Which saw for 7inch skirting

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scoobs72

Reaction score
Hi all, got some 7inch skirting to cut with all the usual internal and external angles. But having never done this before I'm unsure as to exactly which saw to use (i.e. buy). Would a 255mm compound mitre saw (non-slider) manage this (using some method such as putting some mdf under the skirting to raise it up to catch more of the blade width), or is a sliding CMS the only real option.

Thanks

I don't think so. The average 10in/250mm chop saw will do a 4 x 3in (100 x 70mm) piece of timber straight or up to about 6 x 1in (150 x 25mm) if you raise the material by inserting a 2in (50mm) sub-bed but that's about all. If you do tilt the work it would need to be tilted up towards at the front edge, but even then I can't see you getting more than 6-1/2in (165mm).

Scrit

I've done 7" skirting on my DeWalt 703 (10" non-slider). It has a max crosscut of 162mm, I trimmed the last little bit (where the blade wouldn't reach) with a block plane.

Cheers

Karl

Actually a 12in chop saw (non slider) would probably do the job. Makita also do an 8-1/4in SCMS (LS0714) which will cut 8in on the flat and the cheapest big name machine to be able to do the job is probably the deWalt DW707 which cuts 11in on the flat. I've used the Elu predecessor (PS274 was it?) for 9 to 10in skirtings so you don't need a DW718 monster at all (in any case they won't cut a 7in skirting vertically) - only downside is they're (DW707s, that is) not quite big enough for some of the fancy cornice mouldings used in kitchens these days

Scrit

Scrit":1gqf143u said:
only downside is they're not quite big enough for some of the fancy cornice mouldings used in kitchens these days

Scrit

That was the deciding factor in my purchase of the DW703 - good crosscut (for 6 x 2 decking joists) and good depth of cut (for cornice work).

Cheers

Karl

Back