Which Router and Plate Would You Recommend?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimbob

Reaction score
Hi all, I am new to woodworking and some advice on the following would be appreciated.

I am going to build a router table and require a good quality router and plate setup. I want to buy something that’s versatile and going to last, so build quality is important, does anyone have any suggestions? I was thinking about a router lift, but not too sure if it’s too advanced for a newbie.

Does anyone also know a good online shop where I can buy mitre tracks and associated router table components for the build?

Thanks for your advice in advance.
James

My tracks came from rutlands.

Router, either the Triton (big one) or Trend T11.

Both mean you don't need a lift but the trend you can fine adjust the cutter height from above table but without a collect extension you'll be changing the cutter under the table. The triton (my pref for in table) means you can change the cutter above the table, with this one you have to adjust the cutter height from under the table but unlike most other routers it has a rack and pinion setup for doing just this just by turning the handle. Its also faster then the above table from the Trend.

Hi jimbob and welcome, if your building a router table why not start simple and just install a router plate in your table and as you progress then like myself I have just installed a router lift, Tee Track and other bits to refine my table. I got most of my bits from Rutland Toolshttp://www.rutlands.co.uk/workshop-&-power-tool-accessories/router-tables-&-lifts, keep an eye out for their promotions and you can get some great bargains, but Axminster have a great selection as well.
Good luck with your build and let us all know how you get on.
Geoff.

Thanks for the advice Hudson Carpentry, is this the Triton model you recommend?
Triton 330165 Dual Mode Precision Plunge Router 2400W

James

jimbob":3473pxo9 said:
Thanks for the advice Hudson Carpentry, is this the Triton model you recommend?
Triton 330165 Dual Mode Precision Plunge Router 2400W
James
The latest Triton 330165 Dual Mode Router now has through the table winder - so height adjustments can be made from above. There's still a few of the older model about so be careful what you buy.

Hi James,

Here is a link for the latest Triton TRB001, Dennis will give you good service and answer any questions that you might have.

Thanks,
Neil

PS I have no connection with the web site, apart from being a satisfied customer.

Mine and the one I was recommending is the TRB001. Seems like the newer model has the above table height adjustment so there is nothing the tend offers better for table use. The Trend T11 is still my fav for hand held work.

Agree on the Triton. The rack and pinion is handy when you don`t have a router lift like me. I have a Jessem router plate, nicely made and has lasted well.

Also the Incra router fence is brilliant. It seems expensive but for the Quality and accuracy is outstanding.

Ollie

for an inexpensive router lift i used a scissor jack for cars. works very well for me. as for the router i use a Ryobi ERT-2100V 1/2" Router. it appears it has now been discontinued but it is a brilliant piece of kit.

I've got the Triton table, which I don't think is any thinner than the other plates on the market. I use the old model big Freud and as far as I remember, using the Woodrat plunge bars I just about manage to get the collett spanner on from above the table.

For height adjustement I use the plunge bars to get the cutter height about where I need it and then just reach under the table to get at the fine height adjuster and twiddle it to get the precise height I need.

That said, I believe the later Freud has through the plate adjustement.

Tony Spear":1bp3gnmk said:
That said, I believe the later Freud has through the plate adjustement.

It does, but Freud power tools are now discontinued. I have one in my table, great bit of kit.

hi jimbob

i'm new to serious woodworking too, & now retired have set up workshop in garden shed to make (small) wooden boxes, & ultimately a mandolin

i bought the smaller triton - 1400watt (i only have 13A supply) -MOF001 i think is the model

i am extremely pleased with it - i've used it hand held with no probs, but bought it specifically to fit into a table

i bought the triton (metal) router table, but found that was hopeless as far as any accuracy is concerned -i wouldnt recommend it unless you want to do very rough work

i've now made my own router table & fitted the triton router into it using a kreg plate (from rutlands & i bought the fixing brackets for it too - makes fitting a bit easier but adds to cost!)

you dont need a router lift - its very easy to reach under & wind the triton fine adjuster -i bought the above-table winder for it but havent bothered to fit it (it involves drilling a hole in the table top ) cos its so easy to adjust as it is

i assume the larger triton model is the same except more powerful -if so i'd fully recommend it (dont know about longevity tho!)

as for the table, i got my t-track from axminster - i'm not using it as a mitre track cos to do that you have to ensure the the fence & the track are absolutely parallel - which is way too fiddly for me -i use sleds made from 18mm mdf which are far easier to use & far mor adaptable as far as i can see - i use the t track for featherboards

hope thats of some help!

chris

Jimbob
If you've got cash to spare, then its easy to buy any of the kit recommended. I suppose that's what i would do now, but when i built my router table, i didnt have the preverbial pot!. So i did it on the cheap. I luckily now have a pot, as i'm a good few years older, and believe it or not i don't see a need to alter anyting on the original table i originally built. I built mine based on a new yankee workshop model from watching Sky, i recently copied the rise and fall from here. http://woodgears.ca/reader/hessam_routerlift.html cheap as chips, i had everything already in the shop. I work in the construction industry and i picked up scrap M10 rods from a skip, a 3mm steel leveling plate from some steel erector left overs and i used this to form the router mounting plate. You can spend money on the bespoke ones, but honestally all they are in steel plate and unless you buy the all singing and dancing ones with rise and fall, why bother!. Just get some steel plate. I'[m now an advocate of the old saying "necessity is the mother of invention" or in my case, when you don't have a pot to ..........

In real term of cash, it cost me two sheets of MDF and glue and screws and a load of shop left overs. Say £50-60 in today's language.

Happy to PM you the PDF plans if you want. Otherwise, if you have cash, go for factory built. :mrgreen:

Attachments

• 019-small.JPG
    019-small.JPG
    43 KB · Views: 1,374
I have 2 self built tables, large with an Incra Jig Ultra, and smaller with my own fence and guides. Both share a Jessem Rout r lift and DW625ek.

Back