Which screws do you use?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do a lot of general carpentry and use plenty of screws for this work. I looked into better and better screwdriver bits for a while but found that they don't last relatively longer the more you pay (if you see what I mean).
I use mostly pozi no.2s and I buy the bits in pack of 10 and just chuck them when they are worn. They're so cheap it doesn't seem worth paying twice as much for a bit that lasts only 50% longer.

Aragorn, what kind of no-name bits do you use? I followed this route and bought some cheapo ones, but my impact driver chews them after two or three screws at most. I'd like to find a cost-effective replacement for the Wiha gold/diamond (never noticed any diff between the two, apart from price, but both last for ages, like '000s of screws at a guess) bits from Sfix.

Jake [/code]

Regardless of screw type, I always dip the screw in petroleum jelly (vaseline) before driving them.
They go in easier & it allows for easier removal should you ever take them out.
I've been doing this for over 35 years & never had any trouble.

Hi Jake
I don't know! I get them from my local hardware store and they are loose in a tray. I have never found out what they are. I would say I also get through several 100 screws per bit, so there must be a huge variety of bit-quality out there!
I'll try to remember to ask next time I'm in where they come from.

Sorry - not much help today :oops:

Back