Which sub £100 bench drill?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmwatt

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks.

It's time I think I got myself a bench drill but I am working to a limited budget, so I am looking for some advice as to what to go for. Doesn't need to be too big, just using it for making smallish things just now (working on a jewellery box just now), although obviously if it were bigger it might be more useful for other future projects. Also it needs to be reasonably accurate and I know that can be a problem on a budget and ideally be reasonably quiet. Anyway, I've been looking at these and wonder what you guys think:

Ferm bench drill - £60 incl delivery from ebay
-Powerful 350W motor no-load speed 580-2650rpm
-Mains voltage 230V - 50Hz
-Adjustable 5 speed drive
-Height adjustable 160 x 160mm table for precise working
-Transparent safety drill guard
-Spindle travel 50mm
-Max distance to base 255mm
-Max distance to table 170mm
-Spindle to column (throat) 100mm
-Adjustable 5 speed drive
-Chuck capacity 13 mm
-Morse taper No:2 B-16
-Overall height 580mm
-Weight 23kg

Titan SF16N-9 110mm Pillar Drill 230V - £61.86 from Screwfix
-500W Induction Motor
-9-Speed
-Magnetic safety switch
-Transparent chuck guard
-Adjustable depth stop
-16mm Keyed Chuck
-Spindle travel: 50mm
-No load speed: 280-2350rpm
-Table size: 170 x 170mm
-Full height: 620mm
-Weight 21kg

Or I could maybe stretch to get something like the Axminster WD13L Pillar Drill - £85?

Any help appreciated, thanks. :)

I would consider 2nd hand, but most people don't offer delivery which is an issue for me seen as I live in the Highlands. :roll:

Craig,

Whether people will deliver or not doesn't matter, you can arrange for collection using someone like parcelmonkey who charge quite reasonable rates for large heavy items. You will need to ensure that the sender packs the item properly though.

Thanks for the info Mick, if something came up that was suitable I might do that. Anyone got advice on drill features/quality etc?

Hi Craig,

Theres often fobco and meddings bench pillar drills that come up on ebay, gumtree, craigslist etc. IMO you cant go wrong with anything by fobco, meddings, union, startrite etc. With pillar drills, I look for stability, and no movement in the quill....good smooth action, its useful if they have a good distance for spindle travel (how far the drill bit moves down or up when you turn the handle, can help with drilling biogger thngs).

I got a wee 240v fobco star on ebay for under £100, well worth the money, and much better made than anything else for that price...had to collect it though and its heavy!

IMO secand hand english built machines are infinitely more accurate than anything coming out of china (at any price point).

It worth checking gumtree etc for anything local or using a courier or pallet delivery service if you find something really big, thats going cheap, and not local

something like this will probably go for a lot less than £100, and the motor can easily be replaced, or an inverter fitted http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fobco-Bench-D ... 4345724640

good luck!

if you fancy taking a chance...I just seen a fobco drill going for £30 on ebay, its rusty and can probably be cleaned up quite easily with wd40 and some fine wire wool or 400 grit wet and dry paper (take 1/2 an hour) and then put a new motor in it....but it woul be a brilliant drill...i have one just like it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pillar-drill- ... 3a6b5ce417

Thanks for the help dairmaid, I had a look at ebay, gumtree etc for brands you suggested. :)

Most end up going for over £100 without delivery. My other concern is changing a 3 phase motor to a single phase, I wouldn't really have a clue what I'm doing (and I have had a quick look at Bob's guide). :? Would it just be a matter of finding a single phase motor of equivalent power and with the right size of shaft? How easy would that be to find?

Regards.

myturn":2knknwny said:
Craig,

Whether people will deliver or not doesn't matter, you can arrange for collection using someone like parcelmonkey who charge quite reasonable rates for large heavy items. You will need to ensure that the sender packs the item properly though.

do check with the seller 1st that you can arrange a courier as some don't ,its not the same as collection in person they may prefer cash as payment and with most couriers they won't give you a collection time or the seller may not be about daytimes.

not used the axminster drill but i've got several of thier other machines and i'm very pleased.

Single phase versions of drills regularly come up on Ebay. I looked for a couple of months and ended up getting a single phase Fobco for £50 just along the coast from me at Southampton. I knew it would be heavy - and I was right - needed two of us to move it safely. OK, it's a bit scruffy but rock solid, accurate and no play in the quill - I reckon it was £50 well spent.

Misterfish

Latest posts

Back