Which table saw wheel kit?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the Axminster one on my P/T. It's pretty good, tho I hear the Jet one is much better.

Sounds like the 30 quid axminster kit is good then. What other bits do I need to get the saw set up and running? i.e. stuff for cleaning gunk off, stuff for stopping rust, blades, etc.

I haven't even got the thing out of the box. Does it have a plug on the end or do I need to fit one? Will it run off a 13amp socket?

Cheers,

Dave

Dave, are you referring to the SIP 01332 CI saw?
I have the Axminster wheel kit on the above and it works a treat. I use a silicon spray on the tables with no problems, others use paste wax. To be honest I don't think it really maters. Mine runs on a 16A breaker, some folk get away with a 13A socket.
Cheers

Dave,

I bought the axminster wheel kit for my table saw, however I found it didn't work very well on my rough floor because of the small wheels. I also have a very small workshop so decided to build a stand that also utilised the space underneath :

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=21814&highlight=

you could do something similar (but without the router built in) and so utilise the space underneath (when I did it I bought larger diameter wheels from axminster which made moving it a lot easier)

failing that I have a spare axminster set that you can buy if you want

Yes that is a good point, the small wheels need a very level smooth surface or you'll be doing lot of pushing and shoving to get over the bumps DAMHIKT

Cheers for all the advice. It is the Sip 01332 CI which I've bought.

I went hunting downstairs this morning for some spare angle iron which would help with making my own wheel kit but it's all gone (and I let it all go :cry: ). I'd like to make my own stand but time isn't really on my side at the moment. A basic wheel kit with big wheels would probably put the saw too high for me (I'm only small).

The floor in the new workshop isn't actually down yet but it is plywood and will hopefully be relatively level and smooth. Anything has to be easier than sliding the box over joists.

Cheers,

Dave

I've also got the £30 Axminster wheel kit and use it with my 150kg planer-thicknesser. I agree with what's been said about moving it on an uneven concrete floor. The same applies if you're not in to a habit of sweeping up regularly as well... :roll: :wink:

Saying that, it does make life a heck of a lot easier. Be aware that it only pivots on one end though, if you understand what I mean?

it will be fine on a ply floor. I only need to move mine back and foward about a foot so its not much trouble.

I have the axminster kit on my SIP cast iron t/s. Works fine on my wood floor. Agree tho about the small wheels, it needs a clean smooth'ish floor. And I agree with your first post, you can move one of the saws alone. Lifting the cast top onto the base nearly did me in tho :)

I've got the cheaper Axminster base on my tablesaw and the more expensive JET on my bandsaw. I can quite categorically say that the JET is well worth the extra money. The axminster wobbles when the wheels are locked, which isn't a problem until I start to use my tablesaw for something other that cutting. (I have a small workshop, so my saw table doubles as an assembly table.) The JET on the other hand is rock solid, even though it has a less stable and lighter machine on it (JET JWBS16 bandsaw).

I would swap them over, but I cant face lifting my tablesaw. :roll:

To some extent, I agree with Slim about the wobbling wheels. Whether it's actually the wheels or not, I don't know. But sometimes - certainly not all the time - when both wheels are locked down, I can wobble my P/T a bit.

Since this is an irregular experience though, I'd say it has more to do with the unevenness of a concrete floor.

Do people with ply/OSB/chipboard or wooden floors have the same problem?

I find it can easily be resolved by locking down only one side, leaving the other free. In my situation at least, a 150kg cast iron lump still isn't going anywhere! :)

Dave,

Thanks for the link, ineresting stuff. I think the problem lies with the little feet that have to bear the weight when the wheels are lifted. These are woefully inadequate in my opinion.

The difference with the JET, is the the wheels arn't lifted, they have a brake, which does a far better job.

Olly, I have a Chipboard floor.

Back