which way for the blade?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi there just to tell you most saw blades cut on the forward stroke except wood saw blades they run on both ways. Yep set the teeth to the front of the saw ok it cuts on the forwards strike ok.

Personally I use whichever direction forces the material against some fixed stop or other. In wood a pull stroke draws material away from a bench hook. In metal the same applies. Push or Pull I use either according to need.
xy

Our metalwork teacher told us at school, that a hacksaw blade should be mounted with the teeth pointing towards the handle, and that it cuts on the pull stroke, so I have always done so without any issues. Works very well.

I normally only use my coping saw for cutting scribes on skirting, for this I have the skirting facing me and have the coping saw blade cutting on the push stroke, if I had it cutting on the pull stroke I would either have to work from the back of skirting or risk it tearing out when working from the front. All depends what you're doing though I guess

My metalwork teacher told me to find some elbow grease......I'm still looking ;)
Did he send you off to the store room for a long weight as well?!
Personally, I find that all my saws work best with a stroke that combines pushing and pulling :p

I have been told that I use an angle grinder the wrong way round though....

My understanding is that the arrow on a hacksaw blade points in the direction of the cut and not the direction it should be fitted. Personally, I think you should fit it in your preferred direction or in the direction the situation requires.

I still have some motor vehicle technology books from the fifties which covers "Tools And How To Use" .All say P U S H is the way to go

Back