Which Router Bit

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob1

Established Member
Reaction score
I,ve oredered myself a Bosch 1400 router which takes 1/4" and 8mm bits.
I imagine that the 8mm bits are superior to the 1/4" ones so they would be the ones to use...am I right in saying this???

Ideally yes. There is substantially more cross section area in the shaft.

For many bits, it isn't essential. If the option were a 1/4" bit from b and q on a Sunday afternoon or not do the job, you could use the 1/4", particularly those that are not doing much work.

1/4” bits are more readily available off the shelf and more commonly used.

Most people will have a selection of 1/4” bits for small details and a selection of 1/2” bits for heavier work

I'm metric for anything, tape measure, drill bits you name it.

Except router bits.

Don't try to fight it. Confusingly 1/4" or 1/2" are what I buy as another poster said, they tend to be easier/more common yet the actual diameters I use are all metric. In other words, my last purchase was a 1/4" shank 9mm diameter cutter - ugh!

It ****** me off, but that's the way it is.

From what I can tell it seems to be Euro countries are 8/12mm wheareas here in the UK we're stuck with 1/4 and 1/2 inch collets as the most common.

I would buy your workhorse bits in 8mm. Most of your routing will probably be covered by a few bits anyway. 8mm are not as common in stores, but easily enough to get online from Weldon, CMT (probably many others too). For small bits and one off, 1/4" will do fine. Anything that can potentially be used in a trim router I would buy in 1/4" so that you can get the trim router at some point and dont need more bits, eg rounder bits, chamfer bits.

Note that 1/4" is 6.35mm but will generally be marked as 1/4". 6mm is a different size which you dont get in the uk. They cant be mixed. 8mm bits are 8mm, they wont be given an imperial equivalent.

I use 1/4inch shank bits without problems, but I prefer 8mm. They don't vibrate so much as the 1/4" variety. It's the answer if you don't want a 1/2 router and 1/2" shank bits to duplicate all your 1/4" profiles!

Some commercial jigs are better used with 1/4 routers and cutters. (The smaller Keller jig for instance.)

John

Back