Which Saws?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt1245

Established Member
Reaction score
Finally got fed up of messing with hard point saws, and am wanting to get myself a proper tenon and dovetail saw. Can't decide whether to go for Footprints Or Spear and jacksons tho, what would you suggest? Have any of you had experince of these saws.

Cheers.

Matt.

Matt, Tony'll be along at some point to tell you about the Footprint - he has one he likes very much, IIRC. Ooo, wait, we can save him some repitition :) My old man has a Footprint handsaw and it doesn't seem too bad; not on a par with an old saw to my eye, but not bad. S & J I have zero idea about in these modern times, my most recent is probably c.1950-60 :roll: , but I think Footprint may be a better bet as not having such a well-known name to take up the slack for a bad product - if you see what I mean. Dunno if you've considered Roberts & Lee as well? To be honest none of them grab me much. I thank my lucky stars I actually like rescuing old saws; buying new is an expensive business, and what you get for the money isn't wildly pleasing to either hand or eye, IMO. I have great sympathy for the new saw buyer who doesn't want to spend £100 and more. :(

Cheers, Alf

MikeW":fymkoj25 said:
You could always ask the previous giver of old tool advice to part with some of hers...

Mike
...a duckin' and a runnin'...

Didn't Alf say that she had too many and needed to get rid of some . . . to help someone else begin their journey down the slope?

Well Matt, my advice would always be to stear you to a vintage saw. But that's not what you asked.

If you wish to purchase a new saw, get any of them that are not hardpoint saws of the best quality you wish to pay for. Learn to sharpen, what amount of set you really need (not much) and tune it up. Including reshaping the handle or even making a new handle altogether.

Mike

Back