• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Which Router Bit

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Bob1

Established Member
Reaction score
I,ve oredered myself a Bosch 1400 router which takes 1/4" and 8mm bits.
I imagine that the 8mm bits are superior to the 1/4" ones so they would be the ones to use...am I right in saying this???

marcros

Established Member
Reaction score
Ideally yes. There is substantially more cross section area in the shaft.

For many bits, it isn't essential. If the option were a 1/4" bit from b and q on a Sunday afternoon or not do the job, you could use the 1/4", particularly those that are not doing much work.

LBCarpentry

Established Member
Reaction score
1/4” bits are more readily available off the shelf and more commonly used.

Most people will have a selection of 1/4” bits for small details and a selection of 1/2” bits for heavier work

mAtKINItice

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm metric for anything, tape measure, drill bits you name it.

Except router bits.

Don't try to fight it. Confusingly 1/4" or 1/2" are what I buy as another poster said, they tend to be easier/more common yet the actual diameters I use are all metric. In other words, my last purchase was a 1/4" shank 9mm diameter cutter - ugh!

It ****** me off, but that's the way it is.

From what I can tell it seems to be Euro countries are 8/12mm wheareas here in the UK we're stuck with 1/4 and 1/2 inch collets as the most common.

TRITON

Established Member
Reaction score
At college they always used CMT, so must have been suitable of intensive use.

marcros

Established Member
Reaction score
I would buy your workhorse bits in 8mm. Most of your routing will probably be covered by a few bits anyway. 8mm are not as common in stores, but easily enough to get online from Weldon, CMT (probably many others too). For small bits and one off, 1/4" will do fine. Anything that can potentially be used in a trim router I would buy in 1/4" so that you can get the trim router at some point and dont need more bits, eg rounder bits, chamfer bits.

Note that 1/4" is 6.35mm but will generally be marked as 1/4". 6mm is a different size which you dont get in the uk. They cant be mixed. 8mm bits are 8mm, they wont be given an imperial equivalent.

Benchwayze

Established Member
Reaction score
I use 1/4inch shank bits without problems, but I prefer 8mm. They don't vibrate so much as the 1/4" variety. It's the answer if you don't want a 1/2 router and 1/2" shank bits to duplicate all your 1/4" profiles!

Some commercial jigs are better used with 1/4 routers and cutters. (The smaller Keller jig for instance.)

John