Whittling knife and axe advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yea, apologies - I meant the axe. I managed to grind a much better angle today tho the angle stated on the proedge platform that you rest the tool on is not much help as the head of the axe leans down - I need to add a little platform to raise the edge. Took me most of the day to figure that out. But it does now have a nice shiny bevel and cuts through a sheet of paper ok - I finished on a 3000 trizact belt and then stropped it. My efforts at sharpening freehand on a stone were hopeless!
Thanks for all the advice, really pleased with the result.

Numerous carvers utilize a second folding knife for regular use, for example, opening cardboard boxes, to try not to dull the sharp folding knife they use for shaving. The best pocket knife for whittling is Flexcut Tri-Jack, Great Eastern Cutlery, Flexcut Whittlin' Jack, Carbon steel knives, Sarge Vision Maker Carving Knife, Victorinox Swiss Army Knives, Opinel Carbon Steel Folding Knife.
These are the best pocket knife for whittling which you may also like very much.

Just a word to the wise. Watch out when using a folding knife. Don’t be tempted to use the tip to dig in as it is very easy to cause it to fold. When that happens it makes a real mess of the back of your fingers. I tend to favour locking knives now. Of course don’t be walking down the high street with one in your pocket.
It’s possible to buy knife blanks to knock up your own knives. I’ve bought a few from Brisa Knives over the years. They have regular sales with good bargains.

Back