Whitehill Panel Heads

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The main advantage of overcutting on a spindle, is that it ensures uniform thickness of the panel edge, therefore, easier fitting into the groove. Ideally, overcutting is best done with a power feed.

Undercutting is safer and more versatile, though. More tolerant of any cupping in the width of the panel, too. Your cutter is completely shielded by the workpiece and there is also less risk of ejection.

Be sure to do the cross-grain cuts first so that any breakout will be removed by the long-grain cut.

Thanks for the reply. Probably going to have to under cut it as I need to get the power roller set up as of yet...

I had assumed that both being offered for sale was so that you could stack 2 blocks with a spacer in the middle so you complete both sides in one pass, and create a uniform thickness tongue to fit into the groove .

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Wouldn't they sell it as a stack system if that was the case? I just intended doing one side and then flipping it over. I need to get this feeder sorted out...

Make sure the table gap is bigenough for the under one.

I have a thin screw on fence that the board runs along past the cutter to stop it dipping in, as the fence has to be the width of the cutter apart. On smaller panels mould the ends/ lengths before ripping down

Hi Olly,

Thanks for the advice. I have just ordered the 140mm block with under cutter and limiters. The Sicar moulder has inserts that can be taken out to excepting up to 250mm. I always use false fences so should be good to go.

I have an electrician coming out today to sort out a price for getting the feeder wired in so need to decide where to position the roller/feeder mount on the back of the machine. In-feed is the correct side I have read somewhere. Need to get some new rollers for it though as the old ones were mangled when I got it. I have seen the roller wheels for about £15 each. Is this a decent price or are there cheaper?

Thanks

Nick

Power roller mounted today. Quite proud of my first tapping job being successful. Electrician booked in for Tuesday morning...

Power%20feed.jpg
There you go....

Just a quick picture and update, 3 phase power feed unit fitted onto single phase spindle :) Out feed table built using a Howdens damaged stock freebie kitchen unit and 25mm mdf top.

Out%20feed%20table.jpg

Back