Which Software do you use? Sketchup, AutoCAD or another?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kinsella

Established Member
Reaction score
Colleagues
I'm a weekend DIYer, I've deduced from trial and error that my preferred method of design drawing is using full AutoCAD and Sketchup. I initially trained in AutoCAD so using this is familiar and easy for me. I use full AutoCAD to do simple 2D drawings, for basic cut sheets.

I then convert these to 3D in Sketchup to test the design, proportions or how it looks, followed by some basic materials hatching to see how it will look when finished.

Example.
ATTACH]

Over the years I've looked at some other packages for furniture design, Solidworks, 3D Studio Max, Vectorwork, Rhino 3D. Some more complicated than others.

I only recently seen a copy of AutoCAD Fusion. I did try using AutoCAD, but the 3D functions with the basic package are pretty crude without all the 3D add on software. Anyone using Fusion and if so what do you think?

I'd like to use only one piece of software to do both 2D and 3D drawings, that can also break the 3D down into a component drawing and be able to manipulate it.

I'd be interested to know what DIY'ers or professionals are using for designs?

Attachments

• display cabinet.jpg
    display cabinet.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 5,634
Having used TurboCad and then finding Sketchup, there's no contest. I find Sketchup is the ideal tool for woodworking design especially the materials function. It so mimics the real creation of joints I find it invaluable.

Funny you should post. Im currently installing Solid Works to see if I get on with it.

I also used AutoCAD to do 2D years ago and have since been using pen and paper or sketchup. I don't fully get on with sketchup. I find at time it just don't act as expected but that could be because im used to other 3D programs.

EDIT: Im having loads of problems just trying to install solidworks. If the program is as complicated to use as it is install think ill give up now.

if you have no book or been tutored on Solid works, truthfully, forget it. It is a heavy program and not intuitive unlike SU. As a TurboCad user I found the step up/over to SU quite painless. As I am now on SU8 and through a member here, DaveR I am now trying out Layout to make presentation drawings for clients,

hth,

K

I'm very interested in your verdict on layout, I really need a package that will allow me to present my work professionally however as I work full time I only make half a dozen items in a year, and am not sure that the cost of layout would justify itself. There is no tial version I know of so if you could review it that would be awesome.

Best go to DaveR's site and see the master at work. as I said, I am trying it seriously at last, the end product that I pass on to the client, can be better or in old school script - "can do better" ;)

hrh,

K

houtslager":ewan6zil said:
if you have no book or been tutored on Solid works, truthfully, forget it. It is a heavy program and not intuitive unlike SU. As a TurboCad user I found the step up/over to SU quite painless. As I am now on SU8 and through a member here, DaveR I am now trying out Layout to make presentation drawings for clients,

hth,

K

Which SolidWorks version do you speak about? The reason I want to exploror solidworks is because I have has 3 students in over the past few weeks building there projects as two of them, use solidworks 2012 and say its very easy to use.

I use a mixture of Solidworks which I was taught during my undergraduate degree (2003!) and Sketchup. Sketchup is alright for basic things, but it's horribly limited in others - like when dealing with curved surfaces. Personally I think Solidworks is a dream to use, of the proper packages it's massively easier to use than any other professional products (having battled through Pro/Engineer, Catia and others in the past). I'm quite out of touch these days though as I don't do CAD for a day job. Sketchup is handy for sharing designs around due to it being free, but really it's a toy compared to proper commercial software.

Got SolidWorks working now, turned out I was installing the 32bit which isn't compatible with 64bit systems.

Im struggling but I have nearly got my first design done. I am finding it fairly easy to use one I find the tool I need.

houtslager":2c01atk5 said:
hmmmmmm might have to try the newer version, as the one I tried was 2000 version.

K

It will be worth your while I think. I have the 2011 version and up to yet im very impressed. Just completed my second model and I think the software is far better than any I have used and fairly easy. I have spent a couple hours watching tutorials on youtube and glad I did as the features it boosts are amazing but most I wouldn't have known.

Also its an all in one package. You create your 3D model either from 2D drawings made in other programs or SolidWorks, you can then can create exploded 3D drawings (animated on screen or even exported as a video) and it will also create the 2D engineers drawing for you, labeling parts automatically and creating bin lists etc and it does the final renders

I've been using Sketchup and rendering, when required, in Kerkythea. Works well but am still learning.

Although I love to do 'technical drawing' as it was called at school I have to admit that getting an instant cutting list & faster, better results make me think that a good software is needed. I have many years experience of photoshop & a good grasp of (non code writing) web design software & need something that is acurate & stable.

Could I get some pro's & cons of the software you are using please to help me make up my mind..or should I look for trial versions?

The 1 thing that has really P*&^%$ me off is that I cannot find a price for Solidworks anywhere on the net !..Is there an international code of secrecy that everyone has sworn to ? I do not want to waste my time looking into something if it costs £100's or £1000's ..

Is sketchup a happy medium or a poor 2nd or 3rd

Thanks in advance for your advice.

It depends on what you want to do with the software. Sketchup is very versatile and I can't think of any woodworking project that you couldn't produce with it. There is a Cutlist and rendering addons plus many more.

I used to use autocad and then turbocad and finally got into sketchup for my designs. I have found sketchup so easy to use I wouldn't go back to anything else now.

I completed a degree in 3d visualization software, and I used to use a now-free piece of software called true space 7 for all my designs. That may be worth a look at, it was particularly good for architectural work as its coordinate system was excellent.

Nowadays, however, I just use a pencil and paper, and occasionally a 2D android CAD package called AndCAD. I guess I have regressed, but I'm happy that way :)

Thanks Griffiths, will give it a look, but it seems that most people are using Sketchup and its so simple to use and render, i probably will stick with it. I've found that i've now stopped using AutoCAD and just do all assembly drawings using sketchup.

I'm a great fan of SketchUp but now faced with a bit of a quandary as I want to give a fully dimensioned drawing to someone else (who is not familiar with SU). I'm wondering if I ought to bite the bullet and redraw it using some CAD package. There are around 60-70 pierces in the construction. I've just downloaded a trial of Layout but an initial poke around leaves me not convinced.

I know cutlist will produce a list of dimensioned pieces but it is a bit of an article of faith to rely on it! Much rather have a proper dimensioned drawing.

Latest posts

Back