Who else thinks this?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Some years ago I purchased a Kango hammer on eBay, the auction ended at about the same time as Rooney scored for England. It went cheap.

I use this same principle. "Steelers game is on, what do we need from home depot?".

...when the over paid footballers etc start useing clubs with nails in during the game, I'll start watching...
Might I recommend the Irish game of hurley? Makes rugby look like a girls' sport and gets somewhere near meeting your needs...

Last edited:
Well, this thread expanded quickly - too much sport on telly so everyone has time to complain about it.
I am in the camp who likes to play a sport rather than watch it. As a schoolboy rugbyist I obviously know that football is a game for girls: all that shirt tugging and hair pulling and pretending to be hurt makes it a bit of a cheat's charter. Perhaps the reason the West Country doesn't excellent at football is that they are too honest?

I haven't sat through the enforced viewing of a tv chanel for many years - we stream whatever we want to watch, uninterrupted by advertising or other unpleasantness. It's why God invented the internet. I say "we", but someone decided on Charlie's Angels for tonight's viewing please, and it definitely wasn't me.

Comment from Dominic Lawson in today's Times -
A consequence of this soccer hegemony is to give much greater prominence to football matches of no distinction than to more inspiring happenings in other sports. So there was not even a mention, still less a discussion, on the Today programme sports bulletins on June 21, of the previous day’s astonishing victory by Harlequins against Bristol for a place in rugby union’s Premiership final. Described by many of those who witnessed it as “the greatest rugby game ever” (Harlequins had come back from 28-0 down to win 43-36), it was completely occluded by the Beeb’s footie fixation.

Big game just starting. I'm a ronaldo fan.
Have belgium in the sweep stake but rooting for Portugal.

More likely result in a BAFTA for football ‘injuries’

You've never played then 🤣

Lets just dismiss the broken legs, torn hamstrings, dislocated joints, ACL damage, concussion, fractured skulls, death on occasion all fake.

Makes me laugh that in rugby, grabbing someones pinapples as hard as you can in a scrum or eye gouging is character building and a proper mans game.

I don't understand why TV planners seem to think the whole Country is interested in football - both ITV and the BBC have more than one channel, so why don't they air all the football they wish on a secondary channel?
Personally, I'd sooner stick pins in my eyes than watch soccer. Wrong shaped ball.

After the 2012 Olympics there was much discussion on the balance of coverage between football and all the other Cinderella sports (pretty much everything else except occasional tennis, cricket and rugby). There were promises made to increase the coverage of things like athletics, although they didn't spend any money sending film crews to other sports that proved popular and drew big crowds in Beijing, London and Rio: sports like archery or canoe slalom, or a dozen different paralympic events.

But, for a while, you might recall seeing a bit more athletics on TV. And this was a welcome change.

For as long as it lasted.

Which wasn't very long. Now, same old, same old. The baying masses get what they want: they wants the footy!

Money talks.

She'll get more than the 15 minutes of fame she was after, when they track her down.

I see les Flics are after her and will charge her with " deliberately violating safety regulations and causing injuries that might prevent someone working for up to three months". And ASO intend to sue her.

Not a sport I go for. Can't play it, don't watch it, and if it comes on I find another channel.

But I dont see the harm in it, and certainly its not on all channels 24/7 so I think the OP's comments are a bit ott. Millions are interested in it, and its good viewing for them.

So whats the harm :? You dont like, you turn over or go find something to do that does interest you.

As the meerkat says; Simples

Quite so, couldn't be simpler could it

Not a sport I go for. Can't play it, don't watch it, and if it comes on I find another channel.

But I dont see the harm in it, and certainly its not on all channels 24/7 so I think the OP's comments are a bit ott. Millions are interested in it, and its good viewing for them.

So whats the harm :? You dont like, you turn over or go find something to do that does interest you.

As the meerkat says; Simples

Yes but stick it on it's own channel, not on all the main channels at the same time with the assumption everyone wants to see a bunch of grown men running around kicking a ball, but I suppose simple things please simple minds. Also it is not a sport anymore since it became just a big business to make money where instead of capital investment in say machinery they now rent ball kickers and foreign managers to run the business and pay silly money for someone to kick a ball, they have gone mad.

Tour highlights was good ce soir!

Why are they playing football I thought it was the cricket season and shouldn't they be getting out those string tennis bats any day now?

Also it is not a sport anymore since it became just a big business to make money where instead of capital investment in say machinery they now rent ball kickers and foreign managers to run the business and pay silly money for someone to kick a ball, they have gone mad.

Are you suggesting then that all professional sport is wrong if they earn decent money.
Tax payers don't fund football, the revenue comes from TV rights, the big sums you talk of are nothing at present, tv pays about £4.8 billion at present, it's currently estimated that it will rise to £16 billion.

Yes but stick it on it's own channel, not on all the main channels at the same time with the assumption everyone wants to see a bunch of grown men running around kicking a ball, but I suppose simple things please simple minds. Also it is not a sport anymore since it became just a big business to make money where instead of capital investment in say machinery they now rent ball kickers and foreign managers to run the business and pay silly money for someone to kick a ball, they have gone mad.

Love Island starts a new series Monday night.

It will all return to normal soon. England qualify for the knockout stages. Come up against Germany in the first round. Lose the game after the penalty shootout. Thank goodness thats all over, we can get back to watch the normal sh*t they dish up for us

Comment from Dominic Lawson in today's Times -
A consequence of this soccer hegemony is to give much greater prominence to football matches of no distinction than to more inspiring happenings in other sports. So there was not even a mention, still less a discussion, on the Today programme sports bulletins on June 21, of the previous day’s astonishing victory by Harlequins against Bristol for a place in rugby union’s Premiership final. Described by many of those who witnessed it as “the greatest rugby game ever” (Harlequins had come back from 28-0 down to win 43-36), it was completely occluded by the Beeb’s footie fixation.
It was only shown on BT Sport as well. Too expensive for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back