which Router

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Echo-Star

Established Member
Reaction score
Good evening all

I'm looking to treat myself to a new 1/2" router, I now have power in my WS, so no more working from extension cables. I'm looking to mount the router "dedicated into my R/table" and possibly a router lift for easier set up.

Any recomendations or views on this would be appreciated.

Thank you

Rob

Hi Rob

Just to clarify, you're looking for a router that will be dedicated to the router table - i.e. installed there and used only for that purpose?

If that's the case, I would look at something like this:

INCRA Mast-R-Lift II (Metric) with AUKTools 2400W Fixed Base Router Remote Speed Control and NVR

Powerful fixed base router motor installed in a top-of-the-line router lift with NVR switch. It's not a cheap package though.

What's the budget? Give us an idea of what you want to spend and people can tailor advice accordingly.

BTW, do you have a fence system already or do you have something specific in mind?

James

You will want a minimum of a good 2 - 2.5 hp motor, and a router which permits above table bit changes.

If you are wanting to keep costs down, I put together a high quality router table (in a table saw) with a second-hand Elu 177e, MuscleChuck, and Router Raizer. I built the fence as well.

Article on my website: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Powered Tools and Machinery/RouterTableAdventure.html

Regards from Perth

Derek

I had a Triton in a router table, it was OK but not great. I "upgraded" to a motor in a lift from Rutlands which has a crank handle to raise and lower it far superior.
They are similar to the AUK ones that woodworkers workshop sell but much cheaper
. I suspect the AUK ones have better quality control and maybe a different spec.
The Rutlands one is not perfect by any means but it cost less than a big router and comes with the plate and adjuster and everything, it is certainly better in a table.
You can probably get one even cheaper on Ali express if you can wait.

Ollie

There are only a few examples of power tools where I don’t choose makita over all others. I do have a makita 1/4 inch router but the 1/2 inch I like best is the Dewalt 625. I use it mostly by hand as I don’t use the router table that much as I prefer using the spindle moulder for this type of work. But I have never had a problem with it - adjustment or replacing the bits wise - when it has been hanging upside down. This Dewalt is a great machine that I have had for about 15-20 years during which time it has been worked heavily. Its been dropped and left outside overnight: probably an embarrassing amount of times. It is a very hardy machine and kitchen fitters love them so they are always being bought and sold second hand if you are on a budget. My competitor joinery up the road has a DW 625 mounted into a router table with an aftermarket lift that he swears by.

Last edited:
Hi Bojum

Yes, router to be dedicated to the table, as I have others at hand to use. Budget would be around the £300 for router only, with the lift to be added later. Yes I already have the table and fence, It's been sitting in my spare bedroom for the last year, I just hadn't got round to mounting a tool under it, And not having power in the WS till now, so I was in no rush, as I still use my fathers table top from way back.

That Is a lovely bit of kit that your link took me to, though a big lump of cash to lay out in one go, having said that, my R/table was £k

I will keep your recomendation in mind.

Rob
Hi Rob

Just to clarify, you're looking for a router that will be dedicated to the router table - i.e. installed there and used only for that purpose?

If that's the case, I would look at something like this:

INCRA Mast-R-Lift II (Metric) with AUKTools 2400W Fixed Base Router Remote Speed Control and NVR

Powerful fixed base router motor installed in a top-of-the-line router lift with NVR switch. It's not a cheap package though.

What's the budget? Give us an idea of what you want to spend and people can tailor advice accordingly.

BTW, do you have a fence system already or do you have something specific in mind?

James
You will want a minimum of a good 2 - 2.5 hp motor, and a router which permits above table bit changes.

If you are wanting to keep costs down, I put together a high quality router table (in a table saw) with a second-hand Elu 177e, MuscleChuck, and Router Raizer. I built the fence as well.

