White, waterproof, salt proof finish?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Digizz

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a hard wearing, waterproof, salt proof finish for the inside of an aquarium cabinet I'm making. The panels are veneered MDF so waterprooking is very important. The aquarium water is also salt water, so that's important too.

I'd quite like a white finish if possible - apart from gloss paint, what else could you recommend?

Thanks,

Paul.

Yacht varnish? You could tint it with oil paint, I suppose. Just an idea.

Gill

Have a look at the products for finishing boats such as epoxy's maybe something in the West range to suit.

Jason

You can get pigments in a large range of colours for polyester and polyurethane resins, white can be bought pre mixed but only in large quantities, alright if you have a hull to do :wink:

Jason

Polyester is one mad finish. Horribly poisonous, I understand. But the most fantastic gloss.

Jake":2svi178e said:
Polyester is one mad finish. Horribly poisonous, I understand. But the most fantastic gloss.

I don't necessarily need high gloss - it also has to be non-toxic in a finished state - is it poisonous in a liquid form but ok once cured?

It will be safe in it's cured form. I lined my koi pond with fibreglass, just give it a couple of weeks for the styrene to gas off and all will be ok. You could give Wests a ring just to be sure.

Jason

Back