Which Tormek

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cd

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Been lurking for a month or so now so its time to try my first post.
I am thinking about purchasing a Tormek probably early in the New Year, mainly for sharpening turning tools. What I’m trying to find out from Tormek users is whether I should spend more and get the 2006 or will the 1206 be ok. I can’t see the 30mins rating causing me too many problems, as I’m only likely to be turning it on to sharpen the odd chisel or gouge at a time (except maybe the first time :) ). As far as I can see all the jigs are compatible with either model, although I have read (somewhere in this forum I think) that the planer knife jig does not work with the 1206 and would be interested in finding out if this were true. What I don’t want to do if it’s not necessary is spend the extra £115 on the bigger model when that could have gone a long way to getting the jigs I want for it.

CD

If you don't get a good answer from here, ring Brimarc and ask them - as the UK importer - they are very knowledgable. They are all at the Axminster show until Saturday - so you wouldn't be able to ask until Monday. I can't think of the name of the chap who does all their demo's - Keith perhaps? Anyway it's Martin Browns dad - who posts on here regularly.

I have to admit I don't know the difference between a 2006 and a 1206 in terms of mounting that specific jig but I was surprised to find that I do run the machine for much longer than I imagined, as I tend to save items up and have a sharpening-fest. I do have a P/T blade jig, but haven't used it yet, - Aragorn is the only person I know of that has used one on here.

Have you tried the search facility (top right) and typed in Tormek?

Good luck with the purchase, and welcome to the forums...

Adam

Hi CD,

I have the smaller Tormek (1206) which I originally purchased for sharpening ordinary chisels. However, about 2 years ago I purchased my first lathe - a Record CL1 - (didn't know whether I'd take to it or not). I also purchased the Tormek pack which provides all the common jigs, the leather wheel (and extension axle) etc to be able to sharpen my small collection of turning tools.

I have had no problems with the Tormek and the tools have kept the angles and bevels similar to 'as bought' - I am sure that, without the jigs, I would have made a right mess, although I know that most professional turners don't use jigs (or wet grinders). However, their skill levels are many many times better than mine.

The jigs are the same regardless of which Tormek you buy. The 30 minute rating has not been important to me since I use the grinder frequently but only for 5 - 10 minutes at a time.

I cannot comment about the planer knife jig because I don't have one - sorry.

Now all I need is someone to teach me how to turn wood! - any offers?

Regards

I too was under the impression that the planer blade jig would not fit the smaller model but to quote Tormek;

"All the jigs and accessories also fit the smaller model"

but they go on to say

"If you use the SVH-320 jig for sharpening electric planer blades we recommend the larger model"

FWIW I think the larger grinding wheel is a distinct advantage.

Keith

Ever so slightly off-topic here, can anyone recommend a supplier of the very fine grit (1000, 1500, 2000) paper suitable for getting to grips with the scary sharp method? The highest I can find in the shops is 800 and that's rather expensive!

(can't afford a Tormek yet :()

Hi Neil,

With regard to suggesting there is a better option to the Tormek for turning tools, what I should have said is there is an easier option.

I have used and tested many jigs and grinders and have found nothing to beat the edge that I can get from the Tormek and the leather wheel attached.

For my turning I mainly use the TruGrind jig from New Zealand, a simple jig that will take many different tools, whereas the Tormek almost needs a seperate jigs for each tool. I have problems with the stones on the Tormek wearing unevenly due to continually sharpening round gouges.

With regard to the difference in the two Tormeks, I'm sure the jigs fit both, there is a size difference in the wheels which may affect buying other wheels such as the pink wheels from Peter Childs and the main difference is the running time but if you're not using the Tormek continually the 1206 would be a good buy.

Regards....Mike

If there is even a remote chance that you will ever want to sharpen planer knives go for the bigger one. It will soon recoup the extra cost, and mine is well on the way to having paid for itself with the saving in time and money compared with sending planer knives away for grinding. I can get a far better edge on them too. An excellent tool!

I've got the 1206 and have used it for a number of years. I have quite a few of the jigs (expensive, but make life so easy). I have the planer knife jig and use it without problem to sharpen 10" planer blades. The best jig is for the fingernail gouge used in turning (a difficult thing to grind well without the jig). I don't think you'll regret buying either, but for general use the 1206 will cope.

thank you all for your replies,

I don't have a P/T at the moment and was really just making sure that I could use if i ever get the space (and money :wink: ) for one I would be able to sharpen the knives myself.

Asleitch: I will give Brimarc a ring another opinion can't be a bad thing.!
SMD: I was pleased to hear you had got on well with the "turners pack" of jigs ect, that was what I was planing to get with maybe the kitchen knife one, to keep SWMBO happy. Can't offer much help with the Turning I'm only getting back into it after 8 years of nowhere to put my lathe but at least now I have a bit more money for my hobby :) .

One more question on this I would like to ask of those who were lucky enough to go to tools 04, was there much discount on any of the Tormek stuff ?

thanks again

CD

cd - Thanks for posting the question I am in the same position & plan to buy a bit latter (About March / April w/shop won't be finished 'till then) From the replies it looks like the 1206 is the one to go for. I did speak to user at Ally Pally in Feb. & he said his firm only went for the larger model since all his site chippies get their tools sharpened for them and it's running nearly eight hours a day. He advised users like you & I to go for the 1206

just back from tools 2004 - daren't even add up how much I spent - you know its bad when you have to get authorisation over the phone!!
:shock:
Anyway - I bought the 1206 (the smaller one) after a long and immensely informative conversation with Keith who was demonstrating. He basically said that because I work on my own there was no need for the bigger model unless I did lots of turning work and planned to sharpen planer blades as well. Since I don't turn and my planer has disposable blades the decision was easy. Needless to say will have sharpened everything I can by the middle of next week! :lol:

T

cd & Losos,

If you are only going to be dealing with turning tools a cheaper, and satisfactory option, might be the Creusen white-wheel, slow-speed dry grinder from Axminster - specially designed to avoid overheating cutting edges but, I believe, rated for 30 mins. running rather than continuous.

I have the larger Tormek (LOML wanted to buy it for me so I had to go for the 10" one!). It was the 2005 then (now the 2006) but, seriously, my reason for opting for the 10" wheel was because I wanted it for both turning tools and chisels and plane irons. The 10", as opposed to the 8", obviously has a greater radius therefore, I think, leaving marginally more support to the cutting edge for plane irons and chisels whilst still providing a sufficiently concave bevel for the turning tools.

I have been using mine for about two years now and get superb results. Apart from the mortice chisels, which occasionally get whacked with a mallet, I no longer use secondary bevels - I find that the primary bevel, after honing to a mirror finish on the leather honing wheel, with some Tormek toothpaste, is just as good, and the tools will usually only need honing for two or three 'touch-ups' before going back to the grindstone. FWIW.

Cheers,

Trev.

Hi Mike

Cutting Crew":16mal5n9 said:
With regard to suggesting there is a better option to the Tormek for turning tools, what I should have said is there is an easier option.

Sorry, I re-read your posting and you did say it was easier. :oops:

Cheers
Neil

Any half decent motor factors should stock wet and dry up to 2/3000 grit.

Noel

Back