Which "Stanley" knife? Recommendations please.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
t8hants":2ssjatmy said:
Given up on nearly all box cutter type knives, I like the Paul Sellers folding blade type for nearly everything except perhaps roofing felt.
I use this too. Handy small and dies a proper job.

A Milwaukee Gen 1 has been my companion for the better part of four years of hard work, in that time it's been dropped down four stories, twice, on the same day :oops:, it's been opened and closed thousands of times with no real wear at all and it's all very solid with very minimal play even now after years of use.

I think the gen 1s are harder to find now but there are newer iterations with blade holders etc.

I bought a couple of the Gen 3 ones and really liked them... apart from the blade pulling out the front (on both) when under pressure. Which is a pity as I really liked being able to press the button and flip it open with one hand.

I've settled on the Bessey ones: the pretty one (DBKWH-EU) with the wooden inlays (there's no spare blade capacity) for a pocket knife and the other utilitarian one (DBKPH-EU) which has the same function but with blade storage onboard for doing stuff. Blades stay put, easy to change without any button that will break and it opens and closes solidly and easily:

DBKWH-EU.png

DBKPH-EU.png

Quite fancy the Bessy with the inlays...if I see one here ...?......I'll get 1....

over the years have bought a lot of estate sale tools and machines......
so I have the very old fashioned Stanley with a sloted screw to hold it all together....just so many to hand...at least 10....leave them all over the place so usually can find at least one........

Am I the only one who sharpens the blade on an oil stione....yes I'm a bit mean.....hahaha....

Quite fancy the Bessy with the inlays...if I see one here ...?......I'll get 1....

so I have the very old fashioned Stanley with a sloted screw to hold it all together....just so many to hand...at least 10....leave them all over the place so usually can find at least one........

Am I the only one who sharpens the blade on an oil stione....yes I'm a bit mean.....hahaha....

No. I sharpen the blades on my Stanley knives and my Swann Morton Supatool, even scalpel blades. Why waste good steel.

Nigel.

The knife in my pocket every day for the last two years has been the Bessey with the wooden bits. It replaced a Gen 1 which wasn't locking any longer. That in turn had replaced an Irwin folder which got nicked (the replacement was as sloppy as heck, the original one wasn't, so maybe the tooling was wearing out). The Bessey just feels better than the other two.

The knife in my tool box is a Stanley FatMax retractable - a bit like the Titan it replaced (the slide mechanism broke after circa 15 or so years), only bigger (I have big mitts)

I've recently moved onto using a hooked blade on the multitool for cutting flooring protection, roofing felt, door mats, etc. Still working out what else it can do. Far faster and easier to use than a hooked blade in a knife and a lot less likely to leave you with a punctured knee or upper leg to boot

I've got several knives and the worst ones are the ones with the blade retractor button on top, right where I want to put my thumb for a better grip and manoeuvrability.

I sharpen mine, got into doing that when I helped a carpet fitter chum on odd days bunking off college for cash, he carried a little stone and was constantly sharpening the blades as it was then quicker than opening up the screwed together Stanley knife, when I mentioned it to someone recently they were amazed,,were more throwaway now I think.
Anyway I have several basic Stanley ones, some fixed blade but the best is the large curved Stanley with the big brass wheel you roll with your thumb to lock the blade in our out, fits nicely in your hand and feels solid.

I have a few, they're all broken in some way or another. I've two Stanleys one yellow, possibly a fatmax , that the little plastic blade release button snapped off about a week after I bought it, so now involves tools for a simple blade change and A grey and black one that was dropped from the step ladders and the plastic grip exploded. I was also gifted a Magnusson (B&Q pants) that has about as much grip on the blade as an elderly arthritic eskimo, it really is useless.
So having some quickstep vinyl plank bathroom flooring to fit next week I thought I'd treat myself to a new knife. Quickstep sell their own Stanley ripoff, oh! how a laughed when I saw the price :shock:
and I'll need hooked blades but does anyone have a suggestion for a (probably retractable) Stanley type knife that actually works and may survive more than a week?
TIA
Nev, your question suggests the answer. Call in at your flooring supplier and ask what the fitters use.

Colin

As well as retractable kinives, I have a couple of ancient original Stanley non-retractable knives which are my goto knives. Not a lot to go wrong with them and no issue with the blade retracting when you don’t want it to. Admittedly not the safest to lob in the tool box even though one has a slip on blade cover so mine live on a tool board.

Back