Article on my website: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Powered Tools and Machinery/RouterTableAdventure.html

Regards from Perth

Derek
There are only a few examples of power tools where I don’t choose makita over all others. I do have a makita 1/4 inch router but the 1/2 inch I like best is the Dewalt 625. I use it mostly by hand as I don’t use the router table that much as I prefer using the spindle moulder for this type of work. But I have never had a problem with it - adjustment or replacing the bits wise - when it has been hanging upside down. This Dewalt is a great machine that I have had for about 15-20 years during which time it has been worked heavily. Its been dropped and left outside overnight: probably an embarrassing amount of times. It is a very hardy machine and kitchen fitters love them so they are always being bought and sold second hand if you are on a budget.
Hi Derek, DBC

I have the 2.5hp 1/2" Makita not sure of model of hand, a brute of a tool and think it is great, however it can only be fixed under the table, or so I believe, and I've been looking to fit a lift also. I also have a DeWalt 1/4" palm router for light duty work around the bench and a Bosch 1/4" of my fathers thats under a bench top table that I''ve been using. Only now thinking about bringing my new router table down to the WS, now I have power. I got It from Rutlands about a year back, and it also has the sliding mitre fence, so looking forward to using It. I'm waiting on the spark getting back to connect up my 415v, as I took Spectric and Deema's advice and got myself a digital phase convertor.

Thanks for your imput folks

Rob

Regards from Perth

Derek
Hi Derek

I must say that you made a cracking job of your router table, you must be well pleased with the result.

Nice one

Rob

Good evening all

I'm still toying with which router&lift system to go for. The nice folk who replied to my request on the forum have pointed me in the right direction, and I'd like to thank you all for your help on subject. I have been looking at the Rutland's Electronic Accuracy lift system that has a certain appeal to it, and looks the way forword. However, the few reviews that I have seen on this product "as there are not many" casts a shadow over the quality of Its component parts. I'm now leaning to the Jessem/Incra Mast-R-Lift II that has been praised by you good people, My Q to you would be, could such an electronic system be incorporated into the jessem/incra combo in the future ?

regards

Rob

I have been using the Triton router (TRA001) for years now and it has been really good.

Quite cheap IIRC. About 350 but they're probably cheaper by now.

Good evening all

I'm still toying with which router&lift system to go for. The nice folk who replied to my request on the forum have pointed me in the right direction, and I'd like to thank you all for your help on subject. I have been looking at the Rutland's Electronic Accuracy lift system that has a certain appeal to it, and looks the way forword. However, the few reviews that I have seen on this product "as there are not many" casts a shadow over the quality of Its component parts. I'm now leaning to the Jessem/Incra Mast-R-Lift II that has been praised by you good people, My Q to you would be, could such an electronic system be incorporated into the jessem/incra combo in the future ?

regards

Rob
I wouldn't pay the extra for the electronic lift system.
The normal crank handle is geared pretty low so is very precise.
Save the money and buy a nice digital height gauge which can just live next to the table or in a drawer.

It looks like the electronic bit is a stepper motor in place of the crank handle with some kind of basic controller. This could almost certainly be added if you really wanted to but if you want to get fully electronic I would use a z stage from a cnc and a vfd controlled spindle.
However, in normal use I wonder if its really worth it, you would need to zero the Z upon bit changes anyway and while it could be nice is not something necessary or even a time saver.
Mostly I just change the bit, set the height guage where I want it and wind it up till its right. Takes a minute or so.

Ps. The incra fence is very nice, had mine for ages in 3 different router tables.

Ollie

Last edited:
I wouldn't pay the extra for the electronic lift system.
The normal crank handle is geared pretty low so is very precise.
Save the money and buy a nice digital height gauge which can just live next to the table or in a drawer.

It looks like the electronic bit is a stepper motor in place of the crank handle with some kind of basic controller. This could almost certainly be added if you really wanted to but if you want to get fully electronic I would use a z stage from a cnc and a vfd controlled spindle.
However, in normal use I wonder if its really worth it, you would need to zero the Z upon bit changes anyway and while it could be nice is not something necessary or even a time saver.
Mostly I just change the bit, set the height guage where I want it and wind it up till its right. Takes a minute or so.

Ps. The incra fence is very nice, had mine for ages in 3 different router tables.

Ollie
I've got one of these and it is excellent quality and very versatile

iGaging Snap Check Plus Digital Height and Depth Gauge | Wood Workers Workshop

I have had the Fixed Base Router Remote Speed Control and NVR on Pre Order for about 4 weeks now, told today that their shipment is in China which has entered strict lockdown and restricting exports with no estimate as to when the shipment will be released ..

Back