Which sliding table saws will cross cut an 8' x 4'?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rattie

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm still weighing up table saws to try to build a worshop around. That may seem back to front, but space it slightly tight, so having a saw in mind during the design will help.

I want to be able to cross cut a full sheet on it, using the sliding table, but working out which ones will suffice is a bit tricky. For example Scheppach do a 1.4m and 2.0m slider on the TS2500ci, but say that the travel on the 2m one is 1.4m. So go figure.

So my question is, whose saws have sliding tables that will do what I want?

Cheers

Martyn

Martyn,

Why is a sliding table so necessary? If shop space is at a premium I'd suggest folding extension and outfeed tables and pushing an 8 x 4 width ways isn't a major problem. But keep in mind that I've never used a sliding table, don't need one, and therefore I might be missing the point....

Noel

Martyn...

I don't want this to come out the wrong way... but... are you absolutely sure this is what you wanna do...??? I mean, a set up to handle cross cutting a full size sheet is gonna eat shop space, not to mention be a bear to operate properly and safely...

I canna help thinking that maybe an upright panel saw might be a better option if shop space is tight, and full sheets are a must...

Personally, I use a circular saw to cut full sheets into more manageable sized pieces before dead sizing the pieces on the table saw... it's a palaver.. but i don't have the shop space to do much else...by the time I've laid out a full sheet on the bench, I've just about killed any maneuvering room in the shop...

I would have to agree with midnight rattie not only that but 8 x 4 is a real handful by yourself, i setup roller stands and benches but after doing 1 sheet ended up using circular saw with a straight edge to rough cut then finish sized on the table saw, ohh also if you forget you got a sliding table on your saw as i have done you end up walking into the damn thing then spend the next 5 mins checking you still have both testies then half hour swearing at the saw :oops:

Agreement here also - I set up my workshop to hadle 8x4 sheets and now I almost never cut them directly on the TS. Too much hassle. Safely and accuratley handling an 8x4 is difficult. I now cut down to size using a circular saw and make final cuts on the TS.
The Festool circular saw may be a better way to go - makes very accurate clean cuts apparently.
Workshop space is so valuable - no point wasting it just to cut up big sheets of wood!

Hi Rattie, I agree with midnight - assuming budget isn't a massive issue and you really need to do 8X4's, you can get a vertical wall saw which will do 8X4 and all bits inbetween, then maybe a smaller dimensioning saw for smaller work pieces. The vertical saw sits tight enough against a wall saving space, and more importantly allows a single person to cut 8X4's safely. The saw head moves, not the wood eliminating slips/trips/strains/wobbly cuts etc.
I know this is a non commercial site, and I don't blatently (ish :oops: ) plug our products, but goto

http://www.safetyspeedcut.com/products_saws_c4.htm

The basic Speedcut C4 sells for £1700 ish inc vat, any Jet dealer has details, some have them on display - jet dealers at

www.jet.uk.com

Hope this helps

Best regards to all from Northern Ireland
Nick
Jet

At last, an actual answer to the question. The Electra Bekum PKF255 (like wot I've got :D ) will crosscut an 8x4 sheet. The travel on the sliding table is 1.4metres.
Having answered the question I will now, like the others, say I don't think the above saw or anything similar is the best way to do it. Apart from the sheer weight and bulk, the accuracy of the crosscut will depend on the straightness of the sheet's long edge, which often isn't very straight. Same problem would apply to a vertical or wall saw.
Best way, IMO, is the Festool system which apart from being more accurate will give a much cleaner, smoother edge and with less breakout.
John

Rattie,
Cutting 8 x 4's is quite difficult if you work alone even with a top of the range saw and it gets even more difficult if your space is tight. you have had some good answers, having recently tried festools circular saw set up i must admit to being very impressed, perfect for tight workshops. you could also look at building a panel saw, i built mine from iroko and its permanently attached to my fence outside the workshop. The saw is removeable and can be replaced with a router if required.
There are other alternatives as well Steve Maskery built an overhead support which hinges down then you place your sheet on then cut with a circular saw, a good space saving in a tight space.
Alternativly you could ask your supplier to cut down the sheet if you have a cutting list, its also easier to transport

regards
Ian
DSCF00122.jpg

johnelliott":2ng6w46b said:
The Electra Bekum PKF255 ... will crosscut an 8x4 sheet. The travel on the sliding table is 1.4metres.
That's unusual John: normally a 2.1m sliding rail is needed to crosscut 1.2m sheets. The Sliding table occupies, what, 0.4m - 0.5m, plus clearance for getting it out the other side of the blade.
Are you refering to a 2.0m - 2.1m rail with travel of 1.4m? Or are you talking about the 1.4m total rail length? Can you crosscut 1.2m on the 1.4m EB rail? I'm intrigued!
My Kity 1619 has a 2.1m rail which can handle 1.2m crosscuts, (although I only have it set with 1.0 metre cutting capacity in front of the blade for space reasons.)

