Who doesn't get a mobile signal at home ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RogerS":305zla1m said:
Rorschach":305zla1m said:
A tip for those who only get signal through say O2, but you are with EE. A lot of phones these days support 2 sims, so get a free O2 sim card and use that just for your OTP codes.

I run 2 sims, it allows me to get signal when visiting the inlaws as my provider doesn't get a signal there.
I have since found several other cases where one sim gets a signal and the other does not, great for emergency use.

Fair play but what a faff. You go to place an online order then remember that your phone is in another room. Then you remember that you've got your 'normal' SIM in, so you have to turn the phone off, swap the SIM, turn it back on, wait for it to register by which time your e-commerce site has probably timed out...or Mastercard has timed out.

Really I was meaning for those whose phone (a lot these days) can take 2 sims at once.

Rorschach":dzeblj0s said:
RogerS":dzeblj0s said:
Rorschach":dzeblj0s said:
A tip for those who only get signal through say O2, but you are with EE. A lot of phones these days support 2 sims, so get a free O2 sim card and use that just for your OTP codes.

I run 2 sims, it allows me to get signal when visiting the inlaws as my provider doesn't get a signal there.
I have since found several other cases where one sim gets a signal and the other does not, great for emergency use.

Fair play but what a faff. You go to place an online order then remember that your phone is in another room. Then you remember that you've got your 'normal' SIM in, so you have to turn the phone off, swap the SIM, turn it back on, wait for it to register by which time your e-commerce site has probably timed out...or Mastercard has timed out.

Really I was meaning for those whose phone (a lot these days) can take 2 sims at once.

Fairy nuff. How long does it take to deregister from one provider and re-register the other or are you simultaneously registered with both ? Wonder what affect that would have on the Fused Location Provider for apps, like Nest Home/Away Assist?

RogerS":o3jxi7xe said:
Fairy nuff. How long does it take to deregister from one provider and re-register the other or are you simultaneously registered with both ? Wonder what affect that would have on the Fused Location Provider for apps, like Nest Home/Away Assist?

Both sims run simultaneously, you get 2 signal bars at the top of the screen.
When receiving calls it just rings as normal no matter which number is used. For making calls or sending texts you can use either one.

Rorschach":3r483rfe said:
RogerS":3r483rfe said:

When receiving calls it just rings as normal no matter which number is used. For making calls or sending texts you can use either one.

Many thanks for explaining that. I can see how useful it could be in some cases.

Digressing slightly, I alluded to the Nest Home/Away Assist. When it's enabled, as soon as you (with your mobile) leave home then Home/Away Assist recognises this and turns your security camera(s) on. According to Nest, H/AA relies on the mobile signal, wi-fi and GPS to determine the phones' (and your) location. Only it doesn't. The only thing it can actually use is the triangulation data from the mobile masts. Which is fine if your home is in a nice stable mobile signal area but if, like me, it's very iffy then the triangulation data (ie your perceived location by H/AA) moves all over the place as the relative strengths from various mobile masts come and go. I'm just wondering how two SIMs would work and whether it would compound the problem.

RogerS":v2kztc80 said:
Rorschach":v2kztc80 said:
RogerS":v2kztc80 said:

Many thanks for explaining that. I can see how useful it could be in some cases.

Digressing slightly, I alluded to the Nest Home/Away Assist. When it's enabled, as soon as you (with your mobile) leave home then Home/Away Assist recognises this and turns your security camera(s) on. According to Nest, H/AA relies on the mobile signal, wi-fi and GPS to determine the phones' (and your) location. Only it doesn't. The only thing it can actually use is the triangulation data from the mobile masts. Which is fine if your home is in a nice stable mobile signal area but if, like me, it's very iffy then the triangulation data (ie your perceived location by H/AA) moves all over the place as the relative strengths from various mobile masts come and go. I'm just wondering how two SIMs would work and whether it would compound the problem.

I would assume the app is using whatever info is available to determine your location. Having 2 sims rather than 1 would only make it more accurate I think.

Rorschach":6x1684n3 said:
RogerS":6x1684n3 said:
Rorschach":6x1684n3 said:

I would assume the app is using whatever info is available to determine your location. Having 2 sims rather than 1 would only make it more accurate I think.

Not necessarily. If the mobile signal for bothSIMs was iffy then both could have their triangulation location wandering all over the places. Not sure how or if the Fused Location Provider API can make use of two SIMs or know which one to use. As far as I have been able to discover, there is no concept of 'quality' passed back to the calling program.

Just fallen foul of this for the first time. Trying to buy something from a new woodworking online shop and get asked to enter the numbers from the SMS. Only mobile coverage gone AWOL this morning so tried 'Call us and we'll sort it out' John Lewis Partnership card.

The response from them that I got can be summed up in one word "Que?". Not a clue. By the time we'd sorted it out and I'd got the necessary/they'd done the necessary, the e-commerce site had timed out. :evil:

So I paid extra and got it from Axminster.

I know someone with no mobile signal at home (or radio or TV). As his phone is not "smart", it cannot use WiFi calling.
Very many organisations esp. NHS, employers etc are totally unable to process the fact that mobile communications are impossible and this leads to endless difficulties - missed appointments, deadlines not met, journeys undertaken for no purpose, and frustration all round.
Unfortunately, there always comes a point where it is necessary to get to grips with new-ish technology if you want a hope of living a normal life. This may mean inconvenience but there is little alternative - and a common complaint of the no-longer-young!
For Roger's particular problem, WiFi calling or an external mast may improve matters.
Duncan

Rodger...we have the same problem....no sms message at home....so my wife stays at home to deal with the computer....I drive out to the top of a mountain to get a signal....then we relay the incoming codes via WhatsApp phone call.....21st century has not arrived in our area.

Jonathan

Sent from my SM-J530F using Tapatalk

Jonathan

Do you have wi-fi? You appear to have internet (or is it an internet cafe that you use?). If so you could connect your mobile device to your wifi for sms messages, and also do phone-through-wifi if your provider allows it.

Keith

American Express have just written to me explaining how it will be possible to set up an express list of retailers that are used frequently and the code will not be required. I know all retailers don’t accept Amex though!

Back