Which turpentine for beeswax finish

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No you will be fine doing this in a ventilated shed. Just don't slosh solvent around willy-nilly. If you spill it, wipe it up and then leave the room for a bit.

Masks of that sort eg N95 will be of no use as the solvent will diffuse through them in the air, the molecules are tiny they are about 10^-9m in diameter whereas N95 is designed to filter-out particles (eg covid19 droplets) that are 10^-6m in diameter about 1000 times bigger.

However for a small job like a jam jar full and a piece of furniture such as your workbench you should be below the exposure limit if you do the work in a well ventilated room. Open the window of your shed/garage and you should be fine.

The key thing is not to over expose yourself. The long term effect of these solvents is damage to your nervous system (ie increase the likelihood of nervous deceases such as Parkinson's, MS etc) . The occasional finishing of jobs will be fine.

Professionals who wax furniture all day for a living should take extra precautions such as having a ventilated cubicle for this kind of work for use a forced air face mask. For your job don't worry. The key point is don't slosh the solvent around willy= nilly (sorry English term - don't splash it everywhere as if it was water).

Oh and the final point is white spirit is 5 times less hazadous so you can wax five times more for the same hazard to your heath, so be a bit more careful with Turpentine.
Do you think that I can use a stainless steel bowl for bain-marie (where I will put turpentine, BLO, beeswax and carnauba wax) or there can be some bad reaction with nickel or chromium? Thanks.

Do you think that I can use a stainless steel bowl for bain-marie (where I will put turpentine, BLO, beeswax and carnauba wax) or there can be some bad reaction with nickel or chromium? Thanks.
Yes it is pretty perfect for this job. Steel, stainless steel or Pyrex will be fine. Stainless better than mild steel. Although there may be some iron and chromium sites on the metal that catalyse the turps oxidising, the surface area of a polished pot is so small that it has a negligible effect.

Back