Which pocket hole jig, and package ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LarryS.

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm in need of a pocket hole set-up for some odd jobs to do around the house, and eventually in my workshop (once built / setup). I'd rather get whatever set I will need for the long-term straight away, so I don't need to upgrade later - I prefer to buy once.

I'm leaning towards the kreg jig, but the choice of packages seems a bit over-complicated, and I am loathe to buy a box of assorted screws, when past experience of such sets means half of them never get used and the other half get used too quickly.

So any advice on which package / set to go with ? All help appreciated

I have looked for previous threads, but most seem to be out of date

thanks

Paul

Have a look if the budget will stretch at the Kreg Foreman, of all the packages, it seems to me to offer the very best of everything. Here's where I looked for mine.....it was the best price I could find......I'm not the seller, and it's a buy it now, multiple units available so I don't think I'm breaking any site rules?

EBay item no 301808548778

deema":28za6ugt said:
Have a look if the budget will stretch at the Kreg Foreman, of all the packages, it seems to me to offer the very best of everything. Here's where I looked for mine.....it was the best price I could find......I'm not the seller, and it's a buy it now, multiple units available so I don't think I'm breaking any site rules?

EBay item no 301808548778

crickey ! unfortunately the budget won't go quite that far ;-)

I'm thinking around the hundred pound mark, looks like on matt's link that is the k5 - anyone got one ?

thanks

I have the complete UJK kit from Axminster, does everything I need it to flawlessly.

The bits have a reputation for breaking but if you use a cordless drill and withdraw it frequently to clear shavings it should last OK.

I know of two people (including myself) with both sets who find the Kreg better than the UJK.

I have the UJK kit from Axminster and find it very good - within the limitations of pocket holes. The dust collection is very good, if as said above, the bit is withdrawn at least once during each drilling.

Looks like the k4 kreg is a tenner more and has the ujk functions, sounds like it's worth that, thanks for the input and advice

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Thanks Hemsby, looks like my mind has been made up :)

Most of the Kreg jigs come with the square driver. I think it's only the mini or micro that doesn't.

I've got the R3 (I think that's the model) and K5 and both are excellent. I started with the R3 and loved it but found that I wanted to use it more and it was a bit slow having to be cramped each time so I bought the K5 and that's great. Really quick to do multiple holes. I have mine mounted a piece of MDF so it's ready to go and I can clamp that to my bench. I have a hole in my MDF and just hang it up when I'm not using it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am looking at the k4, but I can sense a bit of buyers regret now if I don't get the k5!

The Kreg K4 does come with the Robertson (square drive) bit included, and a selection of sample screws. But you can get bits screws and drills fairly cheaply on Amazon.

One thing on bits - you need the long one. I can't see the purpose of the shorter one that's available - it'll reach the screws, but not when it's fitted in the screwdriver - the chuck gets in the way. It'll be the same, whichever type you choose, I'd think.

I think the side "wings" on the K5 make a big difference as well as the clamp. For me I didn't want to save £30 and to have the K4 and be constantly wishing I'd bought the K5, especially as I had the R3 already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was just going to mention Yandels

The main difference betwen the K4 &K5 is th K5 has a front operated clamping handle which is handy if you are drilling largish panels, you do not have to reach around the panel to lock it. At Yandels price I would now go for the K5, but just noticed with the yandels kit you do not appear to get the clamp

Back