Which Table Saw PLEASE HELP!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No problem Lee

By the way, I've just visited my local supplier and the Jet is now priced at £999 inc Vat. This is much less than I got it for nearly a year ago at a trade show.

Lots of good saws in this price bracket though.

Jeff

seaco":3o43fut8 said:
Adam":3o43fut8 said:
One thing I particularly like on the Scheppach is the long sliding table. This is very useful. Furthermore, the fact you can fix it either forward or backward or with an equal amount either "side" means its very versatile at taking large sheets, unusual shapes etc.

adam

Ahh! sorry I forgot to mention that my workshop isn't that big so a long sliding table isn't really practical... :oops:

Lee,

I wouldn't necessarily discount the Scheppach for this reason alone - one the reasons I bought the TS2500 was because of its space saving features (I'm also working in a small workshop). For example, the sliding rail + table can be put in a corner somewhere when you don't need it, and you can fit it onto the saw in under 30secs, without tools (it just slots onto brackets on the side of the saw).

Martin.

Seaco,

Welcome aboard. I have the Scheppach TS2500ci with a 2m sliding table a side extension and a mobile base. I wanted something that would give me decent cuts, cut the big stuff when required and could be packed away easily what I need to get the car in the Garage. As Martin wrote the sliding table and support is quick and easy to remove and put back, the side extension folds down reducing the over all size of the unit dramatically. Another important point was service, looking at this site showed that the UK Importers NMA gave good service, well I can confirm they do give good service, and I am very happy with my purchase.

Must go have some more drawers to build.

DemiFrog

seaco":gzuhwu96 said:
Ahh! sorry I forgot to mention that my workshop isn't that big so a long sliding table isn't really practical... :oops:

Have a look in the gallery, you'll see I work out of practically the smallest workshop of everyone here. By the time you put a TS2500ci, floor standing P/T, workbench, woodrat, morticer, shelving, and a movable bench with the lathe/sander/everything else (in a 8 x 12 foot! workshop), I can confirm that the ability on the scheppach to bring the sliding table forward and backwards is a major benefit - it means you can push the saw into a corner - and still get the full cross cut capability - something not possible on the other saws. I'd recommend it highly for usability in a small space.

Adam

Adam":2u6u7a3j said:
seaco":2u6u7a3j said:

Have a look in the gallery, you'll see I work out of practically the smallest workshop of everyone here. By the time you put a TS2500ci, floor standing P/T, workbench, woodrat, morticer, shelving, and a movable bench with the lathe/sander/everything else (in a 8 x 12 foot! workshop), I can confirm that the ability on the scheppach to bring the sliding table forward and backwards is a major benefit - it means you can push the saw into a corner - and still get the full cross cut capability - something not possible on the other saws. I'd recommend it highly for usability in a small space.

Adam

Hi Adam I see what you mean mine is 12 foot by 18 foot shed and I thought that was small, I must admit that I don't really use the sliding table part much on the Kity as I find it all a bit long winded conecting all the bits to the sliding table to use it when I can just pop on a sliding jig as Norm uses and the cuts done...I do like Scheppach stuff though and I may be going to Yandles soon so hopefully they will have one there...

seaco":31yyqqhl said:
as I find it all a bit long winded conecting all the bits to the sliding table to use it

Do you take it off then? I think I've only ever taken the sliding table off once since i bought it!

Adam

Adam":fr7v9k0a said:
seaco":fr7v9k0a said:
as I find it all a bit long winded conecting all the bits to the sliding table to use it

Do you take it off then? I think I've only ever taken the sliding table off once since i bought it!

Adam

Sorry mate I didn't make that to clear did I :oops: no not removing the sliding table I mean adding the extended mitre gauge etc which takes longer than using Norms panel cutting jig and I use my Dewalt chop saw for angles again much quicker

Well I've just got to second Adam's point about the adjustable sliding table on the Scheppach. It really is a great feature. Whilst re-organising my workshop I've been building a mobile base/cupboard for my router table (which is Bosch metal/prefabricated job).

Anyway, I'm knocking it together from old sheets of MDF I've got lying around the workshop, and therefore have been doing alot of sheet cutting on the TS. The sliding table really is a pleasure to use, and I find I'm using it more and more for sheet work. Of course there are limits, but I've been surprised at how easy (and safe) it is to cut sheets of a moderate size using the sliding table.

And for those that are just that bit large, I just pull the machine out from the wall (it's on a HTC mobile base), pop up the side extension table and I'm away. My workshop is under 2.5M wide, so I was initially sceptical about whether a TS as large as the 2500 was a good idea, but now I'm so glad I bought it :D.

Anyway, apologies if this sounds like a drive-by gloat or something, I just had another of those "I'm so glad I bought this machine" moments and wanted to share it with you.

Incidentally Lee, I now find that I keep the sliding table on most of the time - it only gets taken off if I want to rip something. Even then, the whole assembly (including mitre guage) comes off in a jiffy in one peice (no need to disassemble it).

Martin.

I'd wholeheartedly recommend the TS2500ci - I LOVE mine :lol:

The foldable side table makes a great general surface/gluing surface too in the limited space. Very accurate too :)

Hi all i saw a SIP 10" with a cast iron top today looked very impressive at £500 ish, a sliding table will be added to the options later. Worth a look maybe.

Bean

The only problem I could see with the SIP is that it has an odd size blade at 254mm, not much of a problem? but then the bore is 1 inch, again this can be sorted with a reducing bush but then the blade is thin kerf (well less than 3mm anyway) so if you wanted to fit a different blade the riving knife would need sorting :? .

The SIP is potentially a good saw, I don't understand how they can ruin it by fitting an odd blade. Makes me think it may be a bit underpowered, power in does not necessarily equal power out.

The reason for the narrow kerf may be to compensate for the lacl of power, CMT do thin kerfs in 250mm so should not be a problem once you add the right bush.

Jason

I've been using Freuds thin kerf 10 inch combo blade-a real sweetie! Love cross and rip cuts in solid wood and a 2.8mm kerf-nice! :wink:
Worth a go for a blade upgrade on any saw, this one.
Philly :D

If I didn't have my Kity already, then I would have bought the SIP Bean saw on Saturday :wink: (after I wiped his drool off of it :lol: :lol: )

Philly":3tkxf9ee said:
I've been using Freuds thin kerf 10 inch combo blade-a real sweetie! Love cross and rip cuts in solid wood and a 2.8mm kerf-nice! :wink:
Worth a go for a blade upgrade on any saw, this one.
Philly :D

Philly

Is the Ex a 5/8 bore rather than a 30mm ?

Are you using a reducing bush or do Freud make them in that size ?

Jeff

Back