White gloss spray finish - total spraying beginner

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wobblycogs

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm in the process of making a number of new windows for our house, the joinery is going well but I'm getting close to the part of the job I'm really not looking forward to, painting. Last time I built a batch of windows hand applying the paint took nearly as long as building the windows (well it felt like that anyway)! So, which that in mind I've decided to look into spraying but before I get too far down that rabbit hole I thought it would be best to get some pointers...

I've got four large double hung sash windows and frames to paint. They are made from iroko and will be sanded and properly prepared before any finish is applied. The first batch of windows I made were brush finished with Johnstones Flexible Undercoat and Gloss which has stood the test of time well. I'd like to use this finish again but it doesn't mention spray application on the site so perhaps that's a non-starter.

As for spray equipment what would you recommend? Assume I have (and know) nothing. I'm not looking looking to set up a professional spray shop but I'd like something that will last. I've got a several 16A outlets so feel free to suggest a reasonable sized compressor if that's what's needed.

Cheers :D

I'd recommend degreasing them with meths, followed by a couple coats of dulux aluminium primer,undercoat, topcoat etc. You've gone through all the effort of making them, it'd be a shame to compromise them looking for a quick way out.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Morrells sell a sprayable joinery coating and it looks well. No idea about the system or longevity though. Use one of the many makes of turbine 3 or 4 stage. I prefer Fuji.

petermillard":4ellvjmf said:
I’ve just finished a 4-5 month ‘soak test’ of the Graco Ultramax cordless airless sprayer, might be of some interest?

Part 1 of the 8-Part video series starts here :-

Playing at Spraying P1 (#188) https://youtu.be/q4o1Ak_r468
I'm on video 5 now, fantastic videos !

You're in luck, there's another current thread asking about sprayguns and the replies underneath cover a lot of the territory.
paint-sprayer-for-diy-use-t112875.html

wobblycogs":1vjq0bem said:
The first batch of windows I made were brush finished with Johnstones Flexible Undercoat and Gloss which has stood the test of time well. I'd like to use this finish again but it doesn't mention spray application on the site so perhaps that's a non-starter.
Just about anything can be sprayed, even if the manufacturer doesn't think so :lol:

This might be a non-starter, but not for this reason. Unless you will use the equipment on some sort of semi-regular basis I just don't think it's worth it.

And of course after you buy you have to learn how to spray. Which includes:
  • How much to thin. Variables include gun type, nozzle size and setting, the pressure used, the product being sprayed, the current temperature and humidity. Remember to filter!
  • Effective spraying distances; depends on product type, dilution level, temp and humidity.
  • How to mask effectively. Fair warning: can be a giant PITA when spraying in situ! Don't underestimate the cost either if using quality painter's tape.
  • How to properly clean everything when you're done. Cleaning the equipment afterwards is almost never covered properly by guides IMO because few come straight out and say it is tedious, often time consuming, and can consume more solvent than you're comfortable with.
All this before tackling the first window.

Slightly off topic Peter but I've just watched both your finger pull videos. Fitting a bush to your router would have made the hogging out the first part much safer instead of freehand. Most routers ive had come with a 30mm bush, so if you put in the largest diameter flute bit you've got (maybe a 25mm) then that'd give the same result as a bearing guided cutter.

petermillard":2dgvalfs said:
I’ve just finished a 4-5 month ‘soak test’ of the Graco Ultramax cordless airless sprayer, might be of some interest?

This is excellent. Honest, thorough, and informative.

Thanks to all for the great information, certainly enough to get me started. I'm just sitting down to watch the rest of Peter's videos with a cuppa.

I won't be using the equipment very often and the clean up doesn't look like fun but I think over it's lifetime it'll pay for itself. Worst case scenario is I don't get on with it and sell it on for a moderate loss.

Thanks again.

custard":1i501ikn said:
petermillard":1i501ikn said:

This is excellent. Honest, thorough, and informative.

Thanks! And it’s not over yet...

wobblycogs":3s9lteag said:
Thanks to all for the great information, certainly enough to get me started. I'm just sitting down to watch the rest of Peter's videos with a cuppa.

I won't be using the equipment very often and the clean up doesn't look like fun but I think over it's lifetime it'll pay for itself. Worst case scenario is I don't get on with it and sell it on for a moderate loss.

Thanks again.
Thanks! We get to the clean up towards the end of the series (8 in total) and it isn’t at all onerous in this particular range.

ColeyS1":3qxhftmp said:
Slightly off topic Peter but I've just watched both your finger pull videos. Fitting a bush to your router would have made the hogging out the first part much safer instead of freehand. Most routers ive had come with a 30mm bush, so if you put in the largest diameter flute bit you've got (maybe a 25mm) then that'd give the same result as a bearing guided cutter.

Thanks, yes, I came to that conclusion afterwards. As I think I mentioned in that video, I only had an hour or so to do nine of these, and I just had to get on with it...

A quick follow up for those interested...

Thanks to all for the great advice it really helped me get a good start on my search for the right spray system. After watching Peters video series on the Graco I nearly hit the buy button but after looking around some more I finally settled on the a Fuji Mini-Mite system (the Wood-whisperer did a good intro video) with the tight spaces gun. The Graco looks like a good system for people on the road but the gun doesn't look like it would be as good at getting into tight spaces and the fact it uses DeWalt batteries was going to be a pain as my battery powered kit is all Makita.

I test sprayed some unthinned emulsion first assuming it wouldn't work but to my delight it dried to a lovely smooth finish. It was a very humid day though so I think I got lucky to avoid orange peel due to the long drying time. Since then I've sprayed the window frames and once I'd got the thinning right (I'm aiming for somewhere between single and double cream) the finish is excellent, far better than I could manage with a brush. Clean up with water based finishes is easy, with oil based it's a bit more time consuming but I prefer it to cleaning brushes I think. The amount of over spray I'm getting is entirely acceptable for use in a workshop. I've got everything covered in sheets at the moment but if I was doing something small I'd probably just cover the immediate area.

Cheers :D

Attachments

• IMG_20180722_111748.jpg
    IMG_20180722_111748.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 71
Back