Which "Stanley" knife? Recommendations please.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nev

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a few, they're all broken in some way or another. I've two Stanleys one yellow, possibly a fatmax , that the little plastic blade release button snapped off about a week after I bought it, so now involves tools for a simple blade change and A grey and black one that was dropped from the step ladders and the plastic grip exploded. I was also gifted a Magnusson (B&Q pants) that has about as much grip on the blade as an elderly arthritic eskimo, it really is useless.
So having some quickstep vinyl plank bathroom flooring to fit next week I thought I'd treat myself to a new knife. Quickstep sell their own Stanley ripoff, oh! how a laughed when I saw the price :shock:
and I'll need hooked blades but does anyone have a suggestion for a (probably retractable) Stanley type knife that actually works and may survive more than a week?
TIA

I like the foldey Beasley one personally. I think that Milwaukee do a similar model in Toolstation.

Given up on nearly all box cutter type knives, I like the Paul Sellers folding blade type for nearly everything except perhaps roofing felt.

I have two, one an old blue real Stanley (if I can find where I put it), probably 40 years old. The paint has flaked off most of it, but it works well.

I have a newer, black one - unbranded, much thinner metal, but that also works well.

None of the plastic ones last for me, and those with sliding, snap-off blades have the nasty habit of retracting unexpectedly.

Plus you can resharpen the blades for a proper metal Stanley style.

A Milwaukee Gen 1 has been my companion for the better part of four years of hard work, in that time it's been dropped down four stories, twice, on the same day :oops:, it's been opened and closed thousands of times with no real wear at all and it's all very solid with very minimal play even now after years of use.

It never misses a beat, nothing really to go wrong with it, It's a perfect design which is why I bought a few extras to tide me over until I'm gone :lol:

uyKmpDd.png

I think the gen 1s are harder to find now but there are newer iterations with blade holders etc. I really don't like the push-button slide type of knife as these always without fail wear out and the blade slips back into the holder when cutting stuff, I've never had to do anything to the Milwaukee except put a new blade in it every so often.

I have lost count of the number of Stanley knives I have but the ones I use almost exclusively these days are the Quickslide pocket knives.

I bought the first a number of years ago and then got a second which is very slightly different ( no black slider on top, I think it's the USA version ).
Suit my needs perfectly.

This is the type I first bought https://cpc.farnell.com/stanley/0-10-81 ... gKSEPD_BwE
Second is like this, got if off ebay.https://www.stanleytools.com/products/a ... ife/10-812

Have just spotted a different one while looking for the above and I now want one #-o
https://www.menards.com/main/tools/hand ... 469565.htm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gk692mAcTqs

I've got a stanley titan. Had it about 15 years now and its pretty good. Brass wheel to open the body, storage for plenty of blades and it stays locked out when you want it to. No complaints really. Bit bulky for a pocket but its a good knife.

Stanley 99e are what I use, and I use a stanley every day.They far outlast any others, I normally lose them before they break! Cheap too, don't think they even cost a fiver.

Had to order some stuff from CPC so added one of the Stanley sliders as per Lons suggestion and pleasantly surprised with how robust it is. I may well grab a 199 or a dolphin next time out to hang on the garage wall rather keep than in the tool box - not keen on keeping the fixed blade knife in the toolbox, I just know it will sneak out of its holster at some point.
Did see an extremely cute baby Gerber folding knife but I resisted the temptation :)

Totally on side with Trevanion here.
Milwaukee Fastback 1 (first generation, not the later revisions) has great ergonomics and for me is the best of many Stanley knive that I've tried and owned.

Back