Which router with Littlerat or Woodrat? And Laser?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

After reading the many glowing reviews about the Woodrat, I'm thinking of getting a Littlerat (cheaper). BTW- I started by looking at a Leigh or Akeda jig; then read about the versatility of a Rat. ;)

Dewalt 625 seems to be the one to get if you want to use all the accessories without modifications. But recent FWW Tools Annual issue recommended a Bosch or Porter Cable. And the Triton is always highly recommended but costly. John Lucas likes the Hitachi...So many choices. But according to thecraftsmangallery.com (U.S. Woodrat dealer, I live in Louisiana) the Dewalt 625 would be most compatible with a Rat.

Also, anyone use the laser or digital caliper from craftsmangallery? Worth it?

Thanks, Peter :D

http://www.thecraftsmangallery.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?page=W/PROD/30-170

laser-guide-inuse.jpg

http://www.thecraftsmangallery.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?page=W/PROD/30-150

Caliper3.jpg

Is this a good deal for this Littlerat package:
Craftsman Gallery LR1 Package Deal $560.00
vs. $500 for Littlerat alone

http://www.thecraftsmangallery.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?page=W/PROD/M/11-111

"Save money by purchasing a package that includes the LittleRat LR1 machine, new aluminum guide rails and our most popular Craftsman Gallery accessories. Includes 10-111 LittleRat, 32-125 Precision Stop, 30-150 Caliper Kit, 32-135 Gauge Bar Set, 30-300 Mounting Kit, 30-400 Bristle Brush and 32-930 Demonstration DVD."

cg_lr1_pkg_deal.gif

From craftsmangallery website: "The DeWalt 625 router fits the the WoodRat perfectly. This router has long been the industry standard in heavy duty plunge routers. It is solidly made, 3-HP, soft start and variable speed. It has a smooth plunging action that works well with our PlungeBar A. WoodRat router plates are predrilled for this router and the router's controls are conveniently located for WoodRat operation. "

$265 with Rat Plungebar

http://www.thecraftsmangallery.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?page=W/PROD/M/13-625

625.jpg

Hi Peter

Welcome to UK Workshop. I'm sorry that I can't help you on the 'rat front, but I'm sure that someone will be along soon to help as a lot of ratters are members.

As this is primarily a UK site I doubt that we'll be able to tell you whether it's a good deal or not.

Cheers
Neil

The Triton is not supported on the RAT. For the little RAT you have to modify the base. The plunge bar does not work at all.

The DW 625 is a good router for the rat, especially when equipped with the PC Eliminator chuck which makes bit changing a thousand times easier. Don't buy the Xtreme Xtension for this use - it limits the range of stuff you can work on because it extends the bit too much.

I am out of touch on Rat prices so will leave someone else to advise on that aspect.

Welcome to the forum, Peter.

Well $500 for the Little 'Rat alone.
Another $60 for all those handy goodies?
Assuming you couldn't get the goodies for less than $60, seems a no-brainer to me. :D Aldel has reviewed most (all?) of the Craftsman Gallery add-ons on his site, and he knows what makes a useful 'Rat accessory if anyone does.

Cheers, Alf

Peter, I have one of Lewis' lasers on my DW625 and I find it handy at times. I also use it on my ornamental mill.

I think the prices you see on the Craftsman Gallery website are fair. The packages are certainly attractive. Customer service there is about the best I've ever come across.

Although the Little Rat is less expensive, you might want to think hard about getting the big brother instead. It has more capacity and a bit more flexibilty in dovetails as well as other operations.

Maybe your needs won't dictate that but just give it some additional thought.

BTW, I almost bought the Leigh D4--I was at the feed-the-money-into-the-slot point on the Lee Valley site when I decided to llok at the Rat again. Glad I made the choice I did.

Dave

Back