Whitehouse axe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

montgomalex

Reaction score
Hi, I am restoring a Whitehouse axe. The stamp shows Whitehouse Bros Cannock, my question is - is this the same company as Whitehouse & sons or Hedgehog tools? The design seems to be the colliers axe, weight 2lb. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

axe.JPG
Here is the axe

Attachments

• axe.JPG
    axe.JPG
    148.2 KB · Views: 303
Thanks Andy, I found that information which is really interesting - just saw no mention of 'bros' anywhere.
Do the 8's stamped on it mean anything or would that be to personalise or identify?
Thanks

montgomalex":6mnnjkug said:
Thanks Andy, I found that information which is really interesting - just saw no mention of 'bros' anywhere.
Do the 8's stamped on it mean anything or would that be to personalise or identify?
Thanks

They are too untidy to have been done by the maker. Probably one of a set issued from the stores and recorded on chit.

I seem to remember the Whitehouse brand as the top quality range in the 1980s and poss 90s of panel beating hammers and counterparts (bicks?)? - not cheap and from memory with lovely octagon shaped hickory handles with a red or green painted end - so according to the links above, this must be after their Sheffield then Leeds moves. I don't think a huge amount of vehicle hand panel beating goes on these days?

Back