White pine in the USA

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pgrbff

Established Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what species or group of species that cover the term white pine in the US?
The person that mentioned it was in New England I think.

It didn't look like hemlock. I ca buy hemlock here in Italy, I bought it once, I didn't find it very nice to work with.

We call it Quebec yellow pine and use it for carving, but don't confuse it with Southern yellow pine which is an entirely different beast.

"The Woodbook" (American woods) - the one to which I referred doesn't list a Quebec yellow pine in the fifty or sixty pines it does list (or at least it doesn't in the index). From a few others I've looked at I suspect the terminology is different here to that in the States.

"The Woodbook" (American woods) - the one to which I referred doesn't list a Quebec yellow pine in the fifty or sixty pines it does list (or at least it doesn't in the index). From a few others I've looked at I suspect the terminology is different here to that in the States.
Phil, does that book provide Latin names for the species? If so, look for Pinus strobus. After you've found that it will likely list one or more of the common names such as white pine, spruce pine, eastern white pine, northern pine, soft pine, and so on. Slainte.

eastern white pine and quebec yellow are confusingly the same. very common American wood. we usually get a shonky grade in the uk with huge knots(like bl#@€y oranges)

Back