Which Table Saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Discobob

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

as eBay has some good discounts and I am flipping some Parkside table saws for a profit I am looking to get a decent (ish) table saw. I was uming and aring about the Dewalt 7485 at £400 but these went out of stock (240v) - although I didn't like a review that said getting the blade at an angle (even 90 degrees) was nigh on impossible because of the slide design. Two others that are left are the Bosch GTS10J2 and the Metabo TS 254 M table saw, both are available with stands for £414 and £316 respectively.

I know that the Metabo is new to market but it does seem to be a decent price all considered and the angle change seems to be more controlled with using the wheel rather than a shove. Both have non-standard mitre slots, but on the video's I have seen it looks like the Bosch also has a push adjustment for the angle - can anybody confirm this??

One thing I did see with the Bosch is that it looks like its height adjustment is done with metal gears whereas I suspect the Metabo uses plastic.

Thoughts guys - looking to buy tonight!!! Usage will be a small space in the garage and outside weather permitting.

The axminster ac216ts. There's even a second hand one on the unmentionable bay at the moment. It's a small step up from what you have listed, but always go one bigger than you can afford (SunnyBob's standard advice on buying tools, and he's right.)

Hi - had a look at the hobby but it is 200 miles away and we are still in lockdown in Wales.

TBH I don’t like buying second hand on something like this and those 2 I have listed are (well the Bosch) are at the top of my price range unless I get 6 more park side saws to flip as to get a 216 new, plus a mitre that it deserves and possibly a stand would bump it to £700 - and I have more stuff to buy!!

60kg - and getting it palleted - would cost a bomb unless someone knows different - also he is honest and says there is a problem with the blade moving when adjusting

Discobob":et5usi97 said:
Hi - had a look at the hobby but it is 200 miles away and we are still in lockdown in Wales.

TBH I don’t like buying second hand on something like this and those 2 I have listed are (well the Bosch) are at the top of my price range unless I get 6 more park side saws to flip as to get a 216 new, plus a mitre that it deserves and possibly a stand would bump it to £700 - and I have more stuff to buy!!
What's the deal with reselling Lidl saws? Surely with all the hassle involved there must be better ways to make money?

£59.99 from Lidl - sold for nearly double on eBay with £1 final value fee - got two of them to double my money to get a better saw. Off to see if there are any left tomorrow

There are people here doing the same thing. The Cyprus equivalent of ebay is swamped with unopened lidl stuff, all at more than the shop price.

I knew a man back in England who bought bulk tea towels from ebay, and then sold indivifual towels on ebay for a profit :shock: :shock: :shock:
Its called auction fever.
If you want a smallish table saw that is portable then I can recommend the dewalt 745 and its a lot of saw for the money.

Yassas Sunnybob - are we brothers?? I used to live (or rather stationed in Episkopi) in Cyprus in the early 90's - Met my wife there in what she calls a Holiday Romance that went wrong :D

Been back loads of times on holiday - eldest son was conceived there - youngest son's first holiday was while my wife was pregnant (nearly 6 months) - we were last there two years ago.

Unfortunately the 745 isn't available now due to new laws (US based) that limits the size of the blade to the size of saw bed - now it is the 7485 which has an 8" blade and as I said earlier I have seen a review saying that they weren't able to set 90 degrees because of the "push" way of changing the angle - and the only ones on offer at the moment are 110V.

I've been here 12 years, never regretted a day, 8) Closer to Dhekelia than epi. if you come back again let me know and we can meet for a beer.
I cant believe the 745 is NLA. Its a damn fine saw, although it took some convincing me to buy it.
Oh well, something else I cant advise on any more. :roll:

Discobob":7ldd1mdh said:
Unfortunately the 745 isn't available now due to new laws (US based) that limits the size of the blade to the size of saw bed - now it is the 7485 which has an 8" blade and as I said earlier I have seen a review saying that they weren't able to set 90 degrees because of the "push" way of changing the angle - and the only ones on offer at the moment are 110V.

For what it's worth, I just picked up the 240v version of this today for £400 on the well known auction site. The retailer is FFX. I'll let you know how I get on with the angle setting. It's rare that I need to change away from 90 degree cuts, so as long as it's doable it will still be a massive upgrade on my Woodstar POS that i picked up for free.

Inutopia":1jynu3h9 said:
Discobob":1jynu3h9 said:

For what it's worth, I just picked up the 240v version of this today for £400 on the well known auction site. The retailer is FFX. I'll let you know how I get on with the angle setting. It's rare that I need to change away from 90 degree cuts, so as long as it's doable it will still be a massive upgrade on my Woodstar POS that i picked up for free.

I did see that they had come back into stock - with Quidco you can get it below £400 - what is really irritating is that these saws sell for $300 in the USA from the video's that I have seen today on YouTube - decisions decisions!!

Well - bought the 7485 - the main decision being if I don't get on with it I will easily get a good return on the tool if I sell it on - the others are unknown

Also buying some more rails for my track saw (so I can Cut down sheets to size) - I know that some people only use one or the other - but I am going to refurb our staircase and make under stairs storage so I will have a need for all bits

One more tool I want to get is a band saw but that will have to wait for another month (or until Lidl get some more table saws in :D )

I now have to build a workbench - with the saw integrated!!!

Unless you are going for open brackets on the stair, Trend make a very useful router jig for the tread and riser housing.

MikeJhn":1wlkybt1 said:
Unless you are going for open brackets on the stair, Trend make a very useful router jig for the tread and riser housing.

It is a refurb so stairs and tread will remain - going to replace spindles and hand rail with oak - and clad the existing newel posts and stringers.

I do have one issue and that is the bottom step which is a quarter turn half landing step which I would like to remove to make a straight staircase, but extract the bullnose part to use as a bullnose normal bottom step. It is big enough to do it but I am not sure if my thinking is madness?? I have seen bullnose steps for sale individually so I believe it can be done

It's not made anymore, but the Trend Router lathe is excellent at making spindles, be careful buying second hand the pulleys are plastic and tend to be broken, but I do have a supply of them if you find one with busted pulleys I can send you a few.

Well - no table saw coming - I bloody ordered the wrong voltage and the offer has finished now - will have to wait for the next one - FFX won't swap it :(

Latest posts

Back