Who else thinks this?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Im not sure if you are being ironic or even sarcastic - the World Adventure Playground Building Championships, the Improved Access for Disabled Premiership, just teasing. Competitive exercise (sport) is a natural function of mankind in that it caters for and satisfies Man's tribal instincts. There has never been a society without this element of competition either on a personal level (Alpha dog etc) or on a group level the ultimate expression of which is going to war. Im afraid we (Mankind) are stuck with this and the dreadful BBC and the market operator ITV are only reflecting their viewer research. Allez Les Bleus, whilst Southgate continues to select Kane, I mean, what is he for?

Football? Rather watch paint dry (far more interesting) Rugby? Bring it on!

Didn't know there was any football on but I never watch it anyway.
Watching day 1 Tour de France highlights - exciting stuff!

I hate sport, all sports, but I don't begrudge others enjoying it. I guess some of that comes from the fact that I don't have a TV so it's not stopping me watching shows I enjoy, maybe I would feel different if it did, I certainly got annoyed as a child but then we didn't have as many channels either so it had a proportionally bigger impact on the schedule I guess.

I do get annoyed at the silly amount of money spent on it all, but that's the fault of the fans really.

I’d rather watch football than Eastenders, Coronation Street, The One Show and all the other usual early evening junk.
But, as they say, other channels are available - more than ever these days - so it’s a pretty tired old grumble really.

I record all of the football games, along with all of the soaps. Lovely stuff.

That way I can play them back when we go out and miss them twice!

22 over paid pre-madonas racing round a pitch and then begging the 1/2 wit crown who have paid megabucks to watch to worshop them for what they are over paid to do.

Not that I dislike football you understand.

When we lived in France, le Tour (not la Tour, that the French copy of Blackpool Tower in Paris) staged through Carcassonne several times. Just 10 or so Km from us and we went and watched the stage start a couple of times and a couple of 'run throughs' in local towns. Not that is quite a spectacle!

The preceeding 'Caravan', all the advertising vehicles has to be seen to be believed! This le Tour going through Trebes, Aude in 2011

IMG_4327.JPG

IMG_4343.JPG

Oh, there were some cyclists too. In fact lots and they were dammed quick!

IMG_4371.JPG

The 'Caravan' took about 45 minutes, the bikes, about 45 seconds, but what an atmosphere!

I record all of the football games, along with all of the soaps. Lovely stuff.

That way I can play them back when we go out and miss them twice!

22 over paid pre-madonas racing round a pitch and then begging the 1/2 wit crown who have paid megabucks to watch to worshop them for what they are over paid to do.

Not that I dislike football you understand.

When we lived in France, le Tour (not la Tour, that the French copy of Blackpool Tower in Paris) staged through Carcassonne several times. Just 10 or so Km from us and we went and watched the stage start a couple of times and a couple of 'run throughs' in local towns. Not that is quite a spectacle!

The preceeding 'Caravan', all the advertising vehicles has to be seen to be believed! This le Tour going through Trebes, Aude in 2011

View attachment 112852

View attachment 112853

Oh, there were some cyclists too. In fact lots and they were dammed quick!

View attachment 112854

The 'Caravan' took about 45 minutes, the bikes, about 45 seconds, but what an atmosphere!
Watching something like the Tour live is a bit of an anticlimax for me. It’s over way too quick. I love the TV coverage and usually watch live.

I can understand how TV Soap and and Quiz programme addicts might feel aggrieved with their viewing plans being disrupted.
Viewing habits have changed and a lot of people use streaming services or watch recording at a time that suits them.

It is the national sport. It used to be the working man's game until money took over. Money has forced football off the free channels.

I'm glad that those that can't afford expensive Sky, BT or Virgin Media packages and can't afford to visit the pub can get to watch the games at no extra cost.

Olympics this year, World Cup next year, Rugby World Cup 2023. Get ready for more viewing disruption. Or maybe watch your soaps and quizzes on catch up.

Watching something like the Tour live is a bit of an anticlimax for me. It’s over way too quick. I love the TV coverage and usually watch live.

Bit like F1 - far better (and cheaper) viewed on TV

Another thing about Tour de France is the landscape - some marvellous places en route - some familiar, have cycled a lot in France. Keep wishing I was there pedalling along to the next aire de picnic, or bar for a cold beer in the shade. Or whooshing down the other side of a pass. Paradise!

If it was just about the football, I'd say it's your time, spend it as you please.
Unfortunately, all too often it is a gateway for nationalism of all kinds.
A nasty business that brings out the worst in people.
I agree it's a bedrock for nationalistic behaviours we see so much racist behaviour amongst fans which I always think is a home goal because they tend to want the best team so obviously they recruit best players from around the world who they then chant racist abuse at and boo when they are black and do something they don't like. All a bit low level ( and accepted as part of the game!) in the end and the money aspect of the game is whole new debate.

Reactions: dzj
Not a single minute of the Euros being watched by me. Can’t stand the acting and tribalism. Anyone wanting a great advert for sport and brilliant contests only need to hav3 watched the rugby premiership semi-finals and final. Stunning games and not one faked injury

Might as well rename BBC to Sports channel at the moment, with football, and bat and ball x 2 (cricket and tennis) which means even the new at 10 no longer happens at 10. I am becoming a reluctant Netflix and Amazon user.

'There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.' - Ernest Hemingway

I agree it's a bedrock for nationalistic behaviours we see so much racist behaviour amongst fans which I always think is a home goal because they tend to want the best team so obviously they recruit best players from around the world who they then chant racist abuse at and boo when they are black and do something they don't like. All a bit low level ( and accepted as part of the game!) in the end and the money aspect of the game is whole new debate.
There is undoubtedly a very small number of troublemakers at most football clubs and typically the same people that follow England to tournaments. They are a tiny but vociferous minority.

Sadly you’re unfairly tarring all supporters with the same brush.

I’ve followed England to tournaments abroad a few times and I can tell you that my friends and I have had wonderful, memorable experiences every time.

'There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely Ed games.' - Ernest Hemingway
Good quote in its time perhaps, but not sure it has aged well.

Motor racing is far far safer today and always down to having the best equipment.

Bullfighting is somewhat one sided. How many bulls win?

Mountaineering - with enough money and decent fitness you can climb Everest.

Olympics this year, World Cup next year, Rugby World Cup 2023. Get ready for more viewing disruption. Or maybe watch your soaps and quizzes on catch up.

That's the problem - if we don't like football we can't watch things on catch up as they aren't shown in the first place. (I doubt the Olympics will get the coverage of the football, and the rugby certainly won't.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back