Which Scroll Saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Tony,
I don't have the Axminster AWFS18 but one that is sold here in OZ and like the AWFS18 looks to be an Hegner clone. I have used both the Hegner and of course my own and, in my opinion (I don't claim to a scrollsaw expert!!!!) it is hard to tell the difference using them. Plenty of comments on both the original and the clone on this and other wood forums.
I did buy the Hegner "quick release clamp", not cheap but worth it - it is "tool less" in operation, I imagine that is why it is called "quick release".
Good luck.
Bob H.

brianhabby":1eitwx87 said:
stevebuk":1eitwx87 said:
should you need any of the quick clamps i have a pair i can sell as i sent back my AWFS18..

Mmmm - Interesting, can I ask why you sent it back please?

regards

Brian

hi Brian
i just couldn't get on with it at all, even with the quick blades clamp fitted its not quick to change the blade, and especially the bottom clamp is a complete PITA, it just falls out due to lack of being held by anything substantial unlike the hegner . I also didn't like the plastic screw fitting from the air pipe that tightened into a brass fitting that was hidden behind the on/off switch which you had to remove in order to get the spanner to fit on.
i dont want to pull down the saw as it cut really nice, not too much thought went into the build i dont think and the table is a little small i fear, i am pleased i got my delta back working ( or rather a mate did) as i think it knocks socks off the axminster.

just my opinion..

wsmith0896":35y1clyz said:
I have an Excalibur 30 and it is the best saw I have ever purchased. Yes the upfront cost is huge but in the end you will not find a better saw. Easy and simple balde changing, the head tilts instead of the table, and it is very heavy so the vibration is very little if any at all.

You may be lucky to have a USA built saw

In the UK we get low quality made in China / Taiwan copy

Hegner have got an offer on at moment 20% off their range, the base model is list price 390 so you would save just under 80 making the price around 315 -320 which is a good price and free delivery

Mark

Latest posts

Back