White Oak bed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keystone

Established Member
Reaction score
It's a queen size bed (63" wide). All M&T American White Oak. The posts are 3 1/2" X 3 1/2", rails are 3" X 1 1/2" and the slats are 3/4" X 3". The thing is real heavy. No dye or stain, just BLO to pop the grain and color. Top coat is a wipe on poly.

bd1-4.jpg

bd1-1.jpg

bd2-1.jpg

bd1-2.jpg

bd2-3.jpg

bd2-2.jpg

Thanks for looking.......

Keystone

Very nice looking, like the others I've done quite a few projects in AWO. Are you going to show pic's of the bed assembled?

The bed is for LOML as a present for Christmas this year. She has always wanted a mission style bed. This one is more a mission inspired as it is not a true mission style.

I will attempt a shot when it is put together. The room it is going in does not give much room for picture taking though.

As for oak, I'd rather work with white oak over red oak anyday. It weights more, but does not chip out as much and tends to be allot easier to finish IMO.

Fantanstic piece! I have to make an oak bed in January and quite like the look of yours. Did you work from plans because I'd like to make something similar?

No plans Rob. Just out of my head. It's pretty straight forward though. I made it as tall as we wanted it. I did miss the spacing on the ends for the slats. That was one of those math mistakes that did not become apparent until it was too late! Your eye won't catch it, but I know it's there.

Very nce - I too am planning on building a bed - there's just not enough room at the moment when our almost 3 year old climbs in bed too early in the morning :roll:

One question - how are you joining the sides to the ends?

Pete

Hi Ken,

Nice bed like the detailing on the tops and the plug infills.
Must admit I bought one last year :oops: need more skill to tackle one like that.
Give me a few years to practice.

Cheers Neil

I love oak and you seem to have worked it well , any more info on the finish ?

Well JFC, it's just BLO and many coats of a thin wipe on poly. Nothing fancy. The prep work on all surfaces was done with my Veritas Cabinet Scrapper and card scrappers. The Poly is sanded with 220 grit dry paper between coats, just enough to scuff it up. The last coat will be given a week, then buffed out with pumice and mineral oil as a lube, cleaned then buffed with a carnuba-beeswax mix.

Back