Which task would YOU do First?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benchwayze

Established Member
Reaction score
Here's my dilemma:

My SCMS is on a temporary bench. Quite useable, but not a posh setting for it.
I dismantled my lathe, which I don't want to throw away.
I can use my workbench as it is, with some jigging around of stuff that needs storage space.

I have to make:

Storage space for portable machinery and router bits/drills
A new lathe bench. (No urgent need for the lathe, but in its dissembled state, it's taking up space for storing other stuff. ) I was thinking of a built in surface across the 8' back wall, with roller cupboards underneath.)
A new castored bench on which to mount the Triton Work centre.
A new workbench. (All the timber has been ripped down.)
A couple of cupboards under the lathe bench.
A mitre-saw station to double as a drill stand area.
A tool wall over the bench.

I have a rough idea what I should do, but each time I start, I think.. 'Hang on. Maybe first I ought to...' etc...
I know it isn't easy to visualise, but what would YOU do first. With reasons if possible. It might help me sort out where to start!

Thanks in anticipation folks.

:D

John - you should try doing that same exercise with the design and construction of a large chemical plant, or something like a major track replacement on the railways that has to be complete by a certain time. It can become 'an interesting intellectual exercise' (or 'bl**dy nightmare' if you prefer).

Here's one approach. One wet and windy evening, sit down with a pad of scrap paper and list the jobs that need doing (you've already done that above). For each job, list the materials and tools required to complete it. You may find that one tool or another crops up for several jobs - so it would make sense to set that tool up first. If a permanent set-up isn't easy, consider a temp., even if it's on the patio. Then work through the other items. By the time you've got past the first one or two, the rest very often just drops into place.

The very act of writing it down and shuffling it about on paper in this way seems to clear the mind somehow. The great morass of things that need doing becomes resolved into a logical sequence.

If it doesn't, ebay the lot and take up stamp collecting. Probably cheaper, as well...

Cheshirechappie":3np47v55 said:
John - you should try doing that same exercise with the design and construction of a large chemical plant, or something like a major track replacement on the railways that has to be complete by a certain time. It can become 'an interesting intellectual exercise' (or 'bl**dy nightmare' if you prefer).

Here's one approach. One wet and windy evening, sit down with a pad of scrap paper and list the jobs that need doing (you've already done that above). For each job, list the materials and tools required to complete it. You may find that one tool or another crops up for several jobs - so it would make sense to set that tool up first. If a permanent set-up isn't easy, consider a temp., even if it's on the patio. Then work through the other items. By the time you've got past the first one or two, the rest very often just drops into place.

The very act of writing it down and shuffling it about on paper in this way seems to clear the mind somehow. The great morass of things that need doing becomes resolved into a logical sequence.

If it doesn't, ebay the lot and take up stamp collecting. Probably cheaper, as well...

Thanks CC.
One problem. I already have a stamp collection!

For everyone else who has so far contributed, I think I am leaning towards the idea that whilst I can use my SCMS as it is, it would be a better idea to make the refined Saw-Station first. For sure it's going to be used in all the other processes.

I will sit down with a pencil and paper though and list it all properly.

As stated, that might clear the air.
Any further thoughts will be appreciated of course!

So now I am clear about the first job, I need to go and by some 70mm square redwood for the legs! :lol:

Cheers folks :D

John

In this situation I always do the same thing.

I put the kettle on and have a cup of tea. :D :D

But seriously I am in much the same position at the moment, with a half altered showroom, a workshop which needs storage because I altered my showroom and the the lack of stock to fill the showroom.

And also customers wanting me to do work for them. :roll: :roll:

I know which I have to do first but it is really getting me down looking at the organised mess I am having to work in at the moment.

Any way back to my cupper :D :D

Tom

tomatwark":3u21q58h said:
John

In this situation I always do the same thing.

I put the kettle on and have a cup of tea. :D :D

But seriously I am in much the same position at the moment, with a half altered showroom, a workshop which needs storage because I altered my showroom and the the lack of stock to fill the showroom.

And also customers wanting me to do work for them. :roll: :roll:

I know which I have to do first but it is really getting me down looking at the organised mess I am having to work in at the moment.

Any way back to my cupper :D :D

Tom

So at least I'm not the only one then! :mrgreen: :?

If it were me John I'd be inclined to build any storage first and get the clutter out of the way. Yes you need your Mitre saw but that can easily be mounted on a temporary, foldable work bench and shifted around as needed. Ditto the tool wall as that is unlikely to affect anything else but will get stuff out of the way.

So.

Lathe bench with storage under first.
Tool Wall
Castored bench for Triton
Mite saw station
Work bench

is probably what I'd do.

Id agree with studders- get at least some storage done first.

IIRC though there is an existing workbench that could be used...

andersonec":374cgbfc said:
But if you had a bench to work on then making the storage would be so much easier?????

Andy
Possibly. In my case I tend to cut all my panel stuff outside anyway because of lack of room and the mess doing it inside would make, assembly in situ is then easy enough.
Also having to constantly move stuff around is a real pain. It's guaranteed that if you tidy everything into one space the next place you need to work in is.......

First organise some temporary storage space indoors (with swimbo if needed, bribe as necessary), clear as much room as you need in the work area. Have a good think about what tools need a fixed station and which one of those requires the most room (both to be placed and room stand/work next to), that for me would be the indicator of what needs to be built and sorted first - no one else will agree but I dont care, I'm an individual just like everybody else... :)

Thanks again folks.

The SCMS is on a temporary bench, and is usable. Just a slight fiddle for repeat cuts to length, to get accuracy ATM.
I think that it's good advice to get some room to work, so I will concentrate of storage.
I need to devise a 'modular system' of cupboards as everything that rests on the floor needs to be on castors. So the simpler the design, without compromising strength the better.
So storage first. Then the tool wall. The woodwork bench last.

My existing bench is quite satisfactory for working on. And it might be the most satisfying way, to finish with the new bench. Then I'm ready to start furniture making again. So glad I don't do this for a living!
Thanks for now folks. I'll keep you posted. :D

Back