Which Table Saw PLEASE HELP!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seaco

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

This is my first posting here so be gentle!

I've built my new kitchen now and I'll try to post some pics soon...anyway on to my question depending on where I go to look at these saws all I'll mention are definately the best, so I thought I'd ask the experts for some honest advice?

I have a Kity 1619 which I've used to build my kitchen as well as a tables cupboards etc. However I am thinking of selling it and buying a cast iron topped saw, when I bought the Kity the only cast saw available was a Sedgwick and that's out of my price range but now there's a choice so I need your help. what's your opinions on the following saws:

1) Record Power - TSPP250

2) Sheppach - ts 2500 ci

3) Jet - JTs-250S

From what I've been reading it looks as though the Record may be out due to a recent lack of quality problems but your the experts.

I have seen the Jet at Axminster and quite liked the look of it but it may be a different thing using it. I have seen and liked the older Scheppach with the alloy top but went against it for the Kity partly for that reason (Cast Alloy top on the Kity), I haven't seen the cast iron topped Scheppach version as yet?

As for rhe record I haven't seen that at all...

If there's any other saws you may think would suit I'd love to hear.

Any help would be really appreciated... :)

Regards

Lee

Lee
Welcome to the Forum!
If you use the search facility at the top of the page and enter tablesaw you will find all the infor you need (and more :roll: ). We have had a lot of "entertaining" discussions on this very topic very recently.
Oh, and try searching for Xcaliber-these saws are the ones you are dreaming of :wink:
Cheers
Philly :D

Hi Lee, welcome to the forum.

As Philly says there is a mass of information on the site about table saws. Most people have their favourites, I think Philly has been happy with his Excalibur as I have with my Scheppach.

My little bit of advice is don't forget to add all the on costs;

Do you need a new extractor? (dont forget the crown guard)
Sliding carriage
Side extension table
Outfeed table
SUVA guard
3-4 blades
Wheels?
Cost of getting a 20A socket fitted

It all adds up :(

Keith

KeithS":3nfq6sv6 said:
Mcluma":3nfq6sv6 said:
the Scheppach a 16A.

Keith

I run mine off a normal 13 amp plug. In fact I even measured the current draw. I'm happy thats its OK, but you'll have to make your own decision.
Adam

Mine (Scheppach) also runs off a 13A supply OK, although it does have a tendency to blow the plug fuse on a regular basis. And if I start the extractor before the TS the fuse seems to blow every time.

Thankyou for all your swift replies, the saw that I will eventually buy will have a sliding carriage etc. as for extraction and power supply as I said in my original post I already have a Kity 1619 so I have extraction and a 20 amp source the Kity wouldn't even think of starting on 13 amp!

I am thinking of changing for three reasons 1, is I love cast iron, the wood glides so well and 2, the guide fence on the Kity it quite sticky at times, and never really seems to slide to well for one handed use... :cry:
and 3, the extra weight = less vibration although after saying that the Kity is very smooth.

Does anyone own the Jet and could get back to me on the pro's and cons of this saw it does seem a good saw for the price on first sight?

Thanks again everyone...

Lee

A few members have the SS, Newbie Neil for starters, although don't know if he's finished unwrapping it yet..........

Noel

Hi Seaco and welcome

I have the Jet SS with the sliding table. A slightly cheaper model is available without the sliding table.

No previous saw to compare it with but here are my impressions.

Quality machine throughout from the cast iron tables to the paint job. Good fence with easy micro adjustment that locks at the front and the back with an aluminium extrusion to allow offsetting from the blade. Very solid when locked into position.The sliding table to the left of the blade is ultra smooth and there is a normal T slot to the right of the blade. Blade movement is very smooth with locking wheels to prevent slipping. Although on the face of it, the motor is not as powerful as some, Jet do rate their machines slightly differently to other manufacturers and I haven't had any problem cutting large dense timber.

The mitre guage is attached by screwing it to the sliding table using 2 large handles. This is easily adjustable and accurate but sometimes I get fed up removing it for ripping and re attaching it for cross cutting. It would be slightly easier with a mitre guage that just slid into a slot. But the sliding table facility more than makes up for this as it is a joy to use.

The take off table provided is attached by 4 screws and lifts on and off as required. If like me you push the saw (mobile base) against the wall when it's not being used, you need somewhere to keep it. An improvement would be for the saw to have the same 4 screw attachment on the side of the cabinet under the table extension. Would have made it nice and neat.

All in all lots of good points and a couple of very trivial niggly points.

Would I buy one again ? Absolutely.

Jeff

I am now considering an Xcaliber, Philly your writeups etc on this saw are very good and it's great to hear from someone who actually owns one of these saws, instead of someone giving opinions on ones they've seen at a show...

Lee

Seaco

HAve you tried the search facility?

Just type Scheppach and Jet and then click "search all terms" and voila - you'll find posts like this!

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=665

This is not the cast iron I've reviewed - but I have seen the Scheppach in the flesh and it is rather nice. Then again, so is the Jet. I'd suggest its worth making the effort to see them both and have a go.

I'm sure that'll tip you one way or the other.

Adam

Thanks for taking the time to write that Mdotflorida, yet again a happy owner so it's staying on my list...

Lee

One thing I particularly like on the Scheppach is the long sliding table. This is very useful. Furthermore, the fact you can fix it either forward or backward or with an equal amount either "side" means its very versatile at taking large sheets, unusual shapes etc.

adam

Adam":a7r860px said:
One thing I particularly like on the Scheppach is the long sliding table. This is very useful. Furthermore, the fact you can fix it either forward or backward or with an equal amount either "side" means its very versatile at taking large sheets, unusual shapes etc.

adam

Ahh! sorry I forgot to mention that my workshop isn't that big so a long sliding table isn't really practical... :oops:

Back