Which tool?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knappers

Established Member
Reaction score
Having been given a set of O'Donnell jaws for Xmas, what is the best tool for making the angled recesses or spigots to use them with?
I only have a basic axminster set of chisels so far. I would have thought trying to use the pointy end of the skew would just give me dig ins, yes?
Thanks guys.
Si.

Pointy end of the skew Si, just use it slightly trailing like a scraper ie handle up, if worried about dig ins.

Cheers, Paul

mark out Dia. of recess with pencil ,tool rest across face of workpiece and use the parting tool.
Work into dept reqd. and take out that dept working to center

1/2" skew, front angle to match jaw (15deg.?) lay flat (horizontally) on tool rest.

DSCN1299.JPG

Likewise for spigot, only using 90deg. approach.

+ another 1.

If you are doing a tenon just remember to true the end of the blank or when you have cut the dovetail to go into the jaws there's a good chance that it won't sit square :oops: :oops: It may look square to the eye, but just true it up with your parting tool until you have a cut mark on the complete face!!

I only made that mistake once, then agin a couple of times more when I weren't thinking :oops: :oops:

I've never thought of using the small skew for this as I use a 6mm parting/beading tool that has been ground to 15/20 degs. across of the face. I would reckon this is better in that being a parting tool it is shaped to do the facing for the tenon better and for the dovetail it is so much narrow a cutting face than the 12mm skew that is is far less likely to dig in. You can also twist it a bit to get in to clean up corners without there being 12mm of steel that is likely to catch somewhere.

Rob

Latest posts

Back