Which router ... quick please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dave,

I'm sorry to add to your list but I would strongly recommend you look at the Makita 3612C (NOT the 3612 which doesn't have the variable speed)

It is just under £200 in B&Q's current 20% off sale (without a case mind you...) or you can get it from dm-tools with a case AND a Makita trimmer for £249, which I think is a great deal (although I'm a bit mad about it having paid £220 just for the 3612C a few months ago :x )

http://www.dm-tools.co.uk/store/weeklys ... MAK3612CAV

It is a great router for heavy-duty handheld use, as well as an excellent table router.

Out of the three you've highlighted, the PC obviously stands out, although it looks very heavy for hand-held use, and it is also very expensive. Have you seen the review here: https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/review/review.php?id=30?

The Triton seems to be a bit odd to me - apparently it is a nice table router but I'm not so sure about it hand-held. And as for the T9 - I will probably get shot down for saying this, but I have heard that the build quality feels a bit cheap and that it is overpriced - I would get the Makita over it any day.

Have a look at these threads too:

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/view ... 95&start=0
https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/view ... ight=3612c

NeilCFD

Don't know if it helps any but I went for the PC and haven't regreted it once. Superb, quiet (for a router) machine with bags of power.

Cheers

Tony

if it's going in a table, I'd go for the triton for its massive plunge depth, and through the base cutter changing.

davejester":572kmx2h said:
If money was no issue which would you get: PC7539 / Triton / Trend T9

I would add the DW626 (269) and the DW625EK (229) inc fha. to your list. The 626 is a beast and would be just the job in a table. The consensus of opinion on the SFX site is that the Trend T9 is not up to trade use but the DW's are.

I've got the Trend and I am very pleased with it. But, of course, it is not getting used day in/day out.

In terms of price look at my web site list https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=960&start=0

That'll keep you busy. Personally, for starters I would try DM, Toolshopdirect, Xpress, ITS and The Saw Centre.

Cheers
Neil

Howdy fellas....

I'd have to agree with Neil about the DeWalts, probably one of their better products. I have the 621 which is great for hand held work, but I've been looking at the CMT the last couple of weeks for some reason, must just the the time in my life to move on upto a 1/2 router!?! The CMT is the same as the bigger DeWalts just in another loud colour:

http://www.axminster.co.uk/default.asp?part=cmt1850

Axminster have it on special at the moment for £199.

SimonA

Hi Simon

SimonA":3pt84pc6 said:
Howdy fellas....The CMT is the same as the bigger DeWalts just in another loud colour:

I always thought that the CMT and the Trend T9 were the same. But it is Friday.

Cheers
Neil

I'll third Neil, my Dewalt DW626 isfantastic and looks like it will last forever.

given that money IS an object.... I'll stick with my choice of Freud FT2000E... loadsa bang for yer buck, built like the proberbial brick chithouse too... hard on the ear but surprisingly easy on the arms. 2 years on and I'm still in love with this tool; perfect in the table too.

Me too Mike, Freud FT2000. For the money, canny beat it. Ain't no louder than stuff twice the dough.

Rgds

Noel

Hi Dave

I nearly forgot the other reason I would go with the DW625EK, particularly as you mentioned table use, is plunge depth.

Plunge Stroke/Movement

80 mm DW625EK

75mm PC7539

75mm Trend T9

70 mm DW626

70 mm Freud FT200E

68mm Triton

64mm CMT 1850

60mm Makita 3612CX

In this instance I think size does matter. :roll:

Cheers
Neil

Hi Dave
I use Trend's ½" router cutters for worktops and I don't get through 1 cutter per worktop!! They last a bit longer than that.
Also consider the solid carbide spiral cutter (Trend). Costs a lot but will last a long time, and also gives exceptionally clean cuts.

I wouldn't completely write off Rutlands. I haven't had any trouble with them and they do stock products that are hard to find elsewhere.

Cheers
Aragorn

davejester":3jammgzy said:
I was a bit wary about the PC because Rutlands appears to be the only place to get it from.
I know, too late, but fwiw sometimes it pays to look at the banner ads on this site... (not the Xpress Construction one, the other one) :wink:

Cheers, Alf

When considering a router the plunge depth is one useful guiding figure, but it doesn't tell you how well the router will suit a table. The thing you also need to check is at what point the collet is when the plunge "bottoms out". I'm sure there's a term for this but it escapes me. I've got the DW625 and it's a good enough router, but the collet doesn't go beyond the bottom of the router's base. Thus if it's in a table, you have to use bits that have relatively long shafts to get past the thickness of the router table. I find that there are lots of bits I can't use in the Woodrat with my 625 as a result of this, including a Jesada keyhole bit that caused me all sorts of problems to use freehand :( .

From what I've read about the Triton, it can plunge deeper than this so that the collet plunges through a decent depth to cater for the thickness of a router table too, so you can use normal length bits. This must be a really great feature. Various sites sell collet extenders, which is like an extra collet on the end of a router shank. I've never liked the idea as it's just another thing that can work loose at 25,000 rpm!

Hope this adds another dimension for consideration,

AG

Ah, thanks Neil - I should have known by now that you wouldn't have got it wrong! :oops:

NeilCFD

Hi NeilCFD

NeilCFD":1u79kyan said:
Ah, thanks Neil - I should have known by now that you wouldn't have got it wrong!

You're way, way, way too kind and obviously mistaken about me. :oops:

All the best
Newbie_Neil

Back