Which Table Saw for under £200?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vormulac

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Could do with some advice on table saws. I am outfitting my home workshop, it's not big, and I don't do massive amounts of very heavy-duty cutting, but not having a table saw is causing major problems.
Can anyone recommend one for under £200? Also, are Ferm any good? I see there are a few of models (FZT250, FZT250N and FZT315) available from Screwfix for that sort of money.

Any comments and advice would be very welcome.

Cheers!

There is a set of fairly decent clones, including a Delta and Draper about 200 quid worth having a look at. They have reasonable fences and extension wings.

Hmmm, this is the Delta version and I'm pretty sure I've seen it cheaper. http://www.tooled-up.com/ManProduct.asp?PID=90597

Nice bit of kit for the tight of budget, far better build quality than anything I've seen from Ferm.

Good luck

Martyn

Welcome to the forum.

are Ferm any good?

My father has bought several Ferm tools (from Screwfix) including the site saw (£129) and a mitre saw. I could list the faults with both of them but it'll take to long. As cheap tools go, Ferm are bad, My advice is not to buy a Ferm saw. At least one other forum member will swear by their Ferm biscuit jointer, but the saws even IMO are not good for the money. There's quite a few budget level brands to choose from that in all fairness are reasonable for the money. Some of them will be identical machines but different prices.

happy hunting

Ike

Hi and welcome,

I used to have a Delta 36525 saw - apart from making me jump everytime I turned it on it really was pretty good. The guard was excellent, the table well finished and with the included table extension and 10" blade gave a very decent cutting capacity. You should be able to get it for £200 - a quick look found this link:

http://www.toolpage.co.uk/viewproduct.cfm?ProductID=141&CatID=28 - but I'm sure a local supplier will do it for cheaper.

I don't know much about the Ferm machines but some of their power tools seem good value. I would go for the Delta over the Ferm - you get good support (well I did a good few years ago) and this can be very valuable. Axminster also do a version of the Delta machine:

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id=21657&recno=1

There are a few shows (specifically Tools 2004) on at the minute - would probably be worth going along and checking the machines out yourself.

Cheers

Gidon

I used to have a Draper table saw, now passed to a neighbour who is making good use of it. Main problem for me was the "jump" when it started so I made a soft start module for it which made it less aggressive.

I think all the universal motor (ie non induction motor) table saws below £180 have a simular characteristic so you should check this to see if its a problem for you before buying.

How do you make a soft start device for a tablesaw? My Delta is belt drive and really jumps when first switched on -- and tears belts to pieces quickly once they show any signs of wear.

I have the Delta saw mentioned above, and have been very pleased with it. It is well put together and does everything I ask of it with a nice clean cut.

I have some Ferm power tools, and to be honest you pays your money and takes your chance. Some are OK (circular saw, jigsaw), others not so good (sanders mainly).

Brian,

What Delta model have you got?

Noel

speaking as a Ferm saw owner..... don't make the same mistakes as I did.....

Save up enough to get a good saw, good blades and good dust extraction....even if it means waiting longer than you'd like to... nothin sucks worse than a bad buy.....

Hi Vormulac,
I used to have a Ferm T/S(with induction motor), but IMHO
i would never recommend one, as the fence was rubbish,
the mitre gauge and slot were rubbish, dust extraction rubbish
and the blade guard... rubbish.

Ike,
I don't swear by my Ferm biscuit jointer, it may well
let me down in the future :( , but at the moment, for £15,
it's fulfilling my basic joining needs 100%.

TX

Hi all,

Thanks to everyone for such a plethora of advice!

I see definite patterns emerging here; I'll give Delta a very serious look at, and thanks for that Charnwood link. They look good, it would be interesting to hear from anyone with experience of those machines specifically.

Think I'll steer clear of Ferm (mind you, £15 for a biscuit jointer? Now that is tempting ;) ).

Thanks again!

Thanks for the heads up guys, I would indeed be sending coin in Philly's direction apart from the fact I live in London and I don't think that Record will fit in the MG somehow...

Gutted.

I take your point about 'previously enjoyed' machinery though - definitely favourable if I can find somewhere near enough.

Anyone know of auction houses that handle woodworking kit in London?

Vormulac":1dmm2wow said:
Thanks for the heads up guys, I would indeed be sending coin in Philly's direction apart from the fact I live in London and I don't think that Record will fit in the MG somehow...

Gutted.

I take your point about 'previously enjoyed' machinery though - definitely favourable if I can find somewhere near enough.

Anyone know of auction houses that handle woodworking kit in London?

It's only a luton Taillift drive away? Whats that, about £40-£50 for a day?

I'd be down there like a shot if I was you.

Lots of table saws come up on Ebay, but better still, www.friday-ad.co.uk nearly always has what you need, and quite local too.

Adam

Thanks for that Friday-ad link, never heard of that site before - looks very handy!

Unfortunately I'm very restricted on price, £200 will have to be my upper limit, including getting the saw home - otherwise the girlfriend will try out whatever I buy on me!

Latest posts

Back