Which wood for patio furniture?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

I'm going to have a go at making some outdoor furniture for the patio over the winter and have been deciding on types and plans recently. I now get to the expensive bit of buying the materials which is where my limited knowledge is getting in the way.

Up to now I have got by with small interior (mainly out of site or garage storage) projects using whatever Homebase has in stock - mainly spruce. I have a feeling I should be using something more suitable this time but I have no idea what I should really use, or where to get it.

Any suggestions will be gratefully received.

Thanks.

Hi Trevor

Iroko is the poor man's teak. I did some research and this is the one to use, apparently. I am waiting until next year before embarking on the same project.

The only problem is that you need to be prepared for sparks, literally, when cutting it. It is fairly heavy on your blades.

Cheers
Neil

Newbie_Neil":2ffhjxue said:
Iroko is the poor man's teak. I did some research and this is the one to use, apparently.

The only problem is that you need to be prepared for sparks, literally, when cutting it. It is fairly heavy on your blades.

Hi,

I have started to make a folding chair for the patio and am using Iroko, it has planed, sawn and routed much more freely than Teak. I have not had any sparks from it, in the past Teak has indeed sparked. I think there is some silica in Teak that causes the sparks that is missiing in the Iroko. I have been very pleased with how cleanly the Iroko has worked.

Thanks for the tips on wood choice folks.

Now to the question of where to get it and how much is it going to cost me. I am also limited by a lack of table saw or planer/thicknesser, so ideally I will be looking to get stock in (more or less) the right sizes. I'm based in High Wycombe (Bucks) so any recommendations?

Latest posts

Back