Which Scroll Saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Hegner Doddy and I are getting are £745 each plus the foot switch, we robbed the bank together. Seriously. Its what you want out of a machine, if you are only going to use it now and again then fine, get a chiwanese import, it will do what you want to do, in a fashion, if you can put up with poor blade clamps that are time consuming to use and then the blade keeps coming out. Then there is the problem if you go over half speed how do you stop the vibration and it goes on and on.

I use my saws to earn a living. Everything I make has to be perfect because i am selling what I make. I want a quick blade change system, I want my saw to be free of vibration. I want to be able to make jig saws where the pieces slide out both ways and not just one way. Everything I want from a scroll saw is to be found in the Hegner and over a short period of time it will pay for itself. On top of that I have peace of mind that it is probably never going to let me down despite using it for many hours during the course of a days work and six days a week.

Hi,
I'm sorry that I don't agree that "price is right", I have a Hegner "lookalike" some five years or so of ownership and have no complaints (and seen none on the forums) - I've used a Hegner (for a day at a display). My opinion is that my "lookalike" is equal to the original. Also my Ford Focus (car) will get me to where I want to go and, whilst I might like to afford a Rolls, I arrive quite comfortably in my Ford.

With the Excalibur, a rhyme we used to say to the children I reckon is apt -
There was a little girl
Who had a little curl
Right in the middle of her forehead
When she was good
She was very very good
When she was bad
She was horrid.

Bob H.

May upset some of you fine chaps but the reason i came on is i just purchased a scroll saw - Hegner 2S variable speed got it for the princely sum of £100 . Looks brand new and unused although instruction manuals have a 1997 date ,chap i got it from had bought it for £140 from the chap who bought originally both supposedly never used it . Has plastic bag unopened containing vac pipe assembly and another bag has 2 clamps a spanner and an allen key a couple of screws and a circular plate . Machine operates ok and variable speed works but i understand upper and lower clamps should be present on machine .these appear to be missing . Am i ok with just the spare set in plastic bag or do i need to order another pair (Must be a reason for including spares) also have a red wallet with a multitude of blades . I also got a price list from 1997 when i assume this machine was originally purchased . boy have prices shot up .

Jealous is all I can say.

"but i understand upper and lower clamps should be present on machine"
Blade clamps I imagine you are referring to? If so, yes they are pretty important, use the spares, maybe they aren't spares but the originals just in a bag! Plenty of post on this forum about quick release top clamp. There is a website where you can download a Hegner manual, if you don't have one - Google Hegner manual (I think the site belongs to Advanced Machinery).

Good luck (although you don't seem to need much more!).
Bob H.

I think blade clamps are supposed spares as they are still in a sealed stapled plastic bag - sure i read somewhere that you are supplied with spares but that the machine comes with blade clamps in place also - These alas are missing . Will get some spares anyway along with some more blades - was considering the blades from USA on ebay 6 dz Flying Dutchman reverse cut for approx £13 + just under £4 p&p has anyone had any experience of these blades and sellers or experienced any probs with the import aspect ? Could be problematic if customs demands £20 in tax etc.The blades are reccomended elsewhere on the net , what type of blades are advisable to have in my collection bearing in mind unsure at the moment what usage i will give the recent arrival Hegner .Got a Hegner operator manual with saw along with various other spares and add ons .

dickybirdclocks":3eonedr9 said:
Will get some spares anyway along with some more blades - was considering the blades from USA on ebay 6 dz Flying Dutchman reverse cut for approx £13 + just under £4 p&p has anyone had any experience of these blades and sellers or experienced any probs with the import aspect ?.

this seller is Mikes Workshop, he visits us here from time to time and i buy my Flying Dutchmen blades through him, excellent blades and no imort problems. Visit his site also: http://www.mikesworkshop.com/blades.htm

artanddecco":j476xzog said:
I can understand that perhaps a more expensive machine has a better system of securing the blade in the lower clamp for easier access, but this will not affect the factor of straight cutting, just curious, have always wondered why people rave about more expensive machines.
John

All saws cut on a bias because the blades have a natural bias due to the way they are produced. You have to learn to compensate. However, if the saw has a lot of vibration and the arms are not perfectly in alignment it will make it more difficult to compensate.

More expensive machines are likely to have a better build quality. These are some of the features I would want to find, in order to justify paying extra:

1) Durability - the machine can be used continuously day after day, as a trade machine should
2) Low vibration - heavy build with thick, solid tables, preferably in cast iron rather than aluminium
3) Dead flat table
4) Well calibrated and precisely controlled tilt mechanism
5) Availability of spares and servicing
6) Powerful, smooth motor which will aid control when you cut. Pay attention to the motor specs when comparing saws as well as the rest of it.

