Who can you trust with your data.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This says it al really

Attachments

• IMG_9297.JPG
    IMG_9297.JPG
    186.3 KB · Views: 43
There seems to be an increasing trend for sites to want you to provide your PII to "register" before they will give you access. I noticed last night that Medite, sponsors of Peter Millard's new mini-series, are doing the same. Needless to say I didn't - so I have no idea what they can offer - so for me it will backfire - I will simply put "MRMDF" into my favourite search engine and find alternatives.
But they are all at it - witness the recent Whatsapp controversy.

To answer the original question - who do I trust with my data NO ONE but there is nothing really you can do about it unless you live completly off the grid and then we would not be using this forum.

I am relatively happy with internet banking but do not use a mobile phone for it. I do not use checks any more except for grandchildren's presents - not only do they contain your bank account number and sort code there is also your name and signature.. The BACS system works well to transfer money as does Paypal.

I never click on links in emails I am not expecting - even the ones recently that pointed to the $140,000 or so I have in my bitcoin account. Or the lottery prize I have just won without buying a ticket. In this day and age you just have to live with it and eventually we will move to a cashless society with no choice. The government would love that as it would get rid of much of the black economy and criminals would find it much harder to make money.

I never use cloud storage as that could vanish at the flick of a switch but if that happened Covid would seem to be only a minor inconvenience in comparison

And finally for web sites like Facebook, Google etc. If you do not know what the product they are selling is YOU ARE THE PRODUCT.

Happy paranoia

AQ

Last edited:
There seems to be an increasing trend for sites to want you to provide your PII to "register" before they will give you access

Of course your data is a revenue stream for them. Soon it may not be possible to use the internet without registering as more sites go after what is a relatively limited source of money.

Of course your data is a revenue stream for them. Soon it may not be possible to use the internet without registering as more sites go after what is a relatively limited source of money.

Of course. I see the aforementioned Medite site uses the Google Tag Manager - so presumably the idea is that Google will then flood me with adverts for Medite on any other vaguely related sites I visit - well, they would if I did not block the whole caboodle on the browser. It is a double whammy - as Google may be able to associate my PII with whatever cookies it sticks on my computer depending on how Medite handle it.

However I see I am also blocking Google Tag Manager on this site - and ABP has killed two adverts - are others seeing adverts alongside these posts?

Trust nothing, even written data can be fiddled but safer than electronic. I do use Internet banking but not really happy with it and always look at it with suspicion. I never trust any caller from banks, BT etc etc who calls and then wants to “verify my ID” Er no I need to verify your ID !

Alexia and the likes I will never have, If buying online I look for full address and contact details, check they are where they say they are etc before placing an order, it’s amazing how many do not show full and correct location—not there I go elsewhere!

Another bee in my bonnet is electronic voting, we should never, never go down this route it is open to abuse, who knows what’s hidden in the program/chip ? Look at the Post Office postmaster scandal where people were wrongly convicted of fraud because of a “bug” ? Or the VW exhaust emissions scandal ! Make one wonder about Trumps claims ?? Electronic voting can never be as safe as a paper trail system, also postal votes should only be in the most extenuating circumstances
Rant over !

Latest posts

Back