Whippet Model Engine

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
whippet-11.jpg

The shape of the combustion chamber is very interesting

Nigel
that remids me of my single cylinder Ruston D (engine around 20HP)
everytime it fired on the higher revs it used to dump the water out of the tank....
actually a 45gallon ex-oil drum.....like urs just a bit bigger.....
keep that style going......hahaha....

Nigel
that remids me of my single cylinder Ruston D (engine around 20HP)
everytime it fired on the higher revs it used to dump the water out of the tank....
actually a 45gallon ex-oil drum.....like urs just a bit bigger.....
keep that style going......hahaha....
Thank you, plan is to make a "pressed" brass stand for the fuel tank and maybe make a water pump....it needs to drive something 😀 and earn its keep

A bit of photoshop CAD.

Original that I ran yesterday:
whippet-coolant-pipes-01.jpg

Cut, paste and move around to get an idea of what I needed to do:
whippet-coolant-pipes-02.jpg

and then some repositioning of the pipes for real:
whippet-coolant-pipes-03.jpg

a bit of a mess that needs tidying up, but just ran the engine and it now runs cooler and the water gets hot. Also, you can feel the temperature difference between the upper and lower pipes.

The plastic lid has an 8mm diameter hole in it and is just there to stop all of the water escaping with the vibration.

Thank you for posting this.
I have always wanted to build model engines, and started by building Stuart models No 10 H and No 1 with reversing gear.
But what I really wanted to do, was build a scale model of an 8LB3 Gardner diesel - about 3 - 4 feet long ! Still have the desire, but not the time, skill and money !
I spent my early years ( about 1952 ) on an ex Naval pinnace ( 86 feet long ) which my Dad converted from steam to a Gardner semi-diesel ( T4 ) . Again, a beautiful piece of engineering ! Sadly, this was confiscated by the Egyptian government during the Suez Canal crisis.
There in lies a complete story in itself.
Thanks again, I really appreciate your enjoyment of engines.

Latest posts

Back