Sometimes the difference between a cheap saw and an expensive one may be mostly in the amount of punishment it can take, not in the quality of work you can produce with it. Like many power tools, the cheap ones can be fine for occasional work, not so good if you need to use them every day or for long periods at a time.

"1) Durability - the machine can be used continuously day after day, as a trade machine should"

I didn't buy a scroll saw as a "trade" machine, I wonder how many people have? Mine is for a hobby. How would the warranty view that (trade)?
Bob H.

Hi. I have one of the SIP scroll saws. It works perfectly fine for me. it cost me £70 pound from cpc and has lasted me about 2 years so far. It cuts straight lines very well I have used it for alot of compound work without any problems. The only problems I have ever had with it was with the blades but now i have some olson and some flying dutchman blades all is good.

hawkinob":2b9puywd said:
"1) Durability - the machine can be used continuously day after day, as a trade machine should"

I didn't buy a scroll saw as a "trade" machine, I wonder how many people have? Mine is for a hobby. How would the warranty view that (trade)?
Bob H.

Mine was bought for a hobby too. But if your hobby is something you do for hours at a time, or day after day, as you might if it was your trade, then you need a more rugged build quality than if you only use the tool occasionally when you have the need or feel the urge.

I don't know of any warranty issue around a decription like "trade" or "hobby" although Axminster does rate the equipment they sale as "trade" or "hobby".

Hi all,
Im a newbie to scroll saw and to the forum and have found this thread particularly useful. I bought as a tester an SIP scrollsaw ( I didnt know any better) and found the saw to be OK except for the blade change. You have to insert the end pece into a plastic tool and then tighten it and do the same for the other end, which is ok unless you have threaded your blade into a piece of wood. Extremely difficult and time consuming. So here it is : I have about £200.00 to spend on another saw. I really need a quick change system as the scroll saw is used only for in wood cutting. I dont mind buying off ebay but I need a name of a machine. Hope I didnt go on too much and look forward to a reply.
Cheers
Dave

daibeer":2hyoidtr said:
Hi all,
Im a newbie to scroll saw and to the forum and have found this thread particularly useful. I bought as a tester an SIP scrollsaw ( I didnt know any better) and found the saw to be OK except for the blade change. You have to insert the end pece into a plastic tool and then tighten it and do the same for the other end, which is ok unless you have threaded your blade into a piece of wood. Extremely difficult and time consuming. So here it is : I have about £200.00 to spend on another saw. I really need a quick change system as the scroll saw is used only for in wood cutting. I dont mind buying off ebay but I need a name of a machine. Hope I didnt go on too much and look forward to a reply.
Cheers
Dave

Hi

I have a mint condition Hegner for sale

click on the link below

for-sale-hegner-multicut-1-t60198.html

Hegner ARE the best saws on the market :mrgreen:

Hi Blister
Sorry if this has been posted twice. I would love to buy it if thats OK with you. How do you want paying, Paypal - Cheque?
Cheers
Dave

Sorry to revive an old post, but...

:? :? :?

I'm in the market for a new scroll saw I currently have an old Rexon ss16-A which appears all but useless. I don't know whether to go for the Hegner 1 or 2, or indeed the Axminster AWFS18. There is a substantial cost difference between the 2 Hegners and I wonder whether the cost difference for me would be justified, as I am a newbie and want to see if scrolling is something I can get into.
The AWFS18 looks like it would do everything I would need it to and at a price of the Hegner1 but the same facilities and more of the Hegner2.
For me quick blade changing is very important, I don't know if any of these machine are quick on the blade changing. How long does it take to change a blade on a typical machine as I intend to do a lot of internal scrolling.

Appreciate your thoughts on this matter and as I said sorry to revive an old post.

Tony

Lodds":3pg1nmpp said:
Sorry to revive an old post, but...

:? :? :?

I'm in the market for a new scroll saw I currently have an old Rexon ss16-A which appears all but useless. I don't know whether to go for the Hegner 1 or 2, or indeed the Axminster AWFS18. There is a substantial cost difference between the 2 Hegners and I wonder whether the cost difference for me would be justified, as I am a newbie and want to see if scrolling is something I can get into.
The AWFS18 looks like it would do everything I would need it to and at a price of the Hegner1 but the same facilities and more of the Hegner2.
For me quick blade changing is very important, I don't know if any of these machine are quick on the blade changing. How long does it take to change a blade on a typical machine as I intend to do a lot of internal scrolling.

Appreciate your thoughts on this matter and as I said sorry to revive an old post.

Tony

Tony

this is a Axminster AWFS18 used at a good price http://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/show/ ... llsaw.html

and one on ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Axminster-AWS ... 416725f8a1

Back