Which Shoulder Plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrewm

Established Member
Reaction score
I have decided that I need a shoulder plane of some description and since I am in the fortunate position of having a trip to the States coming up next month thought I might investigate getting one over there. It should be below my personal allowance for bringing back with me.

I have heard a lot of good things said about the Lee Valley / Veritas planes so thought that maybe I would go for one of those, especially as they seem to be quite a bit cheaper on the other side of the pond.

So, if you could choose just one which would it be, large medium or small? Is there anything else that I should take into account?

I am hoping to spend a couple of days in Atlanta and get to visit Highland Hardware, a place that seems to get plenty of mentions on the rec although they don’t seem to sell the Lee Valley / Veritas range. However I am also going to be in New Orleans so might find something there.

What would you do?

Andrew

Andrew,

Depends on the scale of stuff you tend to make. Personally I'd go for the medium first (see where I'm going with this? :wink: ). I always get myself muddled up on this, but I believe the only problem is you'll have to order direct from Lee Valley. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong - like Rob f'rinstance. :roll:

Cheers, Alf

Dunno what HH sell these days but I went to the Olympics in 1996 and somehow ended up spending a day in the place. It was a revelation!

The staff were knowledgeable, helpful and friendly and the stuff they had was beyond belief (mind you, I was nine years more ignorant then!).

Definitely worth a visit I should say.

Hi Andrewm,
As Alf saif it really depends on what you make. I know I'd go for the large first, because I like the wider blade and better grip it offers (BTW, I have the medium and I've used the large quite a bit).
I just wanted to say that in the states, the only real alternative to LV would be either Stanley or LN. The LN medium is an entirely different beast than the LV, IMO there's no comparison, the LV is better all around. The LN 073 is their large shopulder plane, it's the one I have and I like it a lot, but if I had to buy again I'd buy the LV version. They have made some definite improvements on design (set screws, little knobs and a hole for better grip) which make it an easier plane to use. Stanleys can be good planes, but quality isn't as consistent and, when you can find them, they aren't that cheap. You can also find nice Clifton shoulder planes here, but they might not be a good deal for you...
The only place you can buy direct, as far as I know, is in Candada. However, I do know of one retailer in the States that carries some Veritas products, Japan Woodworker, but they're in CA. You might want to email LV and see if there are any in the area you'll be visiting. Otherwise the best alternative, if possible, would be for you to order online and have it sent to an address that you'll be visiting or a place that can keep it for you--a friend's or an acquaintance's house (one that you can trust with a nice shoulder plane :wink: ) or a company office if you're going there to work..
Have a nice trip,
Frank D.

GLOAT ALERT

I have the Large, medium and Bullnose veritas shoulder planes and can only recommend all 3 of them as excellent and outstadning in every way :)

However, if it were only one, then I would go for this order

1 Large shoulder
2 Bullnose
3 Medium shoulder

I guess I should post GLOAT ALERT under my avatar.... I like to mention the tools I use so I don't come off like someone who gives advice because s/he read a magazine article. Sorry if I upset those who have a more modest arsenal in their shop, it's not what tools you have in your shop but what comes out of it is what I always say. I know, I'll just stick it in my signature!
Frank D.

lol Frank - I think Tony's GLOAT ALERT was referring to his own gloat, rather than any in your post!

---- no gloats available at present ----

Just to be different...

My LN #73 is definately a "go to" tool... if I need it done right, first time, every time... this is a tool I can count on...

I have the LN 73 and it's a great tool......even though there's usually blood everywhere by the time I've had it out for 5 mins! - keep nicking my hands on the corners of the blade :roll:

I'm thinking about getting a Veritas Bullnose too though. Like the look of it and have just had a good look at Alf's review

Espedair Street":1jaf97uw said:
lol Frank - I think Tony's GLOAT ALERT was referring to his own gloat, rather than any in your post!
I know Espedair, but I figured if Tony gave an alert for three planes, I must have broken gloat etiquette quite early in my post.
BTW Scott I have the bullnose too and love it. hehe... :lol:
Frank

Thanks all,

Since this is mainly to be used for building large pieces of furniture then maybe a large would be the best option. I hadn't realise that Lee Valley was only mail order, I'm sure I saw someone advertising them in FW but must check. Ordering ahead shouldn't be a problem provided they don't mind charging a UK credit card and delivering to a US address.

What does ALF mean when she says " Personally I'd go for the medium first" :lol:

Sounds like HH is a place to visit though, provided I have enough time. Just have to remember the luggage and duty-free allowances while there.

Andrew

What does ALF mean when she says " Personally I'd go for the medium first"

The meaning is self evident. She would seek John Edwards' advice on this important matter...

BugBear

andrewm":37ytcki9 said:
Sounds like (Highland Hardware) is a place to visit though, provided I have enough time. Just have to remember the luggage and duty-free allowances while there.

Andrew

I'm spoiled, and jaded, since I happen to live within about 30 minutes drive from the place. And yes, it's so, so nice. Well worth an hour or so if you're anywhere near Atlanta, Georgia, USA.

MikeC":2b4cmmlw said:
andrewm":2b4cmmlw said:
Sounds like (Highland Hardware) is a place to visit though, provided I have enough time. Just have to remember the luggage and duty-free allowances while there.

Andrew

I'm spoiled, and jaded, since I happen to live within about 30 minutes drive from the place. And yes, it's so, so nice. Well worth an hour or so if you're anywhere near Atlanta, Georgia, USA.

Well last year a friend of mine was visiting Atlanta and I asked him to call into Highland Hardware to pick up a couple of things for me. He is not into woodwork, not into tools, but came back full of how wonderful the shop was. All of the staff were helpful and the stock was interesting. 8) :D

In fact he got into trouble for spending quite a time 'just looking' from his SWMBO :shock:

Latest posts

Back