....

The cars are designed and built as best as technology can allow.
The drivers are now a very fit bunch who train and train until they are like machines, theres less enjoyment because it has all got so refined that theres not much actual difference between cars and drivers, the sort of behaviour drivers got away with in the past ( like Schumacher's dominant / bullying driving ) wouldn't be tolerated now, the tracks are generally more refined too.....

Exactly! and those who imply it's all car and the drivers make little difference don't know what they're talking about. Martin Brundle for example drove Hamilton's last year car and he said it was difficult to think and react quickly enough, Richard Hammond drove an older F1 car a few years ago and definitely couldn't think fast enough to take the corners at anything but a snail pace. I've driven an Audi R8 around a track at speed, fully automatic and I had to concentrate so hard on the track I didn't dare look at the speedo and I think I'm a reasonable driver. I certainly couldn't fiddle with buttons or change settings whilst doing 200 mph. ;) and seriously doubt anyone on here could either.

What people seem to overlook when they decry the technological developments is that these cars contribute to the development of systems, lubricants, tyres, brakes etc. that find their way into road cars, the current crop of 1.6l hybrids producing immense power of almost 1000 bhp compared with around 750bhp from the big V8 and V12 engines with relative reliability and Formula E is another example of that technology driving forward.

As far as the football is concerned, I'm happy to be one of the 28 million who watched or live streamed the England v Germany match, I don't have a problem with those who don't like to watch any more than I do with those who watch cr*p fly on the wall or soaps, their choice, it's what makes the world go around, get a life. :ROFLMAO:

It's pretty simple really, if you find F1, football, cricket, rugby, tennis or whatever boring then do something else other than grumble about it.

Lons exactly....I'll have my T in the shed as normal pls.....

should say quite the Indy 500......men and cars.....not knee benders......hahaha.....

Last season Williams’ George Russell (who is actually a Mercedes driver on loan to Williams) was given a drive in Lewis Hamilton’s car because LH was out with Covid. He led much of the race with an excellent drive and would have won had the team not withdrawn him with a suspected ‘puncture’ which was not visible(?) I had moments before said to my wife that I couldn’t believe they would let him win as it would show that it’s all about the car. Russell is normally in the bottom 25% as his car can’t compete with the top teams.
Not sure that’s entirely fair:
The vehicle always been a big part of the equation in all forms of motorsport (opting to drive for British teams was one reason S Moss never won a world title).
If it was just the car then Bottas would be equal in results to Hamilton not out-driven by him on most occasions.
George Russell is a highly talented young driver. That’s why Mercedes had him under contract. Still a fine performance.

PS there are a lot of things wrong with F1 these days but the fact that drivers aren’t getting killed every other race is not one of them.

People do need to accept death as it's coming to us all eventually.
Of course, but the issue is whether you should do what you can to reduce the chance of it coming sooner rather than later.

A common theme on here is criticising the unsafe working methods displayed by many woodworkers on youtube. Applying Spectric's logic you could argue that we should just accept that we will all die sometime so why bother trying to work safely? A table saw would be much more exciting without a guard and all the woke folk who use one are wimps compared to the old-timers who just got on with the job without one. Not a philosophy I would agree with.

formula 1 cars
Should be, any engine u like upto 5.5litres.....
only electronic ignition and ABS allowed....power steering is Ok but NO other driver aids allowed.....
running on proper PETROL without silencers....
no probs with crash cells or explosion proof fuel tanks.....
then we'll see if that little upstart from Stevenage is any good.....
that should make a good spector sport again....
oh, the trumped up midget that used to run the thing should be made to give all the money back and used for injured drivers etc
in the future.....
lastly, the championship winners engine must be put up for auction to raise money for charity....

bring it on......
Hmm...I missed this post earlier and it's nonsensical imo.. The current crop of F1 cars are severely restricted on the type of "driver aids" they are allowed to have. The following are all banned.

* ABS (banned a long time ago)
* Traction control
* Active suspension
* Brake steer
* CVT gearboxes ( type of automatic gearbox)

and the fuel used is highly regulated for several reasons e.g. the highly tuned engines won't run on it and to ensure a level playing field, at least it bears some resemblance to the fuel we use, left to their own devices it certainly bear a closer relationship to rocket fuel.

They are allowed power steering and without that the cars would be undrivable due to the width of the tyres.

The one sentence in your post that does disturb me and suggests a reason for your attitude is " then we'll see if that little upstart from Stevenage is any good....."
Whatever your reasons and I sincerely hope they aren't what I think they might be, you're very wide of the mark, the "little upstart has done very well and on pure ability which is why he was signed up by Mercedes as a kid, He didn't have a rich daddy who bought his way into racing unlike numerous others, talented of not, read Verstappen, Rosburgh, Perez, Norris and Mick Schumacher as examples.
I suggest you do a little research before spouting rot.

Its 650pm in France (an hour ahead of GMT) only 2 hours before Kick Off. Only 2 hours left for more interesting fun facts and figures about F1 and the endless debate in the pits - which is better, petrol or chip shop oil? If there isnt enough time to cover all the points we can resume after the match tonight. In the meantime don't forget the competition - what was the real name of the 'Flying Mantuan'? Answers on a post card to marked 'The Competition', Peartree Productions, Caxton Avenue, Norwich. NF23 4OL.

Did Ukraine win?

Well I really enjoyed Raducanu's tennis match today. They joy of her play was fabulous to watch. Oh to be as young as her again! I'm not a big footie fan as Scotland always fails to achieve its potential! So tennis is my fallback!

I don’t follow football so please don’t pay too much attention to this comment, but it must be very galling to be beaten four nil by our lot, or is this lot a whole lot better than our last lot?

I don’t follow football so please don’t pay too much attention to this comment, but it must be very galling to be beaten four nil by our lot, or is this lot a whole lot better than our last lot?
No idea but with the amount of money they get paid according to this they ought to be pretty good.

I would like to make the same complaint to the BBC Radio 4 coverage of cricket. This bizarre sport is declining in popularity as it is too complicated and takes too long. Who can imagine a sport which can be played for 5 days and not have a definitive result? Fortunately I have an internet radio so I can tune into the normal Radio 4 output, but in the workshop this does not apply.
You must have a very old radio. Test match special is only on long wave, they broadcast their normal schedule on FM. My van (2009) doesn’t even have LW.
I doubt anyone likes everything that is broadcast on tv/radio. Luckily there are other channels…

You must have a very old radio. Test match special is only on long wave, they broadcast their normal schedule on FM. My van (2009) doesn’t even have LW.
I doubt anyone likes everything that is broadcast on tv/radio. Luckily there are other channels…
Try .......Guerilla Cricket for irreverent but committed and professional live test match cricket coverage. A post modern alternative to the OK in small doses Aggers, Tuffers et al. Live cricket commentary | Guerilla Cricket

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back