Rattie: I know that the 1.4m rail on the Kity doesn't handle 1.2m crosscuts which is why I bought the 2.1m. So just check the max capacity on the TS your looking at as it may vary from one make to the other.

On the Scheppach stc, the 2.00 mtr rail gives you a clearance of 1400mm in front of the blade to allow sheets to be cut, travel of the stc is 2.00

Hi all,

I have the Elektra beckum pkf255 which can cross cut the 8x4 nicely. I do it all the time, however I usually at least cut the sheet in half first. Simple reason, as many have already mentioned, a sheet is too big to handle safely and my workshop wouldn't allow me.

So I have made this jig: https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/view ... hlight=jig
This way I usually cut the sheet in half (more or less depending on the project of course) then use the 4x4 on the table saw. This jig takes no space in the workshop as I can store it in the rafters after use.
Ian's version is an inspiration, but I wouldn't use it enough to justify the cost for it.

I find rough cutting the sheet than using the tablesaw fantastic. I really love cutting the large sheets on the tablesaw. The carriage is 1800mm long (aragorn this may answer your question) so there a very good support for the sheet. Again if you were trying to cut a full sheet I am not sure it would be as easy if not unsafe on your own.

the accuracy of the crosscut will depend on the straightness of the sheet's long edge, which often isn't very straight
This is very true, so I usually cut all 4 sides of any sheet/plank to ensure squareness.

Finally, have a look at the Festool TS55 circular saw with guide rail (with anti-splinter). It is suppose to be amazing the quality of the cut! From the Festool gear I have I don't doubt it a second.

Hope this is helping and not making it more difficult to make a decision :wink:

Aragorn":1o5754le said:
johnelliott":1o5754le said:
The Electra Bekum PKF255 ... will crosscut an 8x4 sheet. The travel on the sliding table is 1.4metres.
That's unusual John: normally a 2.1m sliding rail is needed to crosscut 1.2m sheets. The Sliding table occupies, what, 0.4m - 0.5m, plus clearance for getting it out the other side of the blade.
Are you refering to a 2.0m - 2.1m rail with travel of 1.4m? Or are you talking about the 1.4m total rail length? Can you crosscut 1.2m on the 1.4m EB rail? I'm intrigued!

When I said the travel on the sliding table is 1.4 metres I meant that it actually travels 1.4 metres. The table itself is quite a bit longer than that. Not much mention of the EB PKF255 on this forum which is surprising as it is a really good saw at a great price. CYC has the more expensive scoring version. I was a bit jealous til I bought into the Festool guide rail system and now use that for crosscuts and anything else that might breakout on a table saw
John

Cheers John - thought that's what you meant.
BTW, do you (or anybody) know the cheapest place to buy the Festool saw system and rails??

Aragorn":28l15deg said:
BTW, do you (or anybody) know the cheapest place to buy the Festool saw system and rails??

Good question. Having decided that there wasn't a lot of difference in the various suppliers' prices, I did a deal with my nearest dealer. This was also necessary because I wanted items that weren't in Rutlands etc catalogues ie a 2.7 metre guide rail which is required for 8' sheets, even the extra at each end is barely enough for run on and off. Also I wanted the multi function table. All this stuff can be ordered by any Festool dealer
John

Thanks everyone,

These are exactly the thoughts that I've been having about sheet materials. I have recently bought the Festool saw for precisely this role and I am happy to take the recommendations to keep using that for the gross cuts.

I ripped and cross cut a full sheet of 19mm oak faced MDF with it yesterday and the finish is superb. I guess aiming to do the secondary sizing with a TS really is the best of both worlds - getting a good whack of workshop space back.

Again thanks for the input.

Martyn

Oh, best place I found for the Festool, with 2 x 1.4 guide rails and the clamps was Axminster a couple of weeks ago at least.

Had to order the Saw and single rial pack, then add the extra rail, clamps and a joining bar, if that makes sense. Got it either next day or day after, can't recall, but usual prompt Axminster turn around.

Cheers

Martyn

Hi Aragorn,

I think Protrade (www.protrade.co.uk) is about the cheapest at the moment - £340 inc VAT for the TS55 with a 1400mm guide rail. The same package is £370 in Axminster. Generally it is about the same price everywhere (did someone say price-fixing? :evil: ) so I don't think you'll get it for much less than the Protrade price.

NeilCFD

Hello everyone :D ,

can you tell me if there is any difference in accuracy between using the connector piece with 2 x 1.4m guide rails or the 2.7m guide rail. Also Is the guide rail connector piece easy and quick to connect :?:

cheers

Michel

Re.

can you tell me if there is any difference in accuracy between using the connector piece with 2 x 1.4m guide rails or the 2.7m guide rail. Also Is the guide rail connector piece easy and quick to connect

In case anybody is interested, i have spoken to Festool and they have told me that the connector is quick to connect any there is no loss in accuracy when using two guide rails connected together.

Cheers :D

Michel

Latest posts

Back