Which wood pilot/countersink

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ovenpaa

Established Member
Reaction score
I have just had a set of drill pilots/countersink bits arrive via Amazon and despite being reasonable pricey they are hopeless with the diameter of the countersink all being the same! So can someone recommend some usable countersink/pilot drill bits that do as they are supposed to please.

You won't go wrong with the range from www.wealdentool.com ..............and they are tungsten tipped. Buy the counterbore bits and matching plug cutters as well. Expensive but you only have to cry once o_O

I use a two step approach starting off with something like you already have but follow it up with a dedicated countersink that leaves a far superior countersink to the “multi function” bits. Got myself the following in two different sizes and highly recommend them for use in not just wood but also steel.
https://www.axminstertools.com/fisch-hss-colbalt-countersink-12-4mm-500743

Cromwell tools (country wide and post) will sell them carbide tipped countersinks with different degrees heads.....
My 5/8ths is 15 years old and still does the job in steel, norm 1/2" plate....but always in a pillar drill for the heavy steel work....

I have just had a set of drill pilots/countersink bits arrive via Amazon and despite being reasonable pricey they are hopeless with the diameter of the countersink all being the same! So can someone recommend some usable countersink/pilot drill bits that do as they are supposed to please.
But the thing about countersunk screws is that if for example you compare the heads of six 5.0mm screws from six different manufacturers you'll probably get five or six different head diameters...

The one way to fix that is to get a drill/countersink with an adjustable depth stop.

The reason for having only one or two sizes of countersink/counterbore body is probably to reduce the number of different plug cutters you need to pellet drilled, countersunk and counterbored holes - only having to work with 3/8in and 1/2in (the sizes Trend work with) for screws up to 6.0mm makes life a lot easier and allows the use of bought-in tapered pellets

But the thing about countersunk screws is that if for example you compare the heads of six 5.0mm screws from six different manufacturers you'll probably get five or six different head diameters...
That is undoubtedly true but as with any manufacturing process there has to be an ellement of 'tolerance' and with a 5mm screw that would mean that the head diameter could be anything between 8.6 and 9.8mm (Mach. Handbook 26th Ed. p1456) and still conform to the 'standard'. It doesn't mean that different manufacturers use different dimensions simply to be different and screws from the same source could also be different - even from the same manufacturing run.

It doesn't mean that different manufacturers use different dimensions simply to be different and screws from the same source could also be different - even from the same manufacturing run.
As a site we currently use around 6 to 8k screws a week, at least at present (that's 30 to 40 boxes, but is well down from our peak usage). I find that within a given manufacturer there generally isn't much variation in size for a specific size of screw. So if you are using 4 or 5 boxes of 5.0 x 100/70mm screws a day from, say, Timco, they will be pretty much consistent box to box. Switch to Spax or Reisser or ForgeFast or ScrewTite and I can pretty much guarantee that the same (nominal) size screws will have different heads. And I specifically chose 5.0 x 100 because whilst most manufacturers use PZD#2 connectors, there are a few who use PZD#3 in this size (which generally requires a bigger head). We've noticed these variations particularly in the last few months as our supplier has struggled to deliver the quantities of fixings we need and so have at times sourced from wherever they can get them.

There may be standards for UK manufactured screws, but for screws imported?

Last edited:
Ah.. You are using more screws in a week than I've used in my lifetime I suspect :oops:

Of course if any manufacturer sees a benefit of stepping away from the 'Standard' because a particular style of screw needs a larger head due to driving recess (PZD3 / 2) then there will be a divergence.

Thank you all for your replies. As woodworking is a hobby to me I was not really aware of Wealden Tool so I will take a closer look although the Rutland one looks perfect for my needs.

Gregmcateer, thank you :)

They have just turned three and this was taken around their birthday. They are litter mates and a cracking pair, they are workshop dogs and always have one eye on the counter so they can bark at the local keepers and be bribed with a biscuit in return. They are house dogs and both come out with me come the winter season. I have an older one as well who is about to turn ten now, so he is ready to retire as he creaks even more than I do.

Attachments

• 20210520_161804.jpg
    20210520_161804.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 14
I've had a set of Trend flip-over drill/countersink for many years and, as an amateur myself, I find they do the job very well. The set I have does #6, #8, #10 screws, and the flip-over to pozi driver chuck is very handy. £15 a set seems cheaper than I remember paying!